Should I be eating my exercise calories?

Options
I just started using this site. I am confused if I should eat ALL of my calories for the day, AND my exercise calories? What if I am not hungry, and have had all 3 meals for the day and still have a large amount left. What to do?

I exercise 5-6 times a week taking various gym classes.

Replies

• lunalulu2
    lunalulu2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean but you may trying using the search function on the forums as this topic is discussed constantly. Everyone has a different opinion but I have always eaten the majority of mine and lost 82 lbs.
  • lucky312
    lucky312 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    What types of food do you eat to make up for it?
    Does it matter if it is later, towards the night?
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    Most people agree that it does not matter what time of day you eat. I eat whenever I want. I try to use the majority of my calories for nutrient dense healthy foods but I do allow myself a treat everyday. It keeps me motivated and keeps me from cracking and pigging out on junk food.
  • lucky312
    Options
    Most people agree that it does not matter what time of day you eat. I eat whenever I want. I try to use the majority of my calories for nutrient dense healthy foods but I do allow myself a treat everyday. It keeps me motivated and keeps me from cracking and pigging out on junk food.

okay.. so for instance.. i just did 2 classes at my gym and I have a net of 1053, and 667 remaining. What do you think I should do?

My goal is 1720, and I ate 1624,have this larger remainder above because of the exercise
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should. That's how the site is designed to work. You have the same calorie deficit whether you exercise or not.

As far as what to eat? The same foods you eat the rest of the day. Just slightly larger servings As you get more used to exercise, you'll know about how many calories you'll be burning per activity, and be able to plan your day accordingly. It's harder to eat them all if you don't take that into consideration all day long, but if you know you're going to burn, say, 400 calories, add an extra 100 calories to each meal and have a small extra snack, rather than trying to make up an extra 400 cal at the end of the night.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel.

If you burn more fuel than what you put into your car, it won't run.

Fuel your body so it can go further.
  • lucky312
    Options
    Yes, you should. That's how the site is designed to work. You have the same calorie deficit whether you exercise or not.

As far as what to eat? The same foods you eat the rest of the day. Just slightly larger servings As you get more used to exercise, you'll know about how many calories you'll be burning per activity, and be able to plan your day accordingly. It's harder to eat them all if you don't take that into consideration all day long, but if you know you're going to burn, say, 400 calories, add an extra 100 calories to each meal and have a small extra snack, rather than trying to make up an extra 400 cal at the end of the night.

Thanks, I guess i should probably eat something now since I have a HUGE remainder
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I agree...search the other threads on this for a wealth of information...

However...my doctor told me NOT to eat my excercise calories as long as I wasn't hungry...which I rarely am...until I have lost 50 of the 83 I intend to lose.

Down 44...I am actually less hungry than before...so I am curious to see what he says next time I go in.
  • dribsndrabs
    dribsndrabs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend eating protein after working out; I usually like a little (generally natural) sugar too. I'll often have something like an apple with peanut butter or trail mix. You really should eat within an hour of finishing your workout. (This is athlete talking.) I also prefer to have a small snack before working out (like a granola bar). The rest of my "bonus" calories I eat throughout the course of the day. Depending on the type of classes you're taking, you might also find that you have a higher potassium need and would want to address that.
  • barbara2873
    Options
    So true
  • lucky312
    Options
    I am now having some Kashi cereal with skim milk to avoid the large gap.

I take spinning, cardio classes, weight training, and yoga/centergy/pilates.
  • barbara2873
    Options
    Eating most of your carbs in the morning and then burning them off in the day is awesome, and keeps me awake! I tend to get that 2:30 feeling in the day and since starting this, I have MORE ENERGY and have dropped an amazing 42 lbs so far and it has taken me about 6 months. I eat whatever I want as long as it doesn't kill my calories. I try not to eat past 8 pm either. This app has taught me how to eat and what to stay away from. I found that you can easily drink all of your calories up, thats why those crystal light packets are good for something sweet to add to your water, if you don't want plain water that is. I burn through my exercise as well and am still losing, and you will plateau often, dont stress, it is still working, dont give up!! We will all be there for you, since we are all in this together!! Good luck!
  • abeachlady
    Options
    Arrrrrrrrgggggggjjjjjjjj
  • daisydieter
    Options
    I agree...search the other threads on this for a wealth of information...

However...my doctor told me NOT to eat my excercise calories as long as I wasn't hungry...which I rarely am...until I have lost 50 of the 83 I intend to lose.

Down 44...I am actually less hungry than before...so I am curious to see what he says next time I go in.

My doctor pretty much said the same thing. As long as I'm eating 1200 nutritionally dense (which I do) calories... if I'm not hungry.... I can have a greater calorie deficit because my weight is so high. Once I'm closer to being a normal weight range, to have that high of a calorie deficit really isn't achievable while still eating 1200 calories... unless I want to work out 5 hours a day. :)
  • lucky312
    Options
    thank you all.

The thing is, I have lost about 30 pounds and have kept most of it off. I am 5'8 and about 155. I am not heavy, and work out and have muscular legs and arms, but I just want to love some bell fat, so I figured this app would help.

I want to lose about 8-10 pounds
  • Sbechiom
    Sbechiom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    During my diet journey, how I deal with the exercise calories depends on the day. As a general practice, though, I almost never eat my allotted calories after exercise. The way I've been doing it is shooting for 1200-1500 calories a day intake. Then exercise is extra.

I am basing this number on the fact that I have read that to eat less than 1200 will put your body into starvation mode. Some days, especially if I've burned over 1,000 calories at the gym, I eat closer to 1800 calories. There has not been a single day since I started that I've gone over 1900 calories in a day. I feel pretty good about that.

I make sure to switch it up so I'm not eating exactly the same thing every day. There have been several birthday cupcakes and Valentine's chocolate-covered strawberries in that time, but my pants keep getting looser.

I don't know what I weigh, because I'm not going to step on the scale until the Gold's weight loss challenge is over in 7 weeks, but my legs are looking more toned and my back fat is almost gone. I can only assume that means 20-25 pounds in the last 5 weeks. Yes, I know the weight loss is going to slow down eventually. I'm just going to have to power through.

As another poster commented, I sometimes don't feel hungry in the evenings, but I will force myself to eat something small anyway. I try not to eat after 8:00, but if I still have calories left and I want that sugar free chocolate mousse, I'll have it.

I do not want to "bonk" when I go to the gym - as someone mentioned, I agree that your body does need fuel to go-go-go. So, I make sure to eat small things regularly: chicken, lettuce, cheese, fruit smoothie from my blender (not commercial), eggs, etc. Almost exclusively high-nutrient items, but some salty and sweet stuff thrown in there to keep it interesting.

I make sure to have a serving of whey protein after every workout. I know that this represents a precious 140 calories, but it's got protein and other nutrients. I have been following this regimen for five weeks and have not once felt close to running out of steam or being dehydrated. So far, so good. Good luck to you!
  • lunalulu2
    Options
    thank you all.

The thing is, I have lost about 30 pounds and have kept most of it off. I am 5'8 and about 155. I am not heavy, and work out and have muscular legs and arms, but I just want to love some bell fat, so I figured this app would help.

If you are that close to your goal you should definitely eat back the majority of your exercise calories as you do not want to have too large of a deficit or you will risk losing more muscle than fat. It sounds like your focus should be on losing body fat and building muscle not necessarily on the pounds on the scale. You should include strength training with heavy weights if you are not already.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

[/quote]

My doctor pretty much said the same thing. As long as I'm eating 1200 nutritionally dense (which I do) calories... if I'm not hungry.... I can have a greater calorie deficit because my weight is so high. Once I'm closer to being a normal weight range, to have that high of a calorie deficit really isn't achievable while still eating 1200 calories... unless I want to work out 5 hours a day. :)
    [/quote]
  • lucky312
    Options
    thank you all.

If you are that close to your goal you should definitely eat back the majority of your exercise calories as you do not want to have too large of a deficit or you will risk losing more muscle than fat. It sounds like your focus should be on losing body fat and building muscle not necessarily on the pounds on the scale. You should include strength training with heavy weights if you are not already.

what do you think i should do to lost body fat? what are you recommendation for foods? ALso, i do strength train with heavy weights