Nutrition experts wanted!

Options
(Or those of you who are well versed in losing weight and macronutrients.)

Okay, I am so beyond confused and all I want to do is bang my head against the wall. I am 5'4 and weigh 163. I have close to 30 lbs to lose.

I have been on this journey for close to 4 months now (about 3 months using mfp) and I have yet to lose a single freaking pound. I am exercising and exerting myself from 30 minutes to an hour 4-5 times a week. I eat at a deficit and log every morsel that passes my lips. I finally said eff it and decided to look up maintenance calories so that I can take a break safely without gaining anymore.

I keep getting different maintenance calories though. Some websites say closer to 2300 but MFP says 1950 and protein just boggles me. MFP says to eat like 60-75 grams a day but other sites say to eat closer to 1 gram per body weight.(is that right?)

I am doing what the site tells me to do every day but the results aren't happening....I don't plan on giving up but I want the results that everyone else is experiencing. I try to follow the 80/20 rule but I do occasionally slip and consume too much nutella or almond roca for instance but not enough to never lose anything!

Would you mind taking the time to help me out and understand what's going on? I'm not sensitive so I appreciate criticism and honesty. My diary is open.

( On a side note went to the dr's and did lab work and everything came normal and I am in great health but I'm overweight by almost 30 lbs.)

Thanks so much if you got this far!

Replies

• Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out his chart? I am also confused. I lose weight but not as much fat as I'd like. But I try...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/491087-my-gift-excel-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-cut-build-and-ma
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You have to remember all calculators are just estimates. You're going to have to take the time to determine your maintenance. Yes, that means you may gain some "weight" while you find it. However, once you find you will be on your weigh to reaching your goals safely and enjoying life.

This will help.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    To the OP, watch you aren't overestimating your calories burned during exercise and underestimating the calories you are consuming in food and drink.

That is one of the major bugbears when people are trying to lose weight and often results in either no weightloss or even weight gain.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    (Or those of you who are well versed in losing weight and macronutrients.)

Okay, I am so beyond confused and all I want to do is bang my head against the wall. I am 5'4 and weigh 163. I have close to 30 lbs to lose.

I have been on this journey for close to 4 months now (about 3 months using mfp) and I have yet to lose a single freaking pound. I am exercising and exerting myself from 30 minutes to an hour 4-5 times a week. I eat at a deficit and log every morsel that passes my lips. I finally said eff it and decided to look up maintenance calories so that I can take a break safely without gaining anymore.

I keep getting different maintenance calories though. Some websites say closer to 2300 but MFP says 1950 and protein just boggles me. MFP says to eat like 60-75 grams a day but other sites say to eat closer to 1 gram per body weight.(is that right?)

I am doing what the site tells me to do every day but the results aren't happening....I don't plan on giving up but I want the results that everyone else is experiencing. I try to follow the 80/20 rule but I do occasionally slip and consume too much nutella or almond roca for instance but not enough to never lose anything!

Would you mind taking the time to help me out and understand what's going on? I'm not sensitive so I appreciate criticism and honesty. My diary is open.

( On a side note went to the dr's and did lab work and everything came normal and I am in great health but I'm overweight by almost 30 lbs.)

Thanks so much if you got this far!
    Based on your stats your BMR is around 1528. Add 250 calories per day (regular activity like work, etc.) then it's up to 1778. Now add in exercise (say 400 calories) and you're up to 2128. Subtract 500 calories for a pound loss a week and you're at 1628 calories per day to be in deficit for a pound loss a week.
    Mind you this is just a guess since I have no idea what you do for exercise and daily activity. But if no losses are coming along, really only a few things could be happening.

1. Your exercise isn't as intense as you think it is.
    2. Your consuming more food than you need to.
    3. You may have a sensitivity to carbs.

When I nix any (or two or all three) of those issues with clients, then things start moving for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post my friends! i just started a 5k running program and on those off days I usually do a workout video with weights.I usually try to eat back only half of my exercise calories back since i know mfp usually overestimates on some of the workouts.

Thanks so much ninerbuff for the informative reply! ;) That helps me out a bunch.

I love mfp just for this reason alone!

~Laura