Obese Teen

Options
. I have been struggling with my weight ever since I was a kid. I gained most of my weight when i broke my hip and had surgery and surgery on my other hip, and I was in a wheelchair for awhile and i was in crutches for alomst a year. I have finally decided to take the step towards losing weight to feel better physically and emotionally.

Replies

• Mylissa6
    Mylissa6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have been faced with some challenges already in your young life and your weight loss journey will be another challenge. However, if you are motivated and committed to becoming healthier and more fit than you will succeed. If you still have problems with your hips maybe try swimming or water aerobics, I would assume they would be lower impact. Best of luck and look forward to seeing you in the future with your before and after pics.
  • 42micheller42
    Options
    Hello There!
    Yaaayy for you ...it must be hard as a young person to not feel like your best self ...there is so much emphasis when you are young on what is on the out side . My daughter , 17, has a weight issue creeping up on her ( but she won't hear it from me!) I try so hard to not make it an issue but she seems to put words in my mouth and get mad at me for the silliest things regarding food and her weight. The other day she was trying on a dress for a formal dance ..it was XL and she couldn't get it on. I truthfully thought it looked small for a XL and told her that . But she freaked out and said " you're just saying that ..people say that stuff when they don't want to tell someone they are fat !!" This morning she was out of clean clothes and for the first time in her entire life she asked to borrow a pair of my jeans ..well I am a size 10 ( was a size 20 , 3 years ago and the weight is creeping back on so that is why I am on here) and she is a size 16 so I knew they wouldn't fit her but apparently she is under the impression that we are the same size.. I just said I "didn't think she would like the way they fit because they are "mom jeans"..she said .."you are saying I am too fat for them !!!" Help !!! Any words of wisdom from from a young girl's perspective would be appreciated...did your mom "bug" you without really trying? Ps ..I sent you a friend request :smile:
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Taking the first step is the hard thing to do and you did it. Physical ailments could curtail some of the activities we could do but never let them become show stoppers. Now that you have set your goal, work hard to achieve it . This is an incredible journey and what keeps me going is the support, education and the success stories on MFP. Reading the stories and seeing before and after pictures are truly inspiring and motivating to look forward to achieve our goal. I lost 10 pounds in less than a month since I joined MFP. It is certainly an achievable transformation. Never give up. Good luck!
  • tpoland10
    Options
    Hi, everybody I am new here but I am already seeing progress even though I lost only 6 pounds which is water weight I am determined to keep going and to achieve my goal of 180 pounds. I am a 19 year old girl from Maryland and I weigh 250 pounds. I recently gained so much weight since I moved in with my boyfriend. I am now counting calories and keeping a log of my daily intake. I exercise on my treadmill at home for 35 minutes a day and do 20 minutes of Just Dance 3 lls. I would appreciate any tips on at home exercises and healthy recipes.:smooched:
  • shellham1
    shellham1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    good for you for starting! you can totally do this! WELCOME:flowerforyou:
  • 42micheller42
    Options
    I remember when my husband and I got together (20 years ago) I gained weight steadily ..I realized that I was eating the portions that he was and he was a bigger person and more active ..it took me about 15 years to figure that out unfortunately and I ended up close to 240...I just signed up also ..GOOD LUCK to you!!:bigsmile: