Eating once per day

Options

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    On the weekdays I eat once a day at the end of the day.
  • onegoal2
    Options
    Not Monday -Friday, I tried and it does not work. To much going on, you need energy to feel good. The weekends work well as its more of a relaxed pace for me. I eat at about 2PM and am done the rest of the day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what the point of fasting is? I eat a lot of food(low calorie clean food) and I am losing weight and my diet is something I can stick to for the rest of my life. Why would you do this type of technique unless you were training for something and you have to weigh in at a certain weight at a given time? Like a mma fighter for example. This type of diet is not long term and I am willing to bet most people who lose a lot of weight this way will end up putting it back on at some point.

Not trying to be a ****...just would like the logic behind it and learn from why you think it's the way to go!

First of all if you are having success with your current plan then I wouldn't change it regardless of what I or anyone else says about IF.

In my opinion, the biggest reason to do IF is satiety. Eating 2000 calories in 1 or 2 meals doesn't feel like dieting AT ALL. It feels like eating really big-*kitten* meals, and it's amazing for some people.

Most people get used to the fasting portion because ghrelin (hunger signaling hormone) is somewhat adaptive to behavior.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Curious-bump
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Not Monday -Friday, I tried and it does not work. To much going on, you need energy to feel good. The weekends work well as its more of a relaxed pace for me. I eat at about 2PM and am done the rest of the day.

I really like this Idea and was contiplating it when I came across your post. Seems its not just me who thinks that way. Good to know! lol But my question is how has it affected your weight loss?!?

I have never been a structured meal person. And I would never do more than coffee at best for breakfast. I might or might not grab a snack mid day but then in the evening I would eat a big meal. But I think it was the combination of working from home and not eating well that really put the weight on me! I am doing the 6 mini meal thing but I am still just not happy with how my weight loss is going because while I am losing weight and eating more in the day it seems like I am hungry more as well so its more inconvient... But I know that I do loose weight this way so we will see what I decided in the long run. I might add the big meal concept to my weekend regimine since that is when I am most busy and don't have the time to eat anyway!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what the point of fasting is? I eat a lot of food(low calorie clean food) and I am losing weight and my diet is something I can stick to for the rest of my life. Why would you do this type of technique unless you were training for something and you have to weigh in at a certain weight at a given time? Like a mma fighter for example. This type of diet is not long term and I am willing to bet most people who lose a lot of weight this way will end up putting it back on at some point.

Not trying to be a ****...just would like the logic behind it and learn from why you think it's the way to go!

First of all if you are having success with your current plan then I wouldn't change it regardless of what I or anyone else says about IF.

In my opinion, the biggest reason to do IF is satiety. Eating 2000 calories in 1 or 2 meals doesn't feel like dieting AT ALL. It feels like eating really big-*kitten* meals, and it's amazing for some people.

Most people get used to the fasting portion because ghrelin (hunger signaling hormone) is somewhat adaptive to behavior.

Oh yeah I found something I like, I used to eat once a day because I was un healthy and eating MCD's all the time and then I switched to my current lifestyle and it is amazing.

I just seem to think this fasting thing would be better suited to people in shape or maintaining instead of over weight people like myself. The way I see it is this, I got over weight by unhealthy eating habbits and now I am eating the way I intend to eat for the rest of my life. Fasting and eating big portions seems to be a short term thing. Especcially for big people because they will lose weight but once they reach their goal, they will probably start eating more during the day and put it back on.

BTW not saying my way is right and you guys are wrong...just curious
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I personally can not do this....I get very jittery and actually feel 'sick' if I don't eat.

My husband though, he can go till the afternoon before he eats.

To each their own, whatever works for you go for it!!
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I eat once a day just before bed. I like putting away 5-6lbs of food in a sitting. Feel much more energetic without food in my stomach. Getting stronger in the gym, getting leaner while stuffing my face is awesome.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    All in moderation. Balance is key right? :)
    I think that's a good plan when you know you're going to have a high calorie meal (dinner party, etc)
    What i'll do is munch on really light snacks like grapes or salad (without dressing) so i dont go into starvation and get delirious. :D

Starvation mode is a myth. You know that right?

but the side effects of being hungry are real.

Hunger is not starvation or starvation mode and should not be treated as such.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bump! lots of interesting info here.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Fasting is very bad. It's dangerous. It serves no purpose. It does not help your health, weight loss or anything else. As to eating once a day = that's just stupid. The human body is designed to eat a number of times throughout the day. Small, healthy meals. This keeps the blood sugar and the metabolism is good working order. Eating once a day will screw up your system and do a good deal of damage.

Wow, some people have no clue.

If it is so dangerous to do then it is mighty funny that I have been able to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes back to insulin resistance and I am on the borderline of being back to normal now.

I partake in Intermitent Fasting along with a controlled carb eating plan. My blood sugar has never been more stable than eating a high fat, moderate protein and low to moderate carb meal.

I am a recovered bulimic and this gives me freedom from food where I am not obessing.

To the OP, most people that do intermittent fasting and eat once or twice a day are eating very nutrient dense foods when they do eat.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think if I were to eat lik this I would eat one big meal in the early afternoon then...I think that would be better than eating late at night.

Also, by doing this you'd really have to focus on drinking a lot more water throughout the day. Ensure you are hydrated for energy.
  • Crystal_R84
    Crystal_R84 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and maybe an apple or nuts and then big bowl of roasted veggies with tofu for dinner when I am cleansing. I also workout hard on top of that like my usual. Drink tons of water. Feels good.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I think that's a good plan when you know you're going to have a high calorie meal (dinner party, etc)
    What i'll do is munch on really light snacks like grapes or salad (without dressing) so i dont go into starvation and get delirious. :D

^^ for me. I couldn't do IF...I get lightheaded, shaky and dizzy if I don't eat every 2 to three hours (except when sleeping). It works great for some, not for others!!

You are getting the lightheaded, shaky and dizzy feelings if you don't eat every couple of hours due to the high carb (processed grains).
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a while now and I enjoy it. I wake up at 6 - get my coffee with minimal additions (10-20 cals) and may have a few pieces of gum throughout the day along with whatever water I end up drinking. I enjoy dinner with my family and usually continue eating until my calories / macros have been satisfied. Sometimes just before I hop in bed.

Eating for most of us is a learned behavior, so when we start trying to change the way we've been brought up, there's some psychological resistance.

There has been no effect on muscle mass, nor will there be. I eat a normal, variety of foods, usually of which I've planned ahead for.

Eat in the fashion that allows you to best adhere to your diet.

I am impressed by your " matter of fact " presence and I concur that it is not for everyone. Although most in the medical profession would strongly disagree with you ... I find that " whatever " works for you is what is best for you. And from what I can see in your picture ... it definitely works for you ! Just sayin' :wink:
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Fasting is very bad. It's dangerous. It serves no purpose. It does not help your health, weight loss or anything else. As to eating once a day = that's just stupid. The human body is designed to eat a number of times throughout the day. Small, healthy meals. This keeps the blood sugar and the metabolism is good working order. Eating once a day will screw up your system and do a good deal of damage.

Wow, some people have no clue.

If it is so dangerous to do then it is mighty funny that I have been able to reverse my Type 2 Diabetes back to insulin resistance and I am on the borderline of being back to normal now.

I partake in Intermitent Fasting along with a controlled carb eating plan. My blood sugar has never been more stable than eating a high fat, moderate protein and low to moderate carb meal.

I am a recovered bulimic and this gives me freedom from food where I am not obessing.

To the OP, most people that do intermittent fasting and eat once or twice a day are eating very nutrient dense foods when they do eat.

It is kinda funny, if human's were not able to function at 100% in a fasted state we would have died out long ago. It really wasnt until this last century the 3 square meals a day was the norm.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I'm thinking she meant starvation as in "i'm starving and I'm going to eat everything in sight" starvation. Not stavation mode. It's just an expression. Not everything has to be so literal :)
  • zelzega
    Options

exactly! Being dizzy due to not eating is a very real feeling (I try to eat every 4-5 hours or else the room spins on me). Not to mention the painful cramps from my stomach saying "feed me"
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I tried this once for a few weeks and ended up getting really sick, so just be careful! There's no reason to do this
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I have people on my friends list who do this, I think it's stupid personally because I read their updates of hunger, and they're in awesome shape, but the problem I see and someone has pointed out. it may have good physical benefits but it's making them a bit screwy, your body gets hungry for a reason, it needs fuel, it's hungry. so yep it works, but so does eating 500calories and taking pregnant lady pee.