Anyone know how to cook Whole grain brown rice?!?

Options
Ok so I tried to cook it like white rice but it didn't work. After 20 min it was still hard and all the water was pretty much gone! So I added another cup of water and waited another 15 min... and no change. :grumble: I kept doing this determind to get it right but just ended up forgeting about it while we finished the rest of our dinner. Needless to say it burned! :ohwell: Any suggestions???

Replies

• taveragirl
    Options
    Ok so I tried to cook it like white rice but it didn't work. After 20 min it was still hard and all the water was pretty much gone! So I added another cup of water and waited another 15 min... and no change. :grumble: I kept doing this determind to get it right but just ended up forgeting about it while we finished the rest of our dinner. Needless to say it burned! :ohwell: Any suggestions???
  • glendaz
    glendaz Posts: 55
    Options
    Here you go...I copied the directions off the package!

1. Put brown rice and water together in a pot with a lid. Use the ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. I normally make 3c rice with 4.5c water for a single batch.
    2. Set the heat to maximum, and bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered. Then put the lid on the pot, and reduce the heat to low/simmer. If your lid has a steam valve, keep it closed. Let the rice simmer for 20 minutes.
    3. Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. It’s OK if you let the rice sit longer than 10 minutes (20 or 30 minutes is fine too), but don’t let it go any less. I prefer my rice to be slightly chewy, not mushy, so I usually remove the lid after 10 minutes.
    4. Eat and enjoy. Be careful when you remove the lid, since a lot of steam may escape when you do.

I hope this helps, brown rice is great!! Try adding different vegetables to it to add to the flavor. Garlic is always nice!
  • aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Options
    I soak it for about half an hour before cooking, then drain it and add the amount of water I usually add for white rice. I usually cook it for about 40 minutes. Good luck!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I do like whole grain brown rice, but I don't like to wait forever for it to cook, I cheat by getting quick brown rice.

I know there are purists out there who are going to say it is sacrilege to not use the real thing, but I do like it better than white.

Another option instead of rice is pearl barley, comes in bulk or in a bag usually near the rice in the grocery store.
  • taveragirl
    Options
    Here you go...I copied the directions off the package!

1. Put brown rice and water together in a pot with a lid. Use the ratio of 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice. I normally make 3c rice with 4.5c water for a single batch.
    2. Set the heat to maximum, and bring the rice/water to a boil uncovered. Then put the lid on the pot, and reduce the heat to low/simmer. If your lid has a steam valve, keep it closed. Let the rice simmer for 20 minutes.
    3. Turn off the heat, and let the rice sit in the covered pot for another 10 minutes. It’s OK if you let the rice sit longer than 10 minutes (20 or 30 minutes is fine too), but don’t let it go any less. I prefer my rice to be slightly chewy, not mushy, so I usually remove the lid after 10 minutes.
    4. Eat and enjoy. Be careful when you remove the lid, since a lot of steam may escape when you do.

I hope this helps, brown rice is great!! Try adding different vegetables to it to add to the flavor. Garlic is always nice!

Oh! My package didnt say to let it sit!!! No wonder LOL Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • taveragirl
    Options
    I soak it for about half an hour before cooking, then drain it and add the amount of water I usually add for white rice. I usually cook it for about 40 minutes. Good luck!

Thats a good idea. My grandma used to soak her rice as well...but I forgot. :tongue:
  • taveragirl
    Options
    I do like whole grain brown rice, but I don't like to wait forever for it to cook, I cheat by getting quick brown rice.

I know there are purists out there who are going to say it is sacrilege to not use the real thing, but I do like it better than white.

Another option instead of rice is pearl barley, comes in bulk or in a bag usually near the rice in the grocery store.

If the quick stuff is still whole grain I will try it for sure! I have a fam of five to cook for and every min counts! :happy:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I never soak mine and it usually takes about 20-30 mins to cook. I will note though that brown rice is a bit firmer when cooked than white is. Just seems to be this way. Maybe that's the "crunchiness" you noticed? I use about 2 cups of water to every 3/4 cup rice
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i use success boil in bag whole grain rice. it's super easy and fast!
  • shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i use success boil in bag whole grain rice. it's super easy and fast!

i agree! only takes 10 minutes. 1 bag=2 cups of rice
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You might want to invest in a rice cooker. I have one and I love it. You can also steam veggies in it too. Saves me a lot of time.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I learned this from my husband, he is a chef. This method makes the rice fluffy instead of sticky so if you like sticky rice don't cook it this way.

I prefer using chicken broth instead of water just to add some flavor.

Put a teaspoon or two of olive oil in your pan and let it heat up.

Add your rice and stir till browned (toasted)

Add chicken broth (or water) 1/2 cup at a time, let liquid evaporate in between, after first cup is added you can add all of it. Bring liquid to boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.

Brown rice seems to need more liquid that other rice so I do 1 cup rice and 1 and 1/4 cup liquid. It does take longer to cook as well, I usually start it 20 - 30 minutes BEFORE I start the meats. It reheats well so you can make a bunch and put it in the fridge or even the freezer and pull it out and heat as needed.
  • laurajoyk
    laurajoyk Posts: 305
    Options
    You might want to invest in a rice cooker. I have one and I love it. You can also steam veggies in it too. Saves me a lot of time.

I love my rice cooker too. I usually make brown rice or my wild rice mix in it and I follow the directions on the bag but I always add 1/4 to 1/2 more water than what it calls for so it not as firm and it turns out great.