POLAR FT4

Options

Replies

• redkim615
    redkim615 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OK i i gave in and bought one - love it.

I have a few questions - the watch/strap says i burnt a lot more calories than the MFP calculated settings - am i doing something wonrg??? Does anyonehve a smliar experience?

Also, does anyone know where i should find out where my target heart rate should be???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

I love mine too. No, you are not doing anything wrong. The exercise-burn rates on here are those entered in by other members, just log-in your rates as a new exercise.

Target heart rate calculator found on the internet: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/target_heart_rate.htm
    Good Luck to you.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I want one of these so bad but they are so expensive. May I ask where you got yours and how much was it?

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-products.html

$67 FT4 Free shipping
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 - love it ! Easy to use. So far, my calorie burn weight lifting is higher with my Polar than MFP estimates ( of course, since it is actually reading your heart rate); lower with my cardio (I always suspected MFP was too high on those estimates). Every person's body is diff, so an HRM is the way to go.

I'm a big bargain shopper, and I shopped around, the best deal I found (with free shipping !) was at
    http://www.bodytronics.com/ $61.88

I got the pink. I'm truly not a pink person, but HEY! It's an HRM, so why not go with a funky color - only gonna wear it to work out :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just got my Polar FT4 - love it ! Easy to use. So far, my calorie burn weight lifting is higher with my Polar than MFP estimates ( of course, since it is actually reading your heart rate); lower with my cardio (I always suspected MFP was too high on those estimates). Every person's body is diff, so an HRM is the way to go.

I'm a big bargain shopper, and I shopped around, the best deal I found (with free shipping !) was at
    http://www.bodytronics.com/ $61.88

I got the pink. I'm truly not a pink person, but HEY! It's an HRM, so why not go with a funky color - only gonna wear it to work out :)

FYI: HRMs are not accurate for strength training as the calculation in the watch assumes a certain oxygen uptake that does not occur during non-cardio activity. Because of this your HRM assumes your oxygen uptake is higher therefore giving you an estimated burn that would be much higher than your actual burn.

HRM use your HR to gauge level of exertion but the caloric burn has to do with oxygen intake, not HR, the HR is just used to estimate this, and you HR is elevated due to other physiological reasons during strength training. In other words, don't count all the cals burned the HRM tells you for non-cardio activity.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just ordered mine from bodytronics.com with the POPO code, and my bill was $58.79.

Now, I just have to WAIT!
  • ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I want one of these so bad but they are so expensive. May I ask where you got yours and how much was it?

I got mine from bodytronics as well: $61.88 and free shipping! http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4
    I LOVE this HRM!
  • countryclubber
    Options
    bump! i ordered the polar ft7 earlier this week and cant wait to get it in...and i'm bumping this page for all the other valuable info yall have provide...thanks :)
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Been researching all weekend and this definitely helps! Thanks for everyone's advice!
  • JBuck1914
    JBuck1914 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Same here my wife and I love ours and we just got them about two weeks ago. It really helps you see what you are burning and I would go with the reading on the watch verse MFP.
  • Front_Runner
    Options

I got mine at an REI Used Gear Sale. If you live near an REI - see when the next one is. They have them quarterly or so. I paid literally $8.37 for it. It was a bit of a gamble - since it was returned used... but for $8 I took a chance. Works perfectly! There were probably 5+ HRM at the sale. This one just looked to be in good condition, and when I played with it in the store - it appeared to work. Good luck!
  • gudiiya
    gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SandyMilton
    Options

For those looking to buy one, try Bodytronics.com and try discount code "POPO" that will get you an additional 5% off. My Polar FT4 cost $58 plus tax.

I did this after I saw the post :) They contacted me to let me know the pink I wanted wouldn't be in stock until Tuesday (tomorrow) and asked if I wanted to wait for the restock or choose another color - I decided to wait for the restock because I really wanted the funky color :)
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Mine always come out way lower than MFP's, so depressing sometimes. Oh well.

For those looking to buy one, try Bodytronics.com and try discount code "POPO" that will get you an additional 5% off. My Polar FT4 cost $58 plus tax.

I also purchased my FT4 from Bodytronics.com using the "POPO" code. I love the FT4. I makes me work just a little harder to make sure I'm in the correct "zone"!
  • Hollybot
    Hollybot Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I bought mine from bodytronics.com and it was 60 with free shipping. cheapest place I found it
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I loooooove my FT4. I am kind of obssessed with wearing it for every active thing I do. For me, MFP calories and calories shown on cardio machines tend to be higher - I trust my HRM. Just remember to continuously update your weight!
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bump...Im still deciding which HRM to buy. Thanks for the POPO code
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I know I'm getting one, I just haven't decided whether to get the FT4 or the FT7. I'm thinking the FT7 may have too many extras making it confusing.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    OK i i gave in and bought one - love it.

I have a few questions - the watch/strap says i burnt a lot more calories than the MFP calculated settings - am i doing something wonrg??? Does anyonehve a smliar experience?

Also, does anyone know where i should find out where my target heart rate should be???

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!
    Why would you question in it? it is actually measuring your heart rate. it is a very accurate way to measure calories burned.
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    Mine always come out way lower than MFP's, so depressing sometimes. Oh well.

This^

Thanks for the code!