New runner had a bad day

Options
2»

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Every runner has great days, and then they have days where they feel like they're running through molasses, and everything hurts. You shouldn't chronically hurt over weeks at a time, but if you have trouble getting through a run for a day now and then, don't worry about it too much, or let it get you down. Just listen to your body's cues, and follow the pace. But make sure that you keep running form, holding your body upright and keeping your footfall in mind, otherwise you could develop bad habits that lead to injury.

This! Not all runs are great. So much goes into it- mental state, sleep, rest, the last time you ate, stress etc... Everyone has a bad day where you are dragging *kitten* and every step hurts or feels like you are trying to move a mountain. Just take a rest day or two and put it behind you!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years, and there is a lot of variability from day to day. I've had days where I've done much better than I had any reason to expect. And I've had days that were much worse than I every would have expected. I chalk it up to there being so many variables in our life: stress at work, stress from kids/home, amount of sleep, quality of sleep, recent eating, recent exercise and rest, etc. Just keep working and look for improvements over time, they will be there.
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great topic! Thanks for posting this! You are doing amazing, btw! Keep it up!

I too am a beginning runner but have had some issues if anyone can answer a couple of questions for me also...

I started running right after Thanksgiving. Right now, I can run a mile and a quarter non stop at 5mph (yay!), but I haven't been able to be consistent with that. I seem to have more bad runs than good ones. I really want to try to get to were I can run two miles without stopping, but it seems that I will never get there if I can't even continuously run the mile and a quarter. Most times I can run for five or ten minutes, but have to stop. I don't understand why this is happening.

Has anyone else experienced this in the beginning?
    So many questions... let's start with:

1. How often are you running? Hopefully not more than every other day.

2. Why do you have to stop? Do you just feel tired? Are you out of breath?

1. Well, I run/ walk for 30 minutes nearly 5-6 days a week (on a treadmill) before I move on to other cardio routines. Should I keep the running to every other day?

2. I stop because I get tired more so than out of breath. My calves start tensing up. I really think a big chunk of it is the shoes I have. They are a cheapy version of those rounded bottom ones. I bought them before I started running and really would like a better shoe since I've become more serious about running and fitness in general.
  • zibbity
    Options

I too am a beginning runner but have had some issues if anyone can answer a couple of questions for me also...

I started running right after Thanksgiving. Right now, I can run a mile and a quarter non stop at 5mph (yay!), but I haven't been able to be consistent with that. I seem to have more bad runs than good ones. I really want to try to get to were I can run two miles without stopping, but it seems that I will never get there if I can't even continuously run the mile and a quarter. Most times I can run for five or ten minutes, but have to stop. I don't understand why this is happening.

Two things could be at work - first up it's the "toxic 10" where your body moves to use different fuel. See my link above for more info. Push through and it gets better afterwards, I promise!

Second is you need to break it up like you did when you started. If you can run 10 minutes, you've got that sorted! Do that, walk two minutes or until you get your breath back, run another 10 minutes, walk break, run five and bingo, you've run two miles! Next time run 12, walk break, run 12.

If you want a more structured programme, look at C25K:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

You could jump in at week 5 or 6.

I am about to sink my teeth into the tip link you posted. Thank you for this!!
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    2. I stop because I get tired more so than out of breath. My calves start tensing up. I really think a big chunk of it is the shoes I have. They are a cheapy version of those rounded bottom ones. I bought them before I started running and really would like a better shoe since I've become more serious about running and fitness in general.

Lose the shoes. They aren't helping you run.

OP, just keep it up. There are good runs and bad ones. You're doing fine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

1. Well, I run/ walk for 30 minutes nearly 5-6 days a week (on a treadmill) before I move on to other cardio routines. Should I keep the running to every other day?

1. If you're in pain, then yes, I'd keep the impact stuff to every other day. See if that helps.
    2. Please don't run in "toner" shoes. One, companies that make them are getting sued because they don't do what they say they will and two, you're putting a lot of strain on your ankles and knees to try and keep you balanced since they aren't flat. I know someone who did aerobics in them and end ending up spraining her ankle really badly. You're better off running in cheap tennis shoes than those things. Your best bet is to find a dedicated running store and go get fitted by them for a pair of shoes that fits your running style and foot shape.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Hey, we all have bad days, take another rest day then go back and repeat that session, you'll be fine!

I think I address most of your questions in by beginner's tips here, but do get in touch if you need to know more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Shin pain is very, very normal for beginners! Try to avoid an exaggerated heel landing, and to strengthen you shins kick off your shoes and trace the letters of the alphabet with your toes.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for this blog.
  • zibbity
    Options

1. If you're in pain, then yes, I'd keep the impact stuff to every other day. See if that helps.
    2. Please don't run in "toner" shoes. One, companies that make them are getting sued because they don't do what they say they will and two, you're putting a lot of strain on your ankles and knees to try and keep you balanced since they aren't flat. I know someone who did aerobics in them and end ending up spraining her ankle really badly. You're better off running in cheap tennis shoes than those things. Your best bet is to find a dedicated running store and go get fitted by them for a pair of shoes that fits your running style and foot shape.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I didn't really feel right the first time I put those things on. It just felt...off. I'll probably just invest in a better shoe.

Any of you long time runners have a shoe or brand you swear by? I'm still going to go into a store and speak to someone about what would work best for me, but I'm curious as to what you guys are using or have used.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I didn't really feel right the first time I put those things on. It just felt...off. I'll probably just invest in a better shoe.

Any of you long time runners have a shoe or brand you swear by? I'm still going to go into a store and speak to someone about what would work best for me, but I'm curious as to what you guys are using or have used.
    Everyone has a favorite brand, I'm sure, but our feet are all different. Let the sales people at the running store check your gait and foot shape and recommend a few brands.

That said, Brooks and Mizunos run a bit small so don't be surprised if you're wearing a much bigger "size" that you'd think you would if you end up with a pair of either. I normally wear a size 7 in tennis shoes but my Mizunos are a size 9.