Who's trying to quit smoking?!

Options
I have smoked for 8 years... Recently, I have cut way back but haven't fully quit yet and I'd love to. It's expensive and bad for my body, etc. Any suggestions?

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 years ago after smoking for nearly twenty, you have to want to first. I found that the patch worked wonders, but for others it does not. It's a lot like dieting what works for one may not work for the other. But foremost you have to want to bad enough.
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I quit 5 years ago after smoking for nearly twenty, you have to want to first. I found that the patch worked wonders, but for others it does not. It's a lot like dieting what works for one may not work for the other. But foremost you have to want to bad enough.

I agree, I definitely have to want it. I don't think I want it enough yet. If I did, I would've quit already.
  • dalygirl_2010
    Options
    I am going on Chantix on the 21st of this month. I am praying it helps. I like to exercise and run and it would be so much easier if I could breathe...
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Most research (and personal experience) shows that cutting back actually makes it harder--makes you crave harder and more often, puts you on the edge of withdrawal all the time. When I quit, it was cold turkey, and you know what? My FEAR of quitting was far worse than the reality of it. There are tips and tricks and ways of making it work. If/when you're interested, let me know. I'd be happy to help. 6+ years no smokes for me, and I don't miss them even a little.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i quit years ago too..i didnt smoke long though..a few years.

it wasnt that hard to quit..of course nothing is that hard if you want it badly enough..i did it gradually..i set a date, about a month out and i just reduced and reduced until i hit my date and never smoked another after that.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting! I will be cig free for 20 weeks this Sunday. I am breaking a 30 year habit. Like some of what others have said, the fear of the quitting is worse than the reality of it. I was amazed by how much better things smelled and that my taste started coming back. Best wishes on your journey! =^_^=
  • I smoked for better then 25 yrs, and then one day I ran out and I stopped cold turkey .. it's been just over 30 days and still doing good.. Now I do have an electronic cigarette but I really don't use it much at all.. It really hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be... :glasses:

congrats to everyone else !!!! :happy:
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Thanks all for your comments and support, I appreciate it! :happy:
  • shotallican
    Options
    I smoked for a few years, but one thing that helps with the oral fixation aspect is toothpicks. I automatically smoked whenever I was driving, but just chewing on one instead helped with that missing feeling.
  • dowzey
    dowzey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I quit two weeks ago :)
  • snlperdue93
    snlperdue93 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the step 2 patch and it really seems to help. However, I still have issues in the evenings. It seems the patch does not give me enough to help with night time cravings, so I still smoke 1 cig every evening. 1/2 at about 7 and the other 1/2 at about 9. My goal is to be cig free and on the step 3 (smallest patch) by Tues/Wed of next week. It's hard, but every time I run on the treadmill I remember why I want to quit :)

Good Luck!
  • louisau
    louisau Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 25 years and quit cold turkey on 1 March 2011.

It's a mind game. If I look at the title of your post I think that your mindset is not right.

Just quit don't try to quit.

For me it was easier to qut smoking than to quit potato chips/crisps and other salty snacks.

Hang in there, keep busy, avoid triggers for at least a week.

Best of luck.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I'm seven months smoke free!

You can do it! Replace the ritual; I found that I loved my smoke breaks while at work more than I actually loved smoking, so for the first couple of months I would still take five minutes to go outside and clear my head... just without the cigarette in hand.

If you have friends who smoke, bum cigarettes from them as you're tapering your usage... if you don't have a whole pack easily accessible, you won't feel obligated to smoke it.

Also, don't be upset if you gain weight. I gained 20lbs in two months. It sucked, but I'm healthier for it.. weight can easily go, lung cancer can't.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Smoked for nearly 20 years. I quit cold turkey in Aug 2009. It was hard as hell the first month but after that the urge/desire to smoke slowly went away. I always had gum in my purse which seemed to help out & whenever I wanted a cigarette I would look at a little piece of paper in my wallet with reasons why I wanted to quit written on it.
    Quitting smoking is one of the best things I have done & I am sooooooo glad to be free of that addiction ! It is a very hard habit to break but you CAN do it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 25 years. I tried almost everything to quit, never helped, UNTIL I got the electronic cigarette. That thing really works! Took a few days to get used to it because all it has is nicotine (the tobacco companies add many other addictive chemicals to cigarettes) but after that I could never imagine going back to smoking those nasty smelling things. They totally rock.

I also want to state that I used bee pollen to curb my crazy appetite after I stopped. It was insane, I could not stop eating. The bee pollen worked! I took 2 on an empty stomach about 5 minutes before breakfast and the same right before lunch. One good side effect was it also helped with allergy symptoms.
  • mbishop71
    mbishop71 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 16 months ago after smoking for 24 years and was up to almost 2 packs a day when I quit.

It doesn't matter if you smoke for many years or just a couple, or if you smoke a lot or just a few cigarettes - the addiction to nicotine isn't broken and you can't start to get over it until you don't smoke or replace it at all. All the reasons we DON'T quit are just excuses - but excuses work until you're ready to recognize them as such.

I did start out using Chantix but after a couple of weeks I got really sick from it so stopped taking it but did NOT start smoking again. It did help with the cravings, though, and once I got over those first few days I was OK on my own (relatively...I was pretty moody that first month. My poor kids!).

Something that really helped me finally be ready was reading a lot of the motivation and education articles at whyquit.com. Maybe that will help you too!
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to quit smoking I am down to less than half a pack a day from a full pack a day. I have tried all the stupid little quit smoking gimmics and in the end I am still smoking.So this time I am trying a gradual decrease. Hope it works.
  • jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I need to quit so anyone that wants to add me so we can support each other please add
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Good job koogra, hope to catch up to you, I am at 47 days... feel better every day.
    If you want to quit, You have to want it, and not accept you smoke any more... I am using the patch, I believe it has helped me... will let you know when I am cold turkey from that- about another month.
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I smoked for better then 25 yrs, and then one day I ran out and I stopped cold turkey .. it's been just over 30 days and still doing good.. Now I do have an electronic cigarette but I really don't use it much at all.. It really hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be... :glasses:

congrats to everyone else !!!! :happy: