Thai curries, which is healthiest ??

Options
Hi,

Having a thai with my girlies tonight, fancy a curry but was wondering if anyone knows which is the healthiest and has the least calories?

Red, green or yellow?

I am vegetarian so it will be a vegetable curry

Or if there are any other veggie dishes any one can suggest? I had tofu once in a thai restaurant but I am sure it was deep fried

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I LOVE THAI CURRIES.

That's all I have to add :P Sorry. I don't really know which one is healthiest, but I am jealous you get to go get curry. I think I'd eat it every day if I could.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd search them all in the food database keeping in mind you won't know the exact calories as I'm sure their preparation varies greatly between restaurants. Have fun! I LOVE curry. A local place has pineapple curry that is SOOO tasty.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I'm posting because I'm interested to hear an educated reply. I have no idea. I just know that I love them, all of them!

They all have coconut milk in them, I believe. I have never made one from scratch - just consumed them in restaurants and in bottled form from Trader Joe's. Coconut milk has many health benefits.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    yeah think I'll have to look them all up in the database, though I have been cleaning windows, dusting and hooving all afternoon so that means I deserve a treat and shouldn't worry and just go for it lol!! My mouth is watering now just thinking about it :-)
  • alulacheery
    alulacheery Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I love a treat day and I can't imagine there is a great variety in calories as the main differences between those curries is the veggies added and the spices used, those alterations shouldn;t make massive calorie differences. It's how they are prepared that will be the main factor! Mmm Coconut milk!

What I can recommend for those wanting a nice tasting, easy Thai at home is (per person), 1 chicken breast, 30g light philadelphia with sweet chilli, a splash of milk, half an onion, half a red pepper, some stringy green beans, a tablespoon or so of your favourite thai curry paste (i buy a good quality ready made one from the supermarket) and your rice portion.

Brown the chicken in a pan (avoid using oil if you can), add the curry paste, add the veggies, add the philly, It's's quite thick at this point so add milk to your preference or even some water if you like a thin curry, then simmer for about 7 mins. Easiest thing ever, quick and totally gorgeous. I've got the whole thing down to 12 minutes start to finish!

Total calories with rice according to MFP 384, the better quality the curry paste the better the curry and it's a staple in my diet!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I love a treat day and I can't imagine there is a great variety in calories as the main differences between those curries is the veggies added and the spices used, those alterations shouldn;t make massive calorie differences. It's how they are prepared that will be the main factor! Mmm Coconut milk!

What I can recommend for those wanting a nice tasting, easy Thai at home is (per person), 1 chicken breast, 30g light philadelphia with sweet chilli, a splash of milk, half an onion, half a red pepper, some stringy green beans, a tablespoon or so of your favourite thai curry paste (i buy a good quality ready made one from the supermarket) and your rice portion.

Brown the chicken in a pan (avoid using oil if you can), add the curry paste, add the veggies, add the philly, It's's quite thick at this point so add milk to your preference or even some water if you like a thin curry, then simmer for about 7 mins. Easiest thing ever, quick and totally gorgeous. I've got the whole thing down to 12 minutes start to finish!

Total calories with rice according to MFP 384, the better quality the curry paste the better the curry and it's a staple in my diet!

ooh thanks for this - I saw that on the Philly advert (in the UK - not sure if you are in the UK too?) and did think it would taste horrible using philly in a curry, but I'm gunna try it now :-)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Green, red and yellow all have coconut milk in them, the difference is in the spicing and heat. I think some places sell a jungle curry which doesn't seem as rich - but it's often pretty hot and not as nice as the coconut ones.

I think a veg curry with steamed rice isn't too bad - especially if you avoid all the deep-fried starter things.

Pad Thai is an alternative, but possibly not that much different in cals / fat.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Probably all will be about the same. Might see if the kitchen will use "light" coconut milk for you and save a little fat.

Personal favorite is red though. Red curry is clearly superior.