HRM watch Vs chest strap question

Options
This may be a very dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. I recently purchased a Sportline Duo HRM. It has the watch with an optional chest strap.

I have only been using the watch part. My question is will the heart rate and calorie burn be as accurate as if I had worn the chest strap? I don't quite understand how the watch works, since it sits on top of your wrist how does it actually monitor your heart rate?

It has a heart rate 'touch' option so that when I am working out I can touch it anywhere on the outside rim of the watch and get a HR reading. When I have finished working out it will tell me how many minutes I was above, below, or in the 'fat burning' zone and how many calories I have burned. Is it actually monitoring every minute, or is it just going by what my HR is when I do a 'touch' reading?

Sorry if this question seems to be beyond stupid :embarassed: but I would really like to understand how it works; but more importantly, if I should be using the chest strap.

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Use the chest strap.

It will be way more accurate.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Chest strap all the way! Definitely more accurate.
  • Rahul_ahuja
    Options
    Hi carol

Well according to my knowledge you need to wear the chest strap in order to get the heart rate transfered to your watch and then the watch will calculate how many calories you have burned i own polar ft7 and according to ft7 if i dont wear the chest strap it wont show my heart rate and it wilk operate just like a normal watch once the heart is there on watch you need to start your trianing session and after your session is completed you need to press the stop button then it will show you the summary so that means if your watch came with a chest strap u need to wear it in order to get the heart rate and amount of calories burned however i belive their are some watches which do not require chest strap again you got one so you gotta wear it :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    basically what spammy said. I use one and I love it. I can log my exercise each day knowing exactly how much I burned. And because it keeps track of your heart rate in real time, it's a lot safer if you're doing high intensity things get it skyrocketing. Lastly it's nice to know exactly where you were at each workout, if you repeat them, you can easily see how much better you did.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This may be a very dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. I recently purchased a Sportline Duo HRM. It has the watch with an optional chest strap.

I have only been using the watch part. My question is will the heart rate and calorie burn be as accurate as if I had worn the chest strap? I don't quite understand how the watch works, since it sits on top of your wrist how does it actually monitor your heart rate?

It has a heart rate 'touch' option so that when I am working out I can touch it anywhere on the outside rim of the watch and get a HR reading. When I have finished working out it will tell me how many minutes I was above, below, or in the 'fat burning' zone and how many calories I have burned. Is it actually monitoring every minute, or is it just going by what my HR is when I do a 'touch' reading?

Sorry if this question seems to be beyond stupid :embarassed: but I would really like to understand how it works; but more importantly, if I should be using the chest strap.

Use the chest strap. I've tried two watch HRMs now (different makes), and they really belong in a joke shop. Point of fact is that they cease functioning as soon as you start sweating. I'd love to see the manufacturers' idea of a workout!
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your responses. I will try the chest strap tomorrow and see how it compares to today's results.