Female question....

Options
I had Mirena put in two weeks ago and in the pamphlet that I got from the doctor's office it said that it does NOT cause weight gain. Well... my sister just told me that she read online somewhere that is DOES cause weight gain. Now, I'm paranoid that I'm going to gain weight from it. My question is, do any of you have this and if so have you experienced any weight gain from it?

Thanks a bunch!!

Replies

• Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    I had Mirena put in two weeks ago and in the pamphlet that I got from the doctor's office it said that it does NOT cause weight gain. Well... my sister just told me that she read online somewhere that is DOES cause weight gain. Now, I'm paranoid that I'm going to gain weight from it. My question is, do any of you have this and if so have you experienced any weight gain from it?

Thanks a bunch!!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options

Thanks a bunch!!

Did you get the one with hormones??? I was going to get that but the one with hormones may key word "may" cause weight gain.... im on the depo shot and that causes big time weight gain but only if you allow it too... keep working hard and eating right and you shouldn't gain anything...
  • Philde04
    Options
    yes, it releases horomones. I will really have to kick it up a notch now, esp after the weekend that I had and having Chick -Fil-A for lunch today :( I feel so disguisting now!! Thanks!!!
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena after my 2nd daughter was born - loved it!

Yes, it has hormones, but the concentration is so low that it is localized (meaning only influences the uterus where it is inserted) - it is not systematic (like birth control pills or depo shots that have to travel through your blood stream, thus affecting your whole body.)

I had no ill effects from Mirena, and had it removed to have baby #3, and now hubby is fixed so I'm done with the BC thing.
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm coming up on my 5th year so need to have it replaced soon.

No weight gain for me. No more PMS which was a GOD send. No periods.

B U T

it hurt like a mother%$#@ having it inserted.........

I'm hoping my OB/GYN can drug me up with something the next time I go. :cry:
  • Shanimal84
    Options
    Any kind of birth control that releases hormones MAY put you at a risk to gain weight. The best way to handle it is to continue on your weight loss goals (eating healthier, exercising, etc) and see how you're doing in 2-3 months. One month won't give you enough time to accurately see how your body is reacting to the medication.

Hopefully, with enough dedication to your program, along with drinking plenty of water, you shouldn't see anything substantially negative on the scale. Also, instead of just reading the pamplet you picked up in the doctor's office, I would recommend talking to your doctor instead. Express your concerns over the side effects and he or she may be able to recommend another route.

Best of luck to ya hon! :wink:
  • MFS27
    Options
    I'm coming up on my 5th year so need to have it replaced soon.

No weight gain for me. No more PMS which was a GOD send. No periods.

B U T

it hurt like a mother%$#@ having it inserted.........

I'm hoping my OB/GYN can drug me up with something the next time I go. :cry:

My doc told me to come in the office for insertion near or during my period (yuck, I know), but the cervix is at its widest during this time, thus making insertion (or the prying open of the cervix for insertion) less painful.

You have no periods at all? Wow, lucky! Mine were very light and short (3 days max), whereas normally (i.e. now) I'm on the heavy side, sigh. The only side effect I didn't like was cramping - I normally NEVER cramp at all, but with the Mirena, I had noticable (but not unbearable) cramping around TOM. Still minor cramping was a small price to pay for reliable BC :laugh:
  • melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    I absolutely loved mine! I didn't have wieght gain either. I don't want to alarm you but, make sure you feel for the string every now and then! I hadn't checked for mine and when I did there was way too much string and I felt the iud!!!! YES, it fell out about a year after I had it in. I want it again though!!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm another who loves it. I've had for about 8 months and haven't noticed any weight gain that I could blame on it. I only felt a little pinch during insertion and have had no issues with it. I don't have a cycle at all. I recommend it to all I know.
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Has anybody who does NOT have children, had mirena put in?

I really want to use something like that, but my doctor will not give it to women who have no children. Despite the fact I say I do not want any children now, 5 years from now, or ever.

Is there a valid reason she wouldn't give it to somebody without kids?
  • Philde04
    Options

I really want to use something like that, but my doctor will not give it to women who have no children. Despite the fact I say I do not want any children now, 5 years from now, or ever.

I've never heard of that before!! I would go to a different doctor. My doctor told me that the prime candidate for Mirena is someone who has had at least one vaginal birth, but it is NOT a requirement. I think they just say that b/c it is usually less painful when inserted if you've given birth before, but I didn't think it was painful when I had it put in. My cousin has no children and had one put in. I would switch doctors if I were you.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

a co-worker of mine who hasn't had children has it- check with another opinion on this-
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    You will only gain weight if you over eat- The hormones in it are localized to where they are placed- You are good to go its not like a pill or the depo shot- So rest easy- eat right and workout Best of luck
  • mrsyac2
    Options

At my office we place them all the time the main restrictions is you need to be in a serious committed relationship because if you contract an STD it can be really bad
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    At my office we place them all the time the main restrictions is you need to be in a serious committed relationship because if you contract an STD it can be really bad

Yeah, I told my doctor that I have been with my boyfriend for 5 years and he's the first and only sexual partner.

I guess I do need to talk to a different doctor.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The reason why Dr's don't like inserting IUD's in woman who have never had children before is because your cervix has not been stretched out due to childbirth.

They can do it but if you haven't had a kid I hear it hurts like a B*TCH. REALLY painful.

I would LOVE an IUD but I'll wait until after I have kids.

I've also heard some horror stories from friends ~ Uterus being punctured by it, husbands/boyfriends being poked by it, etc.
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    The reason why Dr's don't like inserting IUD's in woman who have never had children before is because your cervix has not been stretched out due to childbirth.

They can do it but if you haven't had a kid I hear it hurts like a B*TCH. REALLY painful.

I would LOVE an IUD but I'll wait until after I have kids.

I've also heard some horror stories from friends ~ Uterus being punctured by it, husbands/boyfriends being poked by it, etc.

Not everyone is meant for an IUD I know I wasn't- From the time I had mine put in it hurt- It hurt more after sex and my husband felt it- which shouldn't be happening- but low and behold its because my body isn't meant to have it and it needed to come out
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My sister has it and that skinny heffer gets on my nerves but I love her. Anyway I had but removed it to have more kids and the dr did tell me there was a chance of wt gain as one of the side effects but she said if I started and exercise routine and ate healthy it could help.
  • MFS27
    Options

I don't think NOT having children would be an automatic disqualification. If I remember correctly, my pracitioner told me that women who have NOT had children have a higher expulsion rate (meaning the uterus pushes the IUD out). I had birthed two children when I had my first IUD, and I expelled it, but my second stayed put.

Second MD opinion seems to be the way to go. :)
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

I have the Mirena. I've not had children and intend to keep it that way.

Absolutely see another dr.