Finally learned how to stop the "phatom fat" GO SHOPPING!

Options
I have been having a hard time adjusting to the new me. It's like I dont think I deserve to be skinnier or something so I have been walking around in my larger clothes since I lost the weight. Finally someone said something about how sloppy my clothes looked, and I thought...me??? sloppy? I've always dressed nice..and then I realized, it's my pants, they are falling off me, I better get it together. So i went out shopping and bought new work clothes. I would STILL bring the size larges and size 14's into the changeroom....but nothing fit, they were gigantic. I came out with tons of new clothes, but more importantly, a new perspective. I'm a size 11....I have to accept it :). I realize this is also why I have never posted a before and after photo, because it all goes back to me not thinking I have really done anything...so....today..I am posting a before and after...I don't know if it's really an after...not sure where I want to go at this point, but for now, this is my after!!! :) Hmmmm just realized I have no idea how to post a photo! bahahahaha...off to read the help..BRB! hahaha..

Replies

• chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    I have been having a hard time adjusting to the new me. It's like I dont think I deserve to be skinnier or something so I have been walking around in my larger clothes since I lost the weight. Finally someone said something about how sloppy my clothes looked, and I thought...me??? sloppy? I've always dressed nice..and then I realized, it's my pants, they are falling off me, I better get it together. So i went out shopping and bought new work clothes. I would STILL bring the size larges and size 14's into the changeroom....but nothing fit, they were gigantic. I came out with tons of new clothes, but more importantly, a new perspective. I'm a size 11....I have to accept it :). I realize this is also why I have never posted a before and after photo, because it all goes back to me not thinking I have really done anything...so....today..I am posting a before and after...I don't know if it's really an after...not sure where I want to go at this point, but for now, this is my after!!! :) Hmmmm just realized I have no idea how to post a photo! bahahahaha...off to read the help..BRB! hahaha..
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    LOL
    CONGRATS!!!!

If you need photo help, lemme know and I'll see what I can do. Quickly put, use [ ] square brackets instead of ( ) round ones in the example below.

(img)http:\\pictureaddress.com(/img)

Again, use [ ] instead of ( ).
    Make sure the img is lower case. IMG will not work.
    Hope that helps!!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Yep, it will take awhile to get used to the "new" you and adjust your body image to reality. What I did when I had facial reconstructive surgery is to get some glamour shots pics taken, then posted them up around the apartment so I constantly had to look at my "new" face and get used to it. Now I can't really say what I looked like before...

It was MAJOR changes, although the surgery was minor, because they took some bone out of my upper jaw, which totally changed the way the skin looked on top, plus it gave me a chin... my own sister didn't recognize me AT ALL.

I imagine I'll have to do something simliar when I get to my goal weight, so I can stop thinking like a fat person and stop hiding behind baggy clothes.... and be out there and confident!!

I get new workout clothes in the new size every time I drop a size, that is helping keep me on track as well as being pretty excited about fitting into a new size... definitely, get some cute new clothes!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this, too. And even 6 years later, I still consider myself a Big Mama. Some part inside me will always remember what it was like to be heavy.

All that said, I AM enjoying buying smaller clothes and wearing them now! And look out, poolside - I've got a tankini waiting in the wardrobe!

You deserve it, girlfriend. You DID the work!
  • Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    Im glad its not just me!! I haven't been under 200lbs in quite a few years.........I dropped to 195lbs and felt naked. Seriously, naked and exposed, even sick! My 'ideal' weight for my height is between 160 and 170lbs (or somewhere around there) and just the thought of being that thin again is odd. I can't even imagine. Weird how we get so "attached" hey? Kinda like women with long hair, getting it chopped off, lol. :smile:
  • datank4
    datank4 Posts: 14
    Options
    congrats on the weight loss. Im sure its really different feeling between men and women so I will not even pretend I know how u feel. :smile:
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    I know the feeling! I went from a sz 16-18 women to now a sz 10-12! After loosing 36 pds (currently I have lost a total of 51 pds with 9 more to go) I was force to GO SHOPPING and purchase clothes that didn't drop to my knees and tops that didn't look like I had just given birth! Since then I have had to have the initial clothes I purchased altered....and like you I am still taking a larger size from what I wear into the dressing room! The adjustment is going to take some time to get use to especially since I'm still in the process of trying to lose the last 9 pds.

Enjoy your Good Looks! Good Health! and a New start of maintaining your weight loss! The real challenge is keeping it off! :flowerforyou:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    way to go, that is so great, keep up the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • chulie
    Options
    Hmmmm...couldn't edit.....ANYWAYS..so....as per my first email..here are my before and after pics....This was before I even joined MFP so even though I've lost 22 lbs on here, I was even heavier on the before..this was at my heaviest which was about 185 and then the after is me at 152! I was at 185 and lost about 10 lbs and slowly started to notice gaining it again and thats when i decided to make the big change and do something once and for all and then joined here!

Before
    (IMG)http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo328/chulie_213/randoms/me-1-1.jpg(/IMG)

after
    (IMG)http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo328/chulie_213/randoms/me2-1.jpg(/IMG)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Let me try:

((Nope, 6 edits, can't get it, I quit, sorry)

Great job BTW, you look amazing.

I'm not buying clothes because I'm halfway to my goal, though the stuff I have now is fitting like garbage bags. My wife, (who is pretty stingy with the praise BTW), even remarked that I should get some jeans 'cause I look like a bum.

Well I've got 34 more pounds to go, which is another couple sizes. If I buy now, they'll probably be baggy in 3 months. What to do, what to do...
  • chulie
    Options
    I changed the links because I thought maybe I used a bad format to save.....you can see them?? grrrrr i used to have to use photobucket for something else and thought i knew how to use it!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Before
    me-1-1.jpg

after
    me2-1.jpg
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I thought of this thread last night when I was watching The Biggest Loser. It was makeover night, and several of them had problems realizing they could wear such smaller sizes. They showed a pretty emotional conversation between Helen and the guy doing the clothes makeover and he was telling her how she had to see herself in a whole new way.
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    chulie, u r beautiful!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

i need to watch this big loser show everyone talks about.:tongue:

i've lost 97 lbs from my biggest lbs and i still see myself as too big. :sick: :sick:
    i wear good fitting clothes, most of the time. :smile: but my size 10 jeans feel thight. like my size 18 did once. :grumble: :grumble:
    well, 10s should be perfect in about a week. :happy:
    i can picture myself complaing about feeling fat in size 8!:noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

not sure if i'll ever feel i've reached my goal.:explode: :explode:
  • chulie
    Options
    thanks everyone!! Its funny because the after photo was taken last weekend..and the shirt was way to big (you can see it sagging in the back) so I know i still have moments of....oh damn...that doesnt fit anymore..hahaha....but i really owe all this to everyone here....I have never been so successful at keeping the weight off. I have never felt so confident and happy with who I am. I only succeeded because of how real this site is and because I realized that my life was full of excuses and once I got rid of the gazillion excuses..all that was left was a motivated me!
  • chulie
    Options
    Beautiful!!!! :flowerforyou:
    thanks for fixing my pictures for me!!hehehehe....What was I doing wrong???
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    GORGEOUS gorgeous GORGEOUS! You are amazing and such an inspiration!!! I often feel the same way... I don't really look so different. Before and afters are such a reality check! And one day, for me, too, so will going shopping be! :smile:

I'm really proud of you!

ETA:
    And one day, for me, too, so will going shopping be! :smile:

I realize that this sentence is an English teacher's nightmare, but I can't think of how to word it properly. :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Congrats! :drinker:
  • chelseachick
    Options
    You look absolutely amazing. Dont sell yoursle short - you did a lot of hard work to get there. Congratulations :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!