Oatmeal / wind - will it settle

Options
drift
drift Posts: 143 Member
Hi, have recently added oatmeal with some fruit for breakfast and am finding it gives me a lot of wind by afternoon. Will this settle down? I have IBS so don't need any more issues with my colon!

Any advice welcome

Replies

• ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    Hmm...oatmeal with fresh or dried fruit doesn't do that to me so I really have no advice.
    Maybe try it for a time and see if it gets better or worse...
    Is this what you do when you try something new with your IBS??
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Haven't had that problem with oatmeal, but green, leafy veggies and cruciferous (sp?) vegetables like broccoli. Phew!!!

I noticed that if I don't drink enough water, it tends to be worse. Hydrating makes a huge difference!

Incidentally, I do not have IBS, but hubs does (and won't modify his diet to improve it). So, at night, I get my revenge!!! Bwahahahaha!!
  • drift
    Options
    Several IBS sites recommend oatmeal, my daughter loves it so I thought I'd give it a try. I use soya milk and make it in the microwave,maybe I'll try soaking the oats overnight, or just give up if it doesn't ease- will give it a week
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's not the soy milk?
  • drift
    Options
    Doesn't affect me that way cold on cereal, would warming it cause the reaction?

(going off to google it)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'd say its the fruit. If you eat fruit with carbs the fruit ferments in your stomach. Try eating fruit first, wait 20 mins and then eat the oats. I also suffer from IBS and only eat fruit on its own or with ice cream....seem ok for some reason....

Just experiment with your own body. One fix does not fit all! :flowerforyou: .
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I too have IBS, but I don't seem to react to Oatmeal...
    Though I tend to have fibrous things in the oatmeal, which probably "pushes" everything through, eliminating the gas.
    The only fruits I have in it are strawberries and berries. Dried fruits could potentially irritate you.

Is your soy milk a "light" one which is easy on the sugar? I tend to get incredibly gassy if I have a ridiculously processed soy milk with a lot of sugar in it. In Australia, we have vitasoy lite soy milky which is fairly low in sugar. But I remember when I lived in America they had Silk, which also seemed okay.
  • drift
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, it was dried fruits, so I'll cut them out and try again...