Running Stretches

Options
I really want to start running more..... I have worked up to running a mile at a time and I was doing it a few times a week, but it hurts my calf muscles soo bad taht I've cut back to one day of running per week. I stretch a little before, but I don't think I am stretching enough. What are some good calf stretches that I could do to prevent the soreness afterwards. And how long should I be stretching before I run? Sometimes, they will hurt so bad that it's hard to walk. I mean not a good hurt like I got a good workout, but a hurt that just feels like I'm doing something wrong.

Replies

• Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    I really want to start running more..... I have worked up to running a mile at a time and I was doing it a few times a week, but it hurts my calf muscles soo bad taht I've cut back to one day of running per week. I stretch a little before, but I don't think I am stretching enough. What are some good calf stretches that I could do to prevent the soreness afterwards. And how long should I be stretching before I run? Sometimes, they will hurt so bad that it's hard to walk. I mean not a good hurt like I got a good workout, but a hurt that just feels like I'm doing something wrong.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if you're already stretching, then you probably have form issues or a strain. You may have slightly strained the muscle, and if you have, you need to rest it. It could also be from dehydration or inadequate mineral consumption. The calf needs calcium and magnesium to stay loose and working properly. Make sure you drink your water, and also, try to have some kind of electrolyte and mineral suppliment daily so that you are sure it isn't an imbalance.
  • Philde04
    Options
    if you're already stretching, then you probably have form issues or a strain. You may have slightly strained the muscle, and if you have, you need to rest it. It could also be from dehydration or inadequate mineral consumption. The calf needs calcium and magnesium to stay loose and working properly. Make sure you drink your water, and also, try to have some kind of electrolyte and mineral suppliment daily so that you are sure it isn't an imbalance.
    Ok, thanks!! I do struggle some days with my water intake, so maybe that is part of it. I thought that I may have a strain or something so I did take a couple of weeks off from running and just did the elliptical (no impact). I do p90x also and there are some impact excerises involved with that (not as high as running though) and that never seems to make my calves hurt.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks!! I do struggle some days with my water intake, so maybe that is part of it. I thought that I may have a strain or something so I did take a couple of weeks off from running and just did the elliptical (no impact). I do p90x also and there are some impact excerises involved with that (not as high as running though) and that never seems to make my calves hurt.

calf muscle doesn't care about impact (within reason), in fact, very few muscles care about impact very much, it's the connective tissues, bones, cartilage, and the ligaments that care about impact. If you strained your calf, you need to not use it in physical activity for a while, that means the elliptical too. Swimming, upper body work...etc. is all fine, but anything that involves elongating the calf is going to exacerbate the issue.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My husband has a lot of problems with his calf muscels when running. There were several things that changed before and after his runs and now he does not have that problem.

1. Went and got fitted for shoes that match his stride type and pronation level.
    2. Bought a muscle roller bar that helps get knots out after your run and shower. (~$20)
    3. Ate more protein immediatly after a run ( Turkey is great for that).
    4. Do a 15-20min Yoga routine for stretching before a run.

I hope this helps.
  • Philde04
    Options

calf muscle doesn't care about impact (within reason), in fact, very few muscles care about impact very much, it's the connective tissues, bones, cartilage, and the ligaments that care about impact. If you strained your calf, you need to not use it in physical activity for a while, that means the elliptical too. Swimming, upper body work...etc. is all fine, but anything that involves elongating the calf is going to exacerbate the issue.

Thank you... you seem very knowledgable and have been a great help!!!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    runners world website also has some online videos that teach you how to stretch
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I take a potassium supplement and drink water. It seems to work, but my pain is cramps.
  • frogprincess007
    frogprincess007 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to be a cross country runner for 6 years. I'm just now getting back into it, so I can give you some helpful stretches that I always do before and after.

For your calves, some good stretches are:
    I always stand on the side of the treadmill and let one of my heels dip below while the opposite leg's knees bends to give a little bit. I do both sides and count to ten.
    Another good one to prevent shin splits is to tap your foot rapidly for a count of ten in front of you, then to the side and then tap it from front to side, all three you should be counting to ten. I usually do that while I'm stretching my arms, to kill two birds with one stone.
    I also lift my leg up the air, not too far off the ground, hold on to something if you need to, and do figure eights or write my name in the air with my foot. It's just a good way to loosen up everything.

Definitely eat some protein, even if its just a little bit before you run because the protein helps restore the muscles that break down when you're using them and ALWAYS make sure you're drinking plenty of water.

Good luck to you on your quest and keep up the great wok!!!
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Stretching cold muscles isn't a good idea. You should warm up by walking for a few minutes first and then stretch. You may have pulled the muscle slightly if you stretched cold.