Tuna Rub
1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp ground black pepper

Honey Wasabi Sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp wasabi (prepared)
2 tbsp Kikkoman Ponzu (Citrus seasoned soy sauce, same sodium as lite)
1 oz Grand Marnier (may also substitute with sherry cooking wine)
1/8 tsp Maggi seasoning
1/8 tsp ground ginger

Other stuff
2 tbsp Sesame oil (for searing Tuna, any oil will do though)
2 Tbsp Roasted sesame seeds
1 lime
2 cups Jasmine rice, prepared (or your choice of rice)

Directions:

1. Rub a small amount of oil on all sides of the tuna steak. Combine the tuna rub spices to taste and rub generously onto both sides of the tuna steak.

2. Combine ingredients for the Honey Wasabi Sauce and mix thoroughly. In a small sauce pan, heat until simmering and allow to cook for about 7-10 minutes.

3. While the Honey Wasabi Sauce is simmering, sear the tuna in a very hot iron skillet with some sesame oil on all sides until rare or to desired doneness. (The fresher the tuna, the more rare it should be. Your choice though..)

Additional reference: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/33306_cooking-techniques-seafood-tunasteak2-sear.htm - Let the tuna steak get to room temperature before searing. This will allow you to properly cook the outside without burning and still allow for a warm, rare center. A cold steak will still be cold in the middle after the outside is cooked.

4. Cut the tuna steak into 1/4"-thick slices and place on a bed of baby lettuces and/or baby spinach. Drizzle Honey Wasabi sauce and then a bit of lime juice over tuna slices. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and serve with rice.

Replies

• fatstrat
    fatstrat Posts: 216
    Options
    I had an idea one evening and here it is:

Ingredients:

4 - 4 oz tuna steaks

Tuna Rub
    1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tbsp garlic powder
    1/2 tbsp ground ginger

Honey Wasabi Sauce
    1 tbsp honey
    1 tsp wasabi (prepared)
    2 tbsp Kikkoman Ponzu (Citrus seasoned soy sauce, same sodium as lite)
    1 oz Grand Marnier (may also substitute with sherry cooking wine)
    1/8 tsp Maggi seasoning
    1/8 tsp ground ginger

Other stuff
    2 tbsp Sesame oil (for searing Tuna, any oil will do though)
    1 lime
    2 cups Jasmine rice, prepared (or your choice of rice)

Directions:

1. Rub a small amount of oil on all sides of the tuna steak. Combine the tuna rub spices to taste and rub generously onto both sides of the tuna steak.

2. Combine ingredients for the Honey Wasabi Sauce and mix thoroughly. In a small sauce pan, heat until simmering and allow to cook for about 7-10 minutes.

3. While the Honey Wasabi Sauce is simmering, sear the tuna in a very hot iron skillet with some sesame oil on all sides until rare or to desired doneness. (The fresher the tuna, the more rare it should be. Your choice though..)

Additional reference: http://www.expertvillage.com/video/33306_cooking-techniques-seafood-tunasteak2-sear.htm - Let the tuna steak get to room temperature before searing. This will allow you to properly cook the outside without burning and still allow for a warm, rare center. A cold steak will still be cold in the middle after the outside is cooked.

4. Cut the tuna steak into 1/4"-thick slices and place on a bed of baby lettuces and/or baby spinach. Drizzle Honey Wasabi sauce and then a bit of lime juice over tuna slices. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and serve with rice.
  • fatstrat
    Options
    (Sorry for the "cut and paste" links. I tried searching the forum for the codes to post links, but the search function is way too advanced for the likes of me.)

Nutritional information:

Cut and paste the ingredients below and paste into the form here:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I guess it's fairly accurate.

4 - 4 oz tuna steaks

1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tbsp garlic powder
    1/2 tbsp ground ginger

1 tbsp honey
    1 tsp wasabi (prepared)
    2 tbsp Lite soy sauce
    1 oz Grand Marnier
    1/8 tsp Maggi seasoning
    1/8 tsp ground ginger

2 tbsp Sesame oil
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 cups Jasmine rice, prepared
  • fatstrat
    Options
    One last thing, that was the first run of my recipe. I've since started making a mixture of corn starch and water (about 50/50) and slowly adding while the sauce is simmering until it is to the desired thickness. Cook the sauce until the corn starch goes clear.

Additional reference: http://www.drgourmet.com/techniques/thickeningagents.shtml
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    give ya $4.00 each
    send em fed ex
    chop chop