Addicted to running...

Options
Just started running, about 4 weeks ago. Started using a app for From couch to 5k. I do still use it, but find myself doing more because the app..never tells me to stop running. LOL Anyways, I did my best run yet yesterday. 1.94 miles. Only walked the first 5 mins. 29 mins. My problem is I feel like I am really SLOW. Nike+ GPS app on my iPhone said pace was 15 "05" . Not sure how fast this is...Im sure its really slow. Should I be concerned with speed yet? How do I get faster? I take a spin class 3 times a week...hoping this helps with speed.

Thanks!

Replies

• jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't worry about speed, you can work on that later. Keep working the C25K program.....AWESOME JOB!!! The spin class will help with endurance and you probably want to add some weights (squats, leg presses, etc) in there to help stengthen your legs and core. Once you complete the 5K program, I say enter a 5K....you'll always go faster on race day :-) and the sense of accomplishment going over that finish line is awesome! When it comes time for working on speed...google 'Fartlek '(it's speed intervals). don't go nuts right now on that, especially since you want to stay healthy (and keep running!) Good luck!!
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i took up running in january and i LOVE it never though id say that in my life lol. when i started i couldnt run half way round the island we have (its 1mile round, muddy paths with pebbles etc) any ways now im running it 3 times round only stopping to go up the 60 steps to the beggining.

dont get discouraged by your speed that will come in time. im no expert but thats what ive been told. i feel mine getting faster as time goes on i was an asmatic snail when i started. give you an example when i reached once round the island it took me 15 minutes including the walk to the top i did it yestarday in 11 minutes.

hope this helps xx
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Great job! Don't worry about speed at all. You're doing a great job and when you are ready you can do some research on speedwork. The more you build your endurance you'll find yourself increasing your speed. The reason I liked the C25K program is because it keeps you steady. It is super easy to try to push to hard, run out of energy and get discouraged.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about speed. Concentrate on getting through the C25K program and after that increasing the runs with zero or minimal walking sections. As your running ability increases the speed will come.

Other exercises (cardio or strength) will help your overall health AND your running. Cycling is considered to be an excellent companion sport to running, so spinning will be fine.

Well done and best wishes.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    You will get faster. Actually, most likely you'll be surprised at how quickly your pace changes if you stick with the program. However, with that being said, it's not a speed contest. It's a contest to better your physical self. The good news is, both will happen. Don't let your pace worry you. Listen to this.............

***WARNING***

Running is very addictive behavior as you've already concluded. This little 'ole C25K will drug you enough to sign up for a 5K run. That in turn will tempt you to do a 10K. Once you have that high, you'll be seduced into signing up for a half marathon and you'll become friends with the likes of Hal Higdon and Jeff Galloway. They'll tease you into crazy mind thoughts of a doing a full marathon. Chances are you'll stir at night and this thought will keep you awake. Then you'll do it. You'll sign up for a full marathon. And why?

Because. Running. Is. Addictive.

Consider yourself warned.
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    You did amazing!! I have been running for the past couple of years. I have gone from right where you are now to running a Marathon. I have been injured, ran slow, ran fast, ran hurt, and had to figure out all kinds of things along the way.
    I always say that it doesent matter how fast your going, as long as your going. Just do what feels right.
    Your 15:05 pace is the average time it would take you to run one mile. I keep my warm ups longer, esp if im going to run a long distance. You will find what works for you. I do suggest doing a good walk/ warm up before running and just pace yourself so you are not out of breath. I also find it important to cool down as well.
    I dont think spin class will get you faster. I think it will help you be stonger. But the only way to get faster is to train faster. If I were you id subscribe to Running magazine. It has some gret articles and can help keep you motivated.
    Just remember to go at your own pace and your body will let you know. Because doing too much too soon and can lead to injury. And if you really love running it will drive you nuts when you are injured and cant do so.
    Have fun with your new found love of running!
  • dorkynerd
    dorkynerd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for all the kind words and information. I LOVE running. I can remember in high school when we had to run. I hated it. I don't know why I like it so much now. It makes me feel great and I AM PROUD of the progress I have made. I started off, not being able to run a min. Now I am running 25 mins without stopping.

Im going to keep at it! Thank you!!!!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I run very slowly (4.3 mph) but I run, it feels great, love the high I get but don't worry about speed, as they say "you are still lapping past those on the couch".
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use to be a runner 10 years ago. Well my battle and I started the C25K about 3 weeks ago. We are on level 3 and I'm loving it! I've already registerd for my first 5K in April and can't wait. At 1500 mile is a 5.0 on a treadmil. That is what I started at, but each week I've been bumping it .2 or .3. I'm currently running at 5.5 on the treadmill. My big fear is the difference between the treadmill running and outside running. Its way to cold to run outside right now but hope to a few weeks before the 5K. I don't worry too much about the speed. If I'm having troubles running for as long as it tells me, I slow down. :) I say just keep going and it will all work out. (that's my mentality so far)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No! Do not worry about speed. The goal is all about distance!

I am currently in a learn to run clinic and my instructor tells me that we don't want to push ourselves too hard and too fast because the whole point is to be able to finish the 5km....

Currently I am at a 7:1 (run/walk ratio) and running 4km... Next week it gets up to 4.5km and an 8:1 (run/walk ratio)... Eeeek...lol I am having fun though and I can't wait to compete in my first marathon in a few weeks time! 5km here I come!

Good luck with your training!
  • katielouise24
    Options
    Hey there, firstly - well done for starting running! I absolutely love it! How long have you been doing it? Don't worry about speed, if you start going to fast and lose momentum, it's easy to lose motivation from it... I would reccomend carrying on with a speed your comfortable with for now and continue to build up times and distance. That is what I started to do when I started taking it more seriously, it's taken me 3 years to really learn about how I run, the benefits, building up slowly, then learning about interval/tempo training etc Here are some resources that really got me going..

Running Made Easy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zest-Running-Made-Easy-Magazine/dp/1843404346 just the most inspiring running book going aimed for ladies like us - it has training plans, simple ways to build up speed for example jog for 2 minutes, run for 1 minute etc it has health tips & food tips and inspiring stories!

Then I started signing up to challenges, look out for a local 5k - do it with friends, fancy dress, make it fun :) there are alsorts of training plan tools... I enjoy using My Asics http://my.asics.co.uk/my/dashboard you can create your own personal training plan, how many times you want to run a week, it encourages different paces etc

Anyway, hope this has been helpful and good luck :) speak soon x
  • katielouise24
    Options
    Hey there, firstly - well done for starting running! I absolutely love it! How long have you been doing it? Don't worry about speed, if you start going to fast and lose momentum, it's easy to lose motivation from it... I would reccomend carrying on with a speed your comfortable with for now and continue to build up times and distance. That is what I started to do when I started taking it more seriously, it's taken me 3 years to really learn about how I run, the benefits, building up slowly, then learning about interval/tempo training etc Here are some resources that really got me going..

Running Made Easy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zest-Running-Made-Easy-Magazine/dp/1843404346 just the most inspiring running book going aimed for ladies like us - it has training plans, simple ways to build up speed for example jog for 2 minutes, run for 1 minute etc it has health tips & food tips and inspiring stories!

Then I started signing up to challenges, look out for a local 5k - do it with friends, fancy dress, make it fun :) there are alsorts of training plan tools... I enjoy using My Asics http://my.asics.co.uk/my/dashboard you can create your own personal training plan, how many times you want to run a week, it encourages different paces etc

Anyway, hope this has been helpful and good luck :) speak soon x
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    You will get faster and not notice it unless you are always looking at the clock, heart rate and distance like me. and as you lose weight you speed will pick up too.....I am also hooked on running and it gets worse when everytime i see progress...
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club :) I feel like running is one of the world's best kept secrets - once you discover it, it's like you're a whole new person! That's how it was for me anyway.

Don't worry so much about gaining speed and stamina, that will come with time. What's important is you don't push yourself too hard, too fast. That's how injuries occur.

Just enjoy running and knowing all the miles that pass beneath your feet :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This thread was really inspiring to me, I am NOT a runner, but i've been toying with the idea of starting in the spring (I don't love the idea of running on ice lol) it's really encouraging to me that people have gone from hating it (which is MY last memory of running in HS) to being addicted!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I slog (slow + jog). speed eventually. I average about a 12-13 min/mile pace
  • Epicmum54
    Options
    What worked for me was running with a friend!! My running partner is 5'8", legs to her neck and can run comfortably on the treadmill somewhere between an 8.2 and 9...depending on her mood!! I am 5'6", short legs which were not made for sprinting but slow and steady runs so I asked if we could run together...sure she had to slow her pace, and she usually ran a few feet in in front of me, but it forced me to run faster...and we talked...which is excellent for building cardio and good breathing habits. The first few weeks were incredibly hard..."Where's the fire?" I would yell at her...but as time went on, I became faster and stronger...and without even realizing it!! (P.S....my husband swears by the fartleks!). And yes, running on the treadmill is easier than running outside. You will definitely notice a change, but running outside beats the heck out of running inside in the stale air of the gym or your house!! My limit for running outside is -30 C...there is excellent gear out there for winter running that will keep you warm (and stylish!! ;))...I love the crisp sound of the crunching snow under my runners...and if you go at sunrise it is absolutely breathtaking - makes you blessed to be alive!! Good luck!!
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    This thread was really inspiring to me, I am NOT a runner, but i've been toying with the idea of starting in the spring (I don't love the idea of running on ice lol) it's really encouraging to me that people have gone from hating it (which is MY last memory of running in HS) to being addicted!

Do it, once you start thats it!! I remember when i could not run or jog for .5 miles now i jog 4-6 miles non stop, my heart rate has gotten lower at the same pace so i'm forced to turn the speed up (go faster) to stay within the zone that i want.

If we can do it you can do it!!!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 8 of the couch to 5K program and it is honestly the greatest thing I have ever done! My friends glaze over when I start talking about running now, I just love it! Even though it is hard, and I am pretty slow.
    Working on getting my distance sorted then starting to look at speed, signing up for a 10K shortly, and maybe a half marathon next year!
    We've had quite a bit of snow here and I loved running in it (not so much the slush!)