The hanging belly!

Options
Ok, so... I know there has been discussion here before about the excess skin after weight loss and the concern if it will go away...

I have recently realized that one of my self sabotaging thoughts was that since my belly hangs down (and even folds over! :embarassed: ) I will still have that folded hanging skin once I lose the weight!

No wonder I keep getting to a certain weight loss and then stopping! I'm so afraid that once I lose all my weight I'll still look crappy! and why put myself through all this if I'm not going to look good! (ok, yes, I know.. the health thing, no more back problems, I know, but I still would love to look great in a bathing suit and maybe even a bikini!)

Then today I realized, I have people I can ask about this. No more wondering and dreading the outcome! So, I'm wondering if anyone themselves (or anyone they know) has had the same body type and how it turned out for them... did the skin stay all saggy and folded over? :frown:

Replies

• jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Ok, so... I know there has been discussion here before about the excess skin after weight loss and the concern if it will go away...

I have recently realized that one of my self sabotaging thoughts was that since my belly hangs down (and even folds over! :embarassed: ) I will still have that folded hanging skin once I lose the weight!

No wonder I keep getting to a certain weight loss and then stopping! I'm so afraid that once I lose all my weight I'll still look crappy! and why put myself through all this if I'm not going to look good! (ok, yes, I know.. the health thing, no more back problems, I know, but I still would love to look great in a bathing suit and maybe even a bikini!)

Then today I realized, I have people I can ask about this. No more wondering and dreading the outcome! So, I'm wondering if anyone themselves (or anyone they know) has had the same body type and how it turned out for them... did the skin stay all saggy and folded over? :frown:
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hi jessneill
    I have been overweight my entire life and I recently lost over 50 pounds. I also had the belly fat instead of the fat in the hip and thigh area that most women have. I was concerned about this issue because I am in my late 40's and was not sure that my skin had the elasticity, but because I last my weight slow (about a pound a week), the skin on my belly is not so bad. It's a little loose, but it's something that I can live with.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I asked this question earlier and some people replied. It seems that those who had a lot of weight loss did have some excess skin but not enough to stop them from losing the weight. i believe a couple of women said their biggest problem area was under the arms. So far i have lost 47 pounds and don't notice any hanging skin. I was Especially worried about the area around my belly which was and still is huge. But so far no excess skin. I do hit the gym 5-6 nights a week.
  • stratton
    Options
    Well, since you have asked, here is what has happened to me....After years of late night eating and not taking care of myself I found myself at 310 plus pounds....:embarassed: When I got to the point where I wanted to do something, I was so steadfast with it that within 2 years I lost a lot of weight....I am 190 today....I have a lot of hanging skin on my belly, but it is so worth it...I can change the hanging skin when I loose the last 40 pounds I need to. It is not as bad as having a huge body that looks and feels so bad...a little skin is not so bad....tight pants, under garments ex...help a lot....:flowerforyou:
  • NJBeachgirl
    Options
    I had the same question when I first started here, about a month ago. Some people responded with much encouragement, and said not to worry, alot encouraged excercise to tone things up, and some felt it was silly to worry about that, worry about your health. But I hear you, I have the same worries, I rather be a little chunky and firm then skinny with loose skin hanging. How do you look sexy when your thin, and have loose skin flapping around your waist. The thought of it scares me to death, but I felt better after hearing a lot of positive feedback from the posts. So I don't know the answer myself, as I didn't get there yet, I guess we just have to cross that bridge when we get there, and hope for the best. Good luck and keep loosing! We will worry about the next problem, if there is one, when we get there.
  • madiposa
    Options
    :embarassed: OK i had a c-section with both of my kids and yes i have that skin i guess theres not really anything u can do jst keep excersing the bottom of your belly its sooooo hard to get your belly back in shape!!! The only thing i know is operation but otherwise good luck and let me know if there is a magical trick!!!:blushing: