Experienced runners?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
I just started my couch25k program and I've noticed something. When I run, I get this acidic feeling in my throat, and my mouth starts to get a... blood taste in it? I don't know how else to describe it. Its that irony blood taste.

Is this just normal exertion? Is it something I should have looked at?
Thing is, when I get out of breath with biking I don't get this. Is it just a lack of experience running?

Replies

• msarro
    Options
    I just started my couch25k program and I've noticed something. When I run, I get this acidic feeling in my throat, and my mouth starts to get a... blood taste in it? I don't know how else to describe it. Its that irony blood taste.

Is this just normal exertion? Is it something I should have looked at?
    Thing is, when I get out of breath with biking I don't get this. Is it just a lack of experience running?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    you might have a weak valve in your throat, I used to get that sometimes. It's probably acid reflux, probably a bit of an ulcer too (the blood taste). If it persists, you might want to get checked, but the doctor will probably just tell you to take an antacid before working out.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I don't have a solution yet, but my 16 year-old daughter has just begun experiencing this as well as newly diagnosed exercise induced asthma. The doctor believes it is acid reflux and has started her on a prescription acid reducer. Apparently there is a close connection between asthma and acid reflux. Do you have any asthma issues? I don't know if treatment has worked as it's spring break and she isn't running, but her overall reflux is better so I'm optimistic!
    I would try some over the counter acid reducer or go see your doctor for his advice!
    Good luck!

Becky
  • msarro
    Options
    Not sure about acid reflux. I used to get all refluxy when I lifted in the early morning, turned out the culprit was waking up and drinking orange juice :)

This is a different sort of feeling. Acidic is the only way I can describe it, but its more of a strained sort of feeling. Maybe thats a better way to put it? My throat feels like its been strained really badly, and I get that bloody taste (but no blood is anywhere, so I'm guessing its just swelling?).

Edit: No history of asthma outside of bronchial asthma when I had bronchitis, and that was long, long ago. If it was asthma though, wouldn't I encounter the same issue when cycling or doing aerobics?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Oh, I think I get it now. Hehe, if it's what I think it is, it's the same thing I get at the end of my Tabata. I won't say it's normal without experiencing it first hand, but if it's what I get, it's something you get from extreme exertion. If, as you get better with running, this doesn't calm down, I would speak to someone, but I've noticed, a lot of this is usuallly because you haven't been staying hydrated while working out. It's very important, when you overexert and hypervetilate a little, your throat dries out, your throat is never supposed to be dry, keep it hydrated, see if that helps. FYI, you should drink about an oz of water per 5 minutes of medium to hard workout involving anaerobic activity. So if you run for 1 hour, you should drink a full 12 oz of water while doing it (preferably not all at once).
  • msarro
    Options
    Oh, I think I get it now. Hehe, if it's what I think it is, it's the same thing I get at the end of my Tabata. I won't say it's normal without experiencing it first hand, but if it's what I get, it's something you get from extreme exertion. If, as you get better with running, this doesn't calm down, I would speak to someone, but I've noticed, a lot of this is usuallly because you haven't been staying hydrated while working out. It's very important, when you overexert and hypervetilate a little, your throat dries out, your throat is never supposed to be dry, keep it hydrated, see if that helps. FYI, you should drink about an oz of water per 5 minutes of medium to hard workout involving anaerobic activity. So if you run for 1 hour, you should drink a full 12 oz of water while doing it (preferably not all at once).

That actually would make sense. When I do aerobics I have water on hand, and when I'm cycling I usually am wearing a hydration pack, so my throat doesn't get dry. When I run, its pretty much just me and the road, hahaha. I'll try wearing the hydro pack next time and see if it changes anything. Thanks man!