Why do I ache so much immediately after Exercise

Options
Hi all

I've searched the forums but can't find anything. When I exercise my hip and knee joints kill me afterwards.....to the point where I have to take pain killers about 40 minutes after.

I appreciate I am big (290) so is this just the cause and effect of my size or should I be more concerned

B

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor (and I'm pretty new here!) but it sounds like your joints are getting stressed from your activity. That could be because of your current weight. At my heaviest, I weighed 230, and when I exercised, I got knee and shoulder pain. I'm noticing it less and less as I lose weight (but that could also be attributed to my increased fitness).
    If it's bothering you to the point that you are taking painkillers - go see your doctor.
    And maybe a glucosamine supplement would help?
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I only weigh 117 lbs and I am also having a lot of pain in the joints. My knees have been killing me and my lower back--sciatic area. When I was trying to run a while back, I was having pain in my feet/ankles. I'm starting to wonder if I have some kind of arthritis. I also have to take aleve myself and it isn't helping really. But maybe I will try that glucosamine like LoraF83 suggested. And I am 40 years old, so I don't think that is so old that I should hurt this much. :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    In additional to holding this subject with your primary care physician, Im going to suggest you learn about proper warm-up and cool-down exercises. You may be the type of person who needs to do more stretching than others.

I have heel spurs... they came from hell and have yet to return back to where they came from. LOL!

Ive been given some great advice from a Personal Trainer that works at the same facility that I work in on special body-positioning for optimal stretching....

Ive had hardly any heel pain thanks to the information given to me.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Depending on the severity of the pain, and how long it has persisted for, go to a doctor. Aches and pains when you first start working out is to be expected, but if it's extreme or isn't going away after you get into a routine, it could be a problem.

Do you stretch before you workout? Have you tried lower impact exercises?
  • Lottipeters
    Options
    My father goes boxing and he suffers from joint pain. I would suggest a joint and muscle pain relief cream to apply to areas of concern :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Ice, icy hot and lots of water. Dehydration can do all sorts of odd things to your body, remember to stay hydrated during a workout.
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Cherry Juice Concentrate has been shown to ease joint pain. I take one ounce before my workouts just for the carbs, but do some research on it and see what you think.
    It is a wee bit pricey but if it works for you then it should be okay. Try Amazon.com
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    My knees ache after I'm done running, not so much during. They also kill when I try to do lunges. I went to a NovaCare specialst and they said that my knee cap is kind of off center(?)/rubbing (it makes a clicking noise when I walk up and down stairs)... maybe from bad form when lifting. Be careful about that. Try to make sure that when you're working out you're not favoring one side or leaning...everything has to be centered or you can get injured. And ice always helps!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Are you warming up properly before you work out? Are you cooling down and stretching after? If not, look into these or ask a personal trainer. If you are and are still having joint pain, check with your physician. You don't want to persist with habits than can injure your joints.

HTH