this is ridiculous

Options
I had managed to lose about 5lbs in my two first wks, which was great...i ate like a normal person Sunday, Monday and today i gained it all back? Why? this is just so frustrating, and it saddens me so much that i will never be able to eat like a normal person..sorry had to vent

Replies

• nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    I had managed to lose about 5lbs in my two first wks, which was great...i ate like a normal person Sunday, Monday and today i gained it all back? Why? this is just so frustrating, and it saddens me so much that i will never be able to eat like a normal person..sorry had to vent
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    its probably just water weight. you would have has to eat ridiculous amounts of food in order to gain back 5 pounds in 2 days. and it takes times to learn how to eat. part of being on this site is to train yourself to eat better.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It takes 3500 calories OVER what you need to maintain your body weight to gain a pound of fat. If you ate 3500 OVER what you need, then that's not eating normally!

It's more likely you had water weight gain due to sodium intake, not drinking enough water, alcohol, whatnot. Drink tons of water, flush it out of your system.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by eating like a normal person? You can eat like a normal person, just in moderation. That is the key. I think people have lost sight as to what an actual normal portion of food is. Everything is supersized these days, it can make it hard to know how much you are suppose to really eat. If you go to Cheesecake Factory, their portions are huge and people should not eat everything on their plate.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    What exactly is a "normal" person? Do you mean average? Typical? If so - the average typical American is overweight and many obese. The problem with our "normal" diets today is they are anything but normal...they are abnormal - abnormally high in calories, fat, sodium, etc. given our typical lifestyle. For years we have been told we have to watch what we eat and exercise - I am sure you have heard that over and over - that is what "normal" is supposed to be...unfortunately most of us have actually been "abnormal". Just food for thought!
  • brookefoley
    brookefoley Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way.... but "normal" eating in our society is usually portions that are too big, and not enough exercise. Not sure what your personal situation is, but ... something to consider.
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
  • melbug25
    melbug25 Posts: 50
    Options
    I totally understand your frustration! Please don't give up! I slacked for a while and didn't loose any but slowly started gaining again, so here I am back on the wagon! What I have decided is that eating healthy is what I have to do forever, I will still eat my favorites but only a small portion and not stuff myself! I love food too much!! But don't give up, we are all in this together!!
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    THey're all rikght.

Water weight can cause your weight to flux up to 5 pounds in a single day. Weigh yourself each morning when you get up - before eating or drinking - for accurate results. :flowerforyou:
  • nikki4ever
    Options
    Well, by normal is that i had a piece of cake after lunch on saturday, and on sunday morning had some oreos, and a sandwich at night. (just stuff i would not eat) And did not weigh myself sunday or monday, just right now after lunch...could this be it? can you really weigh that much more after lunch?
    thankss
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I agree with brookefoley. I think that what we often term 'normal' is not normal. 1400-1600 cals in a day is healthful, regardless of what is normally consumed around us on a daily basis. Don't despair. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

No one gains 5lbs of body fat in 2 days unless they happen to be a feed-lot cow whose corn is mixed with cement dust... and even then, I don't think that is body fat :happy: :happy: :happy: :glasses:
  • heather93277
    Options
    I tend to agree that it's probably water weight.. especially if the foods you ate were like the foods my sister served at her Easter meal LOL! We're talking: ham, twice baked potatoes, corn, baked beans, salad (ok that's one good thing haha), rolls... even in moderation, there's a lot of salt/sodium in those foods and could cause bloating. Drink extra water for a couple days and see if that helps :wink: (and don't forget to "get back on the wagon" with your eating)
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    And lock the scale away somewhere and only pull it out at a set time once a week or twice a month... seriously... :noway:

We end up playing psychological warfare on ourselves and it's just not healthy. :flowerforyou: Try setting a specific day of the week and weigh in first thing in the morning. That way your weight is as 'true' as it can be without the random fluctuations of the day to interfere.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you normally weigh yourself after lunch? If not, then all of the water and food you ate for lunch will not be accurate. You should weight yourself at the same time, however many times you do it in a week or month.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Well, by normal is that i had a piece of cake after lunch on saturday, and on sunday morning had some oreos, and a sandwich at night. (just stuff i would not eat) And did not weigh myself sunday or monday, just right now after lunch...could this be it? can you really weigh that much more after lunch?
    thankss

You can go up and down 5 pounds either way from day to day or from hour to hour and it's nothing more than water weight or waste in your system. Scary, I know. Weigh yourself in the morning, after voiding your bladder, naked, before eating or drinking anything. Weigh yourself the same day every week, or the same day every 2 weeks. That will give you a much better idea of the weight you're losing. Weighing yourself thru-out the day is useless for tracking weight. Same for weighing yourself every day... with that fluctuation of 5 pounds either way, you could get really discouraged.
  • nikki4ever
    Options
    Thanks guys it really helped me...i normally weigh myself in the mornings, but since i did not weigh myself Sunday or Monday, it was driving me crazy wondering. so i did it today, right after lunch..not the best thing...:) thanks for the support
  • keshia_v03
    Options
    Word to the wise, never weigh yourself after you've eaten. The scale will disappoint you every time. Don't get discourage though. I bet if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything the scale will definitely say something differently. BTW, if you like cookies and cakes, try the 100 calorie packs of oreos, chip ahoy or the 100 calorie hostess cakes. . I personally think they are great.
  • Shanimal84
    Options
    My advice is to weigh yourself in the morning, only once a week. If you weigh yourself everyday, you're going to see fluxuations that might throw off your motivation to continue.

And "eating like a normal person" is the whine of a person who views their healthier lifestyle as a diet. Buck up and get over it! You're not dieting - you're changing your eating habits for life. If you're one of those people who eats healthy until your reach your goal weight, only to start eating like crap and not exercising afterwards, then you're in serious trouble. That's not to say that you're slacking just because you ate some cake and a sandwich, but make note of the things you indulge in and get your butt to the gym to work off some of those extra calories. :grumble:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You will be fine, I flucuate 5 pounds often, weigh tomorrow and you will see that you are likely down....it will all workout. But don't do a repeat of the weekend. Normal eating - your definition, which differs from us all is what got you over weight. This needs to be a life change, a change in your "Normal" eating. Its ok to indulge sometimes, but not all the time. Like this weekend......My honey had wings and I had sushi.....we traded he had a piece of mine and I had 1 wing and a beer. That was a treat....eating 6 wings and 2 beers to myself, that would have been over board. I enjoyed my 5 cali rolls for 260 cals and my 1 beer for 160 and 1 yummy lemon pepper wing for 50....

Good luck and hang tight.

:flowerforyou:
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    I heard or read? that a 5lb flucuation is normal. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know 5lbs, is5lbs, but as long as it doesn't keep goin' up, it'll be okay! :smile:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You HAVE to weigh yourself at the same time of day. Don't weigh yourself in the afternoon, especially - it will fluctuate throughout the day. Weigh yourself first thing in the morning - before you eat but after you poop.

Oh yea - cake and Oreos = bad. Don't do that every day, K?