HRM with or without GPS, which to buy?

Options
I really want to get a Heart rate monitor and track my calories burned, but I also jog and I am always trying to figure out my pace, distance etc, with maps and apps online. I've been doing some research and there are a few HRM with GPS available that are cheaper. Kind of afraid to order online incase it doesn't work properly and the hassle of returning things.
I've searched on the forums here for the "best hrm" but it seems nobody has the GPS kind.

Is it worth the extra money to get the GPS or should I just worry about the calories and continue to "figure out" my pace with good old fashioned math?

Any thoughts......

Replies

• johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone you can download one of the free apps that use the phones GPS (I use Runkeeper). It gives my pace, distance, speed, audibly as I run or ride and I upload all the info to their website where I can view all the GPS stuff - map, chart of my speed, topography, etc. It’s great and free! Oh, and it gives an estimate of calories burned but it is nowhere near as accurate as a real HRM. I love GPS data so I would be looking at a Garmin if I were buying.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405CX....I LOVE it. I got it for about $170 on Amazon. Costco has a Garmin 405 (and their return policy is awesome), but the 405 doesn't use the HR data to calculate the calories burned, so I opted for the 405CX because it does. It was really worth the extra $ for the GPS feature since it helps me pace my long runs so I don't get tired too quick (and I was really struggling with that before). Good luck with your search!
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also have the Garmin 405CX and I don't know how I ran without it before! A lot of people I know that have just the HRM have eventually upgraded. Don't waste you're money to just upgrade later. Trust me, you won't be disappointed! You can also get a foot pod for your shoe to wear with it as well to track your treadmill running.
  • robertbell5505
    robertbell5505 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went through the same decision process this past week and I did a lot of research. I just purchased a Garmin FR70 Fitness Watch with a Heart Rate Monitor. There is a foot pod that is sold separately that will track your runs and I may get this down the road. I decided to go with the less expensive model ($129) since this is my first HRM. I liked the Garmin Forerunner 305 ($250) and it had the best revews. I was surprised by the negative feedback on many of the other models. I guess it depends on your budget. I believe the FR60 is the older version and for women and I think the price point is even better. Polar would have been my next option. Good luck!
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can also get a foot pod for your shoe to wear with it as well to track your treadmill running.
    What is this foot pod thing? What does it do, how does it work and how much more money is it?
  • kyrstensmom
    Options
    You can also get a foot pod for your shoe to wear with it as well to track your treadmill running.
    What is this foot pod thing? What does it do, how does it work and how much more money is it?

The footpod is for tracking distance on the treadmill since obviously the GPS won't work. I didn't bother to buy it because its around $60 (from what I remember) and I only run on the treadmill when I absolutely have to, and it tracks the distance for me (although probably not perfectly accurate, but close enough).
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I got the Garmin 360 or 460 (I can't remember) and I returned it because the GPS was tied to the calorie burn calculation - awesome except when I was working out indoors or where I didn't have a good signal, it didn't work! :o( So then I got the Polar RS300 with the foot pod... I didn't get the foot pod right away because it was expensive. When I finally got it - it was humongous! So I never use it because I can't stand to have this gigantic thing on my shoe when I am working out...

Foot pod for sale if anyone wants it. :o)
  • kimmyj74
    kimmyj74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I should have included that I want to track my pace, distance when I run outside. I only use the Dreadmill in the winter and hate it, LOL.
  • kyrstensmom
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405CX....I LOVE it. I got it for about $170 on Amazon. Costco has a Garmin 405 (and their return policy is awesome), but the 405 doesn't use the HR data to calculate the calories burned, so I opted for the 405CX because it does. It was really worth the extra $ for the GPS feature since it helps me pace my long runs so I don't get tired too quick (and I was really struggling with that before). Good luck with your search!

This is what I have, It's pretty nice. I also have a foot pod (for the treadmill). I personally don't even use the GPS, i don't run outside right now just on the treadmill. The GPS cuts out sometimes from my understanding and can mess up your pace i believe. It's more for "maps" and "trails" If that's not your concern, then just get a cheaper one with a foot pod.

It's not like you don't know were you're going, or you're going to get lost...

I use the GPS all the time and I have never had it cut out...that might change if I start doing trail runs, but from the reviews I read before I bought it, most people said it worked well for those, too. There are no Maps on the GPS, so its not super useful if you get lost..it will give you the general direction you came from.
  • MandieMarieF
    MandieMarieF Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've done 1/2 marathon trail runs, ran in the dunes, in heavy wooded areas etc. The only place i've had my garmin have a couple gps issues is when i ran a few races and the marathon in downtown chicago. However it will find you and won't be off with milage by much if any. Pace gets interruped during this time too, but only for an instance til a different satilite finds you. If you rarely run on the treadmill, don't worry about the foot pod. I just like to plug in my ant+ and have it all download from the watch without having to type in my indoor runs so i went ahead and got it. Also, my calories with this watch isn't tied to the gps, just as long as you have the HRM on, the calories will tick away satilite reception or not!