Apple Cider Vinegar & weightloss???????

Options

Replies

• SOFTBALLMOM11
    SOFTBALLMOM11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I drink the Bragg brand with " the mother"... suposed to have great benefits!!
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    For those who do "research" they sure do a sh*tty job of it. Google health benefits of apple cider vinegar. You'll find all that you need to know. If you're interested in speeding up your metabolism spicy food works too. Google that as well.

GOOGLE is your problem.

Google is great for quick but unreliable info.

I get my info from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ which has hundreds of thousands of research article from thousands of peer-reviewed scientific journals. The quality of the journals vary. The quality of the articles vary. So I don't read just one article when looking for info. I skim through years worth of abstracts, get a feel for the general consensus, and then I start digging into the nitty-gritty.

Spicy foods don't speed up your metabolism either.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Just back from an awesome Hot Yoga Class! Thanks Spinqueen for the info!!!!!! Looks great I am heading out tomorrow to get some Braggs! That grapefruit formula looks interesting!

Glad to here others have heard good things! Many Thanks
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Apple Cider Vinegar but I did experiment with Apple Cider on Friday night.

I didn't lose any weight but I lost the whole weekend.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Apple Cider Vinegar but I did experiment with Apple Cider on Friday night.

I didn't lose any weight but I lost the whole weekend.
    Did you check under your couch cushions?
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    hey guys!

I just started making my own ACV vinegar just yesterday, takes about a month so I heard but its way easy, just chop up about 12 apples, cover with water (in a big plastic bowl) cover with a clean tea towel and stir everday until the bubbles stop. You can then bottle it and use as you like. I'm really curious to see if its gunna work out and what it'll taste like.

Its also really good as an anti fungal, so for candida overgrowth and to put healthy bacteria back into your tummy etc

You just reminded me I need to go stir it (I sound like a witch lol!)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    hey guys!

I just started making my own ACV vinegar just yesterday, takes about a month so I heard but its way easy, just chop up about 12 apples, cover with water (in a big plastic bowl) cover with a clean tea towel and stir everday until the bubbles stop. You can then bottle it and use as you like. I'm really curious to see if its gunna work out and what it'll taste like.

Its also really good as an anti fungal, so for candida overgrowth and to put healthy bacteria back into your tummy etc

That will be much cheaper than buying Bragg's! I'd love to know how it turns out...

I've thought about trying to make kim chi, just haven't yet... I have found the perfect recipe to use when I do though.
  • Flissbo
    Options
    hey guys!

That will be much cheaper than buying Bragg's! I'd love to know how it turns out...

I've thought about trying to make kim chi, just haven't yet... I have found the perfect recipe to use when I do though.

It should be a lot cheaper - unless it goes mouldy or something and I have to start again lol!! Will try and remember to post back here when its done to let you all know how it goes!
  • Flissbo
    Options
    ps whats kim chi???
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I HAVE USED IT QUITE A BIT
    AND I CAN TELL IT TAKES THAT PUFFY FEELING AWAY...
    DEFINITELY HELPS WITH WATER RETENTION AND BLOATING
    ALSO GOOD FOR THE CANIDA
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know how vinegar affects the metabolism and such but I KNOW that I've read somewhere (I don't remember where, sorry) that vinegar helps slow the digestion of carbs, which will help you to feel fuller for longer and I THINK also keep your blood sugar more stable because of the slower digestion of carbs...

Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I vaguely remember.
  • snow00774
    Options
    Hoping someone can help - when I eat most fruits (apples particularly)I have awful stomach pain and bloating so I've been looking into a FODMAP diet and cutting out fruits entirely. The last two weeks have been awesome in terms of way less tummy pain and bloating.

If I was to start taking ACV either in pills or liquid would this be similar to eating an apple again? Even typing that out feels like a dumb question, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I'd like to try it for other benefits (joint pain etc.) but not of the cost of bringing those horrible symptoms back . Help!
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like the Bragg's brand. I've read in multiple places that it has multiple benefits, especially the "mother" (that's the leftover apple that floats in it. Only criticism I heard was one person brought up that it was so acidic that drinking "too much" can be hurtful to your esophagus, but failed to mention how much is too much. I tried a week long mix of a small pour of Braggs unfiltered apple cider vinegar, a table spoon of baking soda, about 15 oz water, and about 5 oz organic apple juice. and drank throughout the morning. The baking soda has multiple cleansing properties and was a suggestion to reduce the acidity of the vinegar. I would say it was a pleasant experience! My cousin uses it when she feels a cold coming on, she adds a little to her hot tea. I don't know about the weight loss/diet suppressant part but I do believe people have had positive experience with it for general health.

Please be aware this is VERY bad for your teeth. Especially when drunk in this way - over several hours.
    If you choose to drink it, drink it all in one go, at mealtimes.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    For those who do "research" they sure do a sh*tty job of it. Google health benefits of apple cider vinegar. You'll find all that you need to know. If you're interested in speeding up your metabolism spicy food works too. Google that as well.

GOOGLE is your problem.

I get my info from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/ which has hundreds of thousands of research article from thousands of peer-reviewed scientific journals. The quality of the journals vary. The quality of the articles vary. So I don't read just one article when looking for info. I skim through years worth of abstracts, get a feel for the general consensus, and then I start digging into the nitty-gritty.

You may find this interesting- http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

A side note, responding to the webmd reference;

" Despite the sensational claims made for vinegar diets and other fad diets, there are no quick fixesto weightloss.Experts recommend losing weight slowly, at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week, for lasting results." - http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-or-truth-vinegar-helps-you-lose-weight

" Right now, there is not enough evidence that apple cider vinegar -- or any vinegar -- has any health benefit for any condition. Since the benefits are unknown, so are the risks." - http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=3
  • PositivePower
    Options
    Hoping someone can help - when I eat most fruits (apples particularly)I have awful stomach pain and bloating so I've been looking into a FODMAP diet and cutting out fruits entirely. The last two weeks have been awesome in terms of way less tummy pain and bloating.

If I was to start taking ACV either in pills or liquid would this be similar to eating an apple again? Even typing that out feels like a dumb question, I'm assuming the answer is yes, but I'd like to try it for other benefits (joint pain etc.) but not of the cost of bringing those horrible symptoms back . Help!

Hummm..I have no idea...the amount of apple in it would be sooooo small I would hope it's wouldn't effect you in the same way...but that is TOTALLY your call :smile:

Have a Great weekend all!!!! I love Friday's
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

GOOGLE is your problem.

You may find this interesting- http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/04/houston-we-have-problem-apple-cider.html

A side note, responding to the webmd reference;

" Despite the sensational claims made for vinegar diets and other fad diets, there are no quick fixesto weightloss.Experts recommend losing weight slowly, at a rate of 1-2 pounds per week, for lasting results." - http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-or-truth-vinegar-helps-you-lose-weight

" Right now, there is not enough evidence that apple cider vinegar -- or any vinegar -- has any health benefit for any condition. Since the benefits are unknown, so are the risks." - http://www.webmd.com/diet/apple-cider-vinegar?page=3

Interesting.

I also googled and read some PubMed articles... the summary of one states: "For more than 2000 years, vinegar has been used to flavor and preserve foods, heal wounds, fight infections, clean surfaces, and manage diabetes. Although vinegar is highly valued as a culinary agent, some varieties costing $100 per bottle, much scrutiny surrounds its medicinal use. Scientific investigations do not support the use of vinegar as an anti-infective agent, either topically or orally. Evidence linking vinegar use to reduced risk for hypertension and cancer is equivocal. However, many recent scientific investigations have documented that vinegar ingestion reduces the glucose response to a carbohydrate load in healthy adults and in individuals with diabetes. There is also some evidence that vinegar ingestion increases short-term satiety. Future investigations are needed to delineate the mechanism by which vinegar alters postprandial glycemia and to determine whether regular vinegar ingestion favorably influences glycemic control as indicated by reductions in hemoglobin A1c. Vinegar is widely available; it is affordable; and, as a remedy, it is appealing. But whether vinegar is a useful adjunct therapy for individuals with diabetes or prediabetes has yet to be determined."

There's hardly any nutrients or vitamins in vinegar... that was not so surprising to me. I've always believed it's the fermentation in raw ACV that gives it any value whatsoever.

I don't take it daily, but I do consume raw ACV on occasion, and I'll continue to do so. I put 1 TB in a glass of water and drink it. I think the risks are minimal, and I'm hoping that it turns out that it does have anticancer properties, and the lowering of the blood glucose and short term satiety are good enough for me.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I just read about the benefits of apple cider vinegar tonight by researching foods high in HCL. A lot of good information at:

http://www.foodscout.org/benefits/hydrochloric_acid.html

and

http://www.livestrong.com/article/292143-what-foods-are-high-in-hydrochloric-acid/
  • wishiwas70
    wishiwas70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Vinegar lowers GI of food maybe this is why?
  • PositivePower
    Options
    Ok I went out and got some Braggs ACV!!! WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't drink it straight!!!!!!!!!!! I thought..really only a tablespoon no big deal... so I had a shot of it...OMG it burned all the way down. So I really need to mix it in something like a few here have suggested. Or maybe go for the pills.

Enjoy the weekend MFP :drinker:
  • obeyweezy
    Options
    For the people who are saying apple cider vinegar for weight loss is a scam... no.
    I take a shot of it before every meal, and I've noticed my metabolism is faster, I feel full faster, so I eat less, and I've lost 140 pounds since March. However, I've also changed the way I eat, and I walk at least 10 miles a week.