How often do you work out?

Options
How long do you work out each time you workout and how many days a week? I wonder if I am crazy but when I get on my treadmill I don't really pay attention to time I look at the calories I burn and I try to reach 600 well sometimes 500 depending on the day and how I feel. It usually takes an hour or like 70mins depending on my speed of course. Is that ok to do?

Replies

• jessica7368
    jessica7368 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I don't usually burn 600 calories though, usually about 400-550 depending on what I'm doing that day. I try to keep lots of variety in my work out so I don't get bored and my body doesn't get use to the actives I'm doing :)

Here is my work out regimen:

Monday 30 min cardio, 30 min personal training session,
    Tuesday 60 min step class & 20 min Core Class,
    Wednesday Run 5 miles,
    Thursday, run 3 miles 60 min body pump class (weights),
    Friday My day off :),
    Saturday 60 min step class,
    Sunday Run 5 miles
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've heard (and please, someone correct me if I'm completely wrong here), that 30-40 mins of cardio is all you really need in one sitting - if you do more than that, the body can get used to the exercise and it's less effective. Doing shorter cardio sessions followed by strength/weight training might be something you could try.

Again, not saying this is 100% fact, someone fact check me on this.

As for whether it's "ok:" do you feel okay afterwards? If so, you're probably fine. If you feel weak or faint, or if you start developing pain in your knees or back, you may want to cut back. Essentially your body is pretty good at telling you if something's not ok, so if it's not telling you otherwise, you're probably fine.
  • ashliehawk
    Options
    I work out 6 days a week. I don't usually burn 600 calories though, usually about 400-550 depending on what I'm doing that day. I try to keep lots of variety in my work out so I don't get bored and my body doesn't get use to the actives I'm doing :)

Here is my work out regimen:

Monday 30 min cardio, 30 min personal training session,
    Tuesday 60 min step class & 20 min Core Class,
    Wednesday Run 5 miles,
    Thursday, run 3 miles 60 min body pump class (weights),
    Friday My day off :),
    Saturday 60 min step class,
    Sunday Run 5 miles

Thanks! I have been walking/jogging/running on my treadmill 5 days a week. I have started the Ripped in 30 by Jillian Michaels and that program is 6 days a week and today I tried that 15min miracle video by Shaun T and I was thinking of doing that one or two days a week idk. I can't really leave my house because I am a stay at home mom of a very busy 3 yr old and I also watch another 3 yr old 3 days a week so I have to get my workout in early in the mornings before mine wakes up.
  • ashliehawk
    Options
    I've heard (and please, someone correct me if I'm completely wrong here), that 30-40 mins of cardio is all you really need in one sitting - if you do more than that, the body can get used to the exercise and it's less effective. Doing shorter cardio sessions followed by strength/weight training might be something you could try.

Again, not saying this is 100% fact, someone fact check me on this.

As for whether it's "ok:" do you feel okay afterwards? If so, you're probably fine. If you feel weak or faint, or if you start developing pain in your knees or back, you may want to cut back. Essentially your body is pretty good at telling you if something's not ok, so if it's not telling you otherwise, you're probably fine.

Thanks and I feel fine afterward. I just want to burn the max amount of calories and I don't get to leave my house much at all being a stay at home mom. Any ideas on what I can do for strength training here at home and maybe not to costly?