Pain from Cesarean?

Options
Hi All - I am noticing a lot of discomfort in my abdominal area. I chalk it up to a healing cesarean scar...curious if anyone else has dealt with this, and if so, any suggestions on pain management? I am still nursing and would prefer to avoid OTC meds. Thanks!

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, especially If you're still nursing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Gosh it's been almost 6 years, but I do remember some pain as things were healing, but it's been so long. A call to the doctor wouldn't be a bad idea. They probably won't make you come in, but they may be able to offer something that would help! How fresh is the scar? If the skin is healed I would suggest a heating pad for some relief.
  • Venice57
    Venice57 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months postpartum and still have this, too. The area is numb in several places... just all around strange! Definitely talk to your OB.
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have your baby?
    Is it constant?
    Anything make it worse? better?
  • CLotfy
    CLotfy Posts: 31
    Options
    How old is your baby? My twins are 20 months old and I felt random c-section pain for a good 8 months or so...just random, whenever twinges. I still have awful, ripping type pain when I work my abs, but when at rest that area is pretty much just numb to the touch. I know that my muscles had major surgery on them and it's going to take awhile for them to be back to them oldself again.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Its been 14 years since my cesarean, but I do still rarely and randomly have pain there, and I still have NO feeling along the scar line. It is purely numb. I can massage it and massage it and still no feeling. I guess that just comes with it.
  • rebeccaafrica
    rebeccaafrica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    of course always talk to your doc. but truth is i've had 3 c-sections and there's at times depending on what your doing or wearing the scar can and will brother you. the first 2 months after if the pain was bad I would take 800mg ibuprofen to take the edge off I also nursed. Check with the doc. they can tell you if its norm or not and what to do. It will be ok.
  • mspottedelk89
    Options
    I get pain too once in a while,mostly when my time of the month comes around.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Its been 14 years since my cesarean, but I do still rarely and randomly have pain there, and I still have NO feeling along the scar line. It is purely numb. I can massage it and massage it and still no feeling. I guess that just comes with it.

I'm the same way...I've had 4 and it's pretty numb. I occasionally have a burning sensation at the ends of the scar...I was exercising and it may have been adhesions.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Comes with the territory. I've had two C sections. My first in 2003, my second in 2007. Still get random pain, and definitely permanent numbness. At first I was totally bummed, but you learn to live with it. It is just something you get used to over time. Your initial pain will ease up....promise. :) Congrats on the baby!
  • mmeza007
    mmeza007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would have some stings even 1 and a half year after my daughter was born. Also during your period you may feel some discomfort. Remember that your uterus can take a lot of time healing and scaring, even if you don't see it externally. Also agree, call your doctor if the pain is too much.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I did not exercise for a long time after my c-section but I am 3 yrs and 7 months since and I still have numb areas every where even on my leg but not on my scar its fine. Weird. I wouldn't push myself though. Definitely mention it to your Dr.'s nurse.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My first cesarean I had no problems...With my second one I was up doing a lot more since I had a toddler at home. I remember I was in sever pain one day and found out that I strained my muscle by where they cut (my first one is sideways, my second cut is up and down) and it takes several weeks to heal. I do remember it was extremely painful but it goes away. I hope you get some relief soon!!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you could have an infection??? If you have any doubt go and see your doctor as soon as possible.

It has been 5.5 years since mine and I still get pain from time to time!
  • MrsRAW712
    MrsRAW712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was reminded by my mother after my delivery that this was major surgery, although we may not think of it as such. My daughter is 18 months and my scar still feels a little tender and numb (as others have mentioned) to the touch. It will take lots of time for you to feel "normal" again. I think it will just be our regular reminders that we brought sweet little ones into the world!
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    I did not have pain but I was numb for a while, my doctor said that would be the case for 6-12 months post partum & she was dead on too. I would talk to your doctor for reassurance if nothing else, good luck.
  • Runthismom
    Options
    While my scar is in the same place, it's not for the same reasons that you all do...

I have no feeling from my belly button to about 2 inches under the scar. My incision was slightly below the "hair line". My abdomen still looks a little puffy, and the scar is very sensitive to the touch, and it's been 2 years in March since my surgery.

I still get shooting pain in my abdomen randomly, right around the scar. I am assuming it's because of the surgery itself. But after the surgery, I could hardly walk. I was hunched over like a little old lady.

I think it's fairly normal to have some discomfort, but if you have serious pain- call your OB.
  • mksaffold
    Options
    It took me two years to fully recover and i can still feel it tingle when the weather is really cold or it's almost that time of month. It will get better, just give it time and be patient and kind to yourself.
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    Options
    I had an emergency c-section and it turned into a uterine inversion + blood transfusion. It was insane. All 3 obgyn's were in there trying to save my life. Sigh.. anyway, this was 5 years ago, and the pain was pretty bad for at least 1 year. I think it still lasted but then I had a miscarriage/d&c not quite a year later.. another year went by and I was pregnant again and had another c-section but honestly it was nothing at all compared to the first time. I was ready to move around, but yea, it was the medication that helped. The first time there wasn't enough medication! When I called for a refill the on-call doctor[not mine] told me I shouldn't be in pain anymore. This was 3 weeks out of being in the hospital.. which I was in the hospital for 7 days. She told me to come in because I shouldn't be in pain. I was in awe. Anyway, I hope you get the help you need! It really sucks, especially when NO ONE believes you! Good luck!
  • CarrieQuiteContrary
    Options
    p.s. I am still numb where my scar is. =/