Can the scale give you a false low reading?

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Dehydration may cause a lower than normal reading. But you will notice other symptoms of that, like a severe headache, dry skin, etc. If you feel healthy and normal, then you're probably just having a great weigh in.

It's possible your weight may go up a little next week or stagnate a bit, but that's normal.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    While this is true that you do lose water through sweat, IME it's rarely significant, especially considering you retain water due to the muscle stimulation. I frequently weight more after a workout than I do before.

Curious to see what others have to say about this.

Sheesh - I must sweat like a crazy hose beast! LOL In the summer, if I go for a 60-90 minute walk/jog/hike on a hot summer day, I always lose anywhere from 4-8 pounds. It can't be fat loss, so it has to be the water I sweated out.

In my experience, weight loss from sweating can be VERY significant.

you are not alone. I am well into a healthy weight range and I still fluctuate 3-8 lbs from an hour+ of working out, even at room temp( gym) or in freezing or sub freezing weather when running outside.

but I also flux up to 10 lbs ( average is 4-5 lbs) between bed time and morning after taking a leak.... figure that one out.
  • minadeathclutch
    minadeathclutch Posts: 375 Member
    it can do as you can lose water. If you weigh yourself before and after a heavy workout, then the scale can change from loss of water through sweat. But this would only be water, not fat, so it would go back up again when hydrated.

While this is true that you do lose water through sweat, IME it's rarely significant, especially considering you retain water due to the muscle stimulation. I frequently weight more after a workout than I do before.

I also weigh a LOT more after a workout.. 3-4 lbs more!
  • If it is digital, it can give false readings if your battery is wearing out.

Quoted for truth, I've had this happen on my digital scale several times! New batteries always brings it back to normal.
  • it can do as you can lose water. If you weigh yourself before and after a heavy workout, then the scale can change from loss of water through sweat. But this would only be water, not fat, so it would go back up again when hydrated.

I sweat pretty heavily, so it's not uncommon for me to lose up to 2-3 lbs after a strenuous workout even if I drink water while I'm at it.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    While all these things are true, there is one more explanation..... You could have totally rocked it this week!

Probably true ;)

I certainly would like to THINK this is the case.

Thanks for all the input!

I'm well hydrated, and weigh the same time of day every time usually after a normal workout.
    The scale is level, and the batteries are relatively fresh. I'll have to remember to check the calibration.

I'll take it as a good loss for this week! I was just interested to know.

Thanks everyone!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    it can do as you can lose water. If you weigh yourself before and after a heavy workout, then the scale can change from loss of water through sweat. But this would only be water, not fat, so it would go back up again when hydrated.

I also weigh a LOT more after a workout.. 3-4 lbs more!

This is going to be a result of eating and drinking following your workout. Weigh yourself *right* after (and assuming you sweat while you work out as most do) you will weight less, albeit if you don't sweat much it won't be much less.
  • doublezizzle
    doublezizzle Posts: 42 Member
    To check the calibration of a digital scale, I put one of my 20 lb weights on it to see what the scale is actually reading.
    [/quote]

great idea! why didn't i think of that?? so simple :)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I guess...I have done the 20# weights to check the scale, and it calibrates correctly.

I can weigh myself before I go in for a doctor's visit, and it gives me one number, then when I get weighed at the office (less than an hour later), it gives me a number 10 pounds higher! OH it's maddening! Mainly because my doctor gives me the "you really need to lose weight talk"
  • very good post. I look forward to reading more. Cheers.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    After a heavy workout once you have depleted your glycogen from your muscles and if you havent had anything in your system...maybe!

My body fluctuates up to 5lbs a day.

Measure yourself and hide the scale except once a month.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Yes, if you're really dehydrated.
    For example, if it was a hot summer day, you sweated a lot but didn't drink much water, the day after you might see a lower number on the scale.
  • While this is true that you do lose water through sweat, IME it's rarely significant, especially considering you retain water due to the muscle stimulation. I frequently weight more after a workout than I do before.

I actually stopped weighing myself after my workout because I weigh more.

I just try to keep it to once a week, same time in morning BEFORE breakfast, and totally naked. Then my weight will be as low as possible! lmao. Call me crazy, but it make me feel better ;)

[/quote]

lol I do the same...but I weigh every morning
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member

My scales show a loss of about 3lb after Ive had a heavy horse riding lesson. Wish it was that easy!!
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    IMO the real scale is the mirror. The scale can drive one crazy. I learned that when i first began dieting and exercising.

:Like this !!
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Dehydration maybe.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member

I too gain after a workout.

In all reality the best time to weigh is first thing when you wake up, after you void and before you drink anything. That is the best wt to go with.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    A scale cannot say you have less actual mass than you do. What is more likely is that the higher weight is due to actual fluid/stomach contents etc.

If you are really truly 50kg of body mass for example a scale could not say you are 48kg. But it could say you are 51-52 if you are retaining fluids etc.

Not sure that reads very clearly!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member

I usually weigh about the same after a work out as well. I know in the past I have had days where I have gained 3 pounds overnight due to water retention from working out.

My guess is that it is a legitimate reading, assuming you weigh in at the same time, in the same situation.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    IMO the real scale is the mirror. The scale can drive one crazy. I learned that when i first began dieting and exercising.

:Like this !!

Agreed, I rarely weigh myself. I focus more on measurements, how my clothes fit and how I look in the mirror. I'm working on getting a 6 pack, not weighing nothing!