Already a fairly healthy weight but looking to lean out more

Options
Is anyone else in my boat? I am 5'5", and started at 134 lbs. I have been exercising for years and have good stomach definition but my arms have always been my trouble spot. I always knew that losing some weight would help reveal muscle definition, and have been cutting calories to do so. I am at 125 now, but would like to get down to 115-120 (which is a healthy BMI for my height). I am being 100% healthy about my approach, making sure to eat over 1200 calories a day (I'm at a 1290 deficit), but I have people who don't understand my goals and have even mocked me for trying to be 'too skinny'. Unfortunately, I'm not trying to be overly skinny, I just want the final fat areas in my arms to lean out, and there's no other way around. I am just bummed that people are taking my goals the wrong way.

Replies

• dictations
    Options
    Me too, I'm skinny fat and I'm gonna start toning up.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    We got this! :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think what you need to do is add some muscle as opposed to burn more fat.

Seen Staci? http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Borrowing from engineman's post earlier today...
    on the left she's 131 lbs. on the right she's 142, 11lbs heavier.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-92311-AM.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    You are basically saying you only have 5-10 pounds you want to lose but you only see it in your arms? Start lifting heavy weights and eating at your maint. calories. Those small pockets of fat will go away and you'll look lean instead of sick thin.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Muscle is sexy. The end.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    A 1290 calorie deficit is just going to burn muscle and make the "skinny fatness" worse! If any thing your deficit should be 200-300 calories.

BUT I agree w/ Taso. Add muscle. This means eating above maintenance for a while and lifting HEAVY.
  • dictations
    Options
    We got this! :)

YUP! :D
    I'm starting the 30 Day Shred w/ 5 lb weights on Monday, so excited!

Hopefully the weight training will also get rid of the 4lb of water weight on my stomach.
  • dawLs
    dawLs Posts: 84
    Options
    im in the same boat. i'm 5"7 and am 126lbs but am skinny fat. im not looking to lose- i just want to tone up! im small but its all jiggly! i on my second day of the shred and have been doing pilates which i find to be waaaay more challenging! i always like new friends so please feel free to add me :)
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting these links. I'm halfway to my goal weight, but now I'm wondering how much I should really weigh... and at what point I may start losing muscle vs fat. Hmmm, I thought I had this eating/fitness thing figured out, maybe not. Ultimately I just want my clothes to fit well, have enough muscle to help me gain PRs in triathlons/run races, and I would LOVE to have well defined abs (can women call it a six-pack too?).
  • RenCara
    RenCara Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Same with me... just want to stay focused and get toned.
  • cswearingen
    cswearingen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have toned my arms and back pretty good, just trying to burn the fat on the hips and thighs now...
    I'm 5'5" also and weigh 140, tummy bloat is driving me CRAZY! would like to drop another 5 or 10...it NEVER ends!!
    STick with it...be STRONG! (literally)
  • maryloo2011
    Options
    Lift weights and lift heavvvvy. Of course you know that you can't spot reduce (arms) though, right?
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    Okay ladies, here's the deal. If you are thin but still jiggle its not because you have to much fat, its because there isn't enough muscle. I am also 5'5" and do remember being 120ish not that long ago but I was by no means skinny. You could NOT see my ribs or any other bones but you COULD see my muscles, especially my guns. I ate nonstop but worked out almost as much. I do want you to be prepared that you may even gain weight but that's okay. Its not the number, its the sexy lil you standing in front of the mirror and as the gentleman said " muscles are sexy".
  • SeaStar
    Options
    I do work out and lift heavy for my whole body... my arms are just the last place that holds fat. I know I can't spot reduce that is why I am working on losing overall body fat while exercising.
  • SeaStar
    Options
    When I had my body fat calculated with calipers, it was lean on my stomach and biceps, however my triceps were still high. No other way around that other than losing more body fat. I know that as long as I am working out my arms it will build the muscle which will help me burn fat faster too. I understand the science, I am only wondering who else is going through the last little refining to feel 100% proportionate and confident.
  • Gioooo
    Gioooo Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just started IF. Intermittent fasting. Alot of people are against it but its because they're uninformed. check it out .
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    You look quite lean in your photos- arms too! There's a group on here called "not that heavy girls" who are near or at goal weight and just looking to get lean and toned if you want to join!
  • SeaStar
    Options
    That fasting looks pretty intense! I'm not too worried about needing a new way to lose weight. The calorie counting has done me well so far in losing nine pounds already and I am happy eating all throughout the day every day.

Thanks for sharing
  • SeaStar
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't know there were groups on here, I will definitely check that out.. just what I needed :)