Do you think people are lacking 'class'?

Options
shanahan_09
shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
I've noticed a lot more lately--say within the past few years that people are more hostile, angrier, and feel incredibly entitled. Not saying everyone, for when I see great stories such as the plane landing on the Hudson a few years back, it gives me hope that people still have humanity.
Now-a-days you look at someone next to you in the other lane while driving and you get the bird. Even to watch a hockey game (my son plays hockey) one can hear others in the stands throwing the F-bomb around. and yes, there are children present..
When I was growing up I can remember being in the lobby at the rink during the hockey period and there were some young men saying F this, F that while chatting in our midst. My Dad went up to them and said 'Do not talk like that in the presence of women"....I'll never forget that moment. He grew up in an era where a man's handshake was as good as signing your name on the dotted line, where people had character and integrity, where people took care of their own business and didn't get into someone else's uninvited.

So in a nutshell, do you think class is diminshing in our time, and do you think technology plays a big part in it?

Replies

• LewisFishman
    Options
    I believe we have lost not only class, but civility. And it's a shame, because it doesn't have to be that way. Regardless of technology or velocity of life, we need to treat each other better. Even a simple "please" and "thank you". Not in a sniveling, permission-seeking way, but as acknowledgement of humanity (from one important person to another). Best summed up in the Sanskrit word "Namaste", which has no real equivalent in the West. But it's a great word with a great intention--

"That which is Highest and Finest in me greets that which is Highest and finest in you".

What a world this would be if we would all embrace this concept--Namaste.
    --LEWIS
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I think people were always this way, but they hid it behind doors and the topics were different. My grandma has talked about "negros" before to me. I would never call someone a negro. Our topics that we're talking about a different, and now it's socially acceptable to discuss those topics out of the home more, and that's why you hear it.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    some people on these message boards lack class
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    In a word, yes.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i notice it in certain places.

especially the entitlement attitude. i live in a very poor very rural area..and the people here just dont care. they honesty purposely will try to swerve to hit an animal on the road. they dont use turn signals. they dont say excuse me when they need past you, they just push.

but just a few mins down the road there is a town full of the bohemian hippy types.. worldly and they are kind and actually thoughtful and polite.
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think poor education, political correctness and too much tv.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    This.
    Yes and no. I think people were always this way, but they hid it behind doors and the topics were different. My grandma has talked about "negros" before to me. I would never call someone a negro. Our topics that we're talking about a different, and now it's socially acceptable to discuss those topics out of the home more, and that's why you hear it.
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    One word...Ego.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. In so many cases I see bad language, rude behaviour and downright nastiness. But then, I get a pleasant surprise when I see someone who I might judge (I know I shouldn't, but I do) talking politely, helping someone out etc.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees. They know that a day may come where they have to fight for family and or country. And If it does, they won't do it with pants sagging half way down their behinds. A's and b's are expected. As one day hard work will be. Strict? Old fashioned? Yes.
  • elcyclista
    Options
    Probably not class, but lacking respect. Especially today's kids who don't respect anyone, including theirselves, and are very self-centered.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    The other day in traffic I got shown the bird by two different people and they were doing the wrong thing...
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It's because these days children are all taught in school that they're entitled to get what they want. They're not allowed to fail, they're not allowed to excel, they aren't taught manners, and they aren't punished when they're obnoxious or disrespectful to others.

I think teachers have less control these days...
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yes. I do. But we will raise our boys to be men. Yes mam and No Sir. Thank you and can I help you with that. They know to give up there seat for an adult. Woman are not called names but cherished and respected. There Dad has the last say and money doesn't grow on trees. They know that a day may come where they have to fight for family and or country. And If it does, they won't do it with pants sagging half way down their behinds. A's and b's are expected. As one day hard work will be. Strict? Old fashioned? Yes.
    amen to this! this is what we do with our boys also! I am constantly being told how polite and well mannered our children are. also I am constantly in shock when another persons child talks back and calls their parents cuss words to their face, and they are allowed to get away with it! then the parent blames the school. well my children went to the same exact school as theirs did and mine are getting good grades and dont do drugs and are respectful, like to have boundaries placed on them, and enjoy spending time with their parents. go figure!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, however, I myself am not a shining example of "class". I do know how and when to be tactful though, and when to just keep my mouth shut :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Probably not class, but lacking respect. Especially today's kids who don't respect anyone, including theirselves, and are very self-centered.

YES. I think this is the bigger problem.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I am a "baby boomer." Think of this: nearly 450,000 people attended the Woodstock Festival in 1968. Traffic was backed up for days to get to the festival. There werent enough port-o-johns and lines to them were long. There were water and food shortages. Yet, No one was killed, there were no injuries as the result of fighting among attendees. There were no weapons found among attendees. This would not happen today. I am not saying this was a "better" generation or a more civil one-- but I don't think that a gathering of these many people could happen now without brawling, hard drugs, and murder.

It seems as if as a society "we" do not have a collective sense of what "civil" behavior is; and it cuts across all socio-economic classes, ages, gender, and races. Where ever there are public "gatherings" (including "electronic" gatherings) there is a lack of mutual respect, or sense of "common good."
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think that a lack of civility is a generational thing. I work in food service, and most people are quite nice when I smile and greet them. However, I am far more likely to have my greetings ignored by an older person. Are they really in such a hurry that "Hi, how are you?" needs to be followed immediately by "Gimme a cheesebrger"? Maybe some people have tired of the social veneer they have put on, and feel that please and thank you is no longer needed in daily interactions?
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    This may not be popular but I believe much can be attributed to the "special snowflake" attitude that has become the norm in child upbringing over the last 20-25 years.
    The idea of participation trophies and not keeping score in games so that everyone is a winner.
    I get trying to establish self esteem but I think that has to come from self respect not an artificial atmosphere that is not the reality of life where there are winners and losers,successes and failures.

The whole thing has led IMO to people that can`t understand or cope with the fact that sometimes things go wrong or not as we wish them to.
    Now the expectation is that whatever has happened must be made right by someone instantly because that is what is owed.
    When that doesn`t happen the reaction is anger,impatience and a need to lash out.