I pack my own meals to work because I'd overeat if left on m

gooiyw
gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
Hi MFP world,

I am utterly obsessed with food and it is especially hard here in Malaysia where the food tastes great but is usually prepared with too much oil and salt/ sugar. Heck, our national breakfast is called "nasi lemak" which literally translates to "fat rice"! So, in addition to joining MFP, I have also made a mini-resolution: I shall pack my meals to work as much as I can. It will be a tough challenge I can already tell, because I will miss out on social lunches with friends and colleagues at work.... and did I mention I totally LOVE food?!

Anyway, anyone in the same boat, do add me. :happy:

Cheers,
Gooi

Replies

• Aranda7892
    Aranda7892 Posts: 20 Member
    Great choice! I wish you the best of luck, even if you slip up and not eat healthy don't give up!
  • kristelw
    kristelw Posts: 6 Member
    if i could eat mee goreng every day, i'd be 500 lbs and happy. ;)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Hey Gooi - I so understand what you are saying about the social aspect - and eating out every day - when I was working in Singapore I loved going to the Hawkers Stalls with my work colleauges - it was a highlight every day, and I am sure malaysia is no different.....I was in KL for a couple of days in January and loved exploring the local food!! Rendang Chicken, Fish Head Curry and Roti - mmmmmmm

I totally agree with packing your food for lunch - that is what I do (and have done for the past year and a half)......the key for me is that I actually allow for the occasional (once a week - 10 days) lunch out with my work mates as well....

On that day I make sure that I exercise (so I can eat a bit more), and then try and make reasonably healthy choices when I order. That way you do still have some social interaction, and get to eat the "nice food" too....

I LOVE food too, so had to find a way to be good 97.5% of the time - and get to spoil myself every so often....

Good luck - you can do it!!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    i have to leave my purse in my house and bring a packed lunch, because even when i bring a packed lunch and have my purse i will end up not wanting my healthy lunch and go out and eat rubbish!!!

no money = no rubbish

:D
  • Inglebert
    Inglebert Posts: 34 Member
    I hate that - where you want to make healthy choices and there's mayo in everything, or cream sauce, or butter, or sugar added to stuff that doesn't need it. Also, it's really hard not to eat more than you want once it's there in front of you (that can be a packed lunch problem too though).

Taking your own lunch is great. I find I'm not really that hungry if I have food with me and no access to alternatives.
  • gooiyw
    gooiyw Posts: 114 Member
    Great to know I'm not the only one "struggling" with choosing packed healthy lunch over eating out. :smile: I suppose the other trick also is to make your packed lunch as attractive as you can so you're less tempted to go for alternatives? Hmmmm... (note: research bento)