Trainer won't let me work on my abs yet :(

Options
Hello. I had a couple of sessions with my trainer and he asked me what I wanted to work on this month. I told him my abs. He flat out said no, either my arms or legs I had to choose. I kind of went back and forth with him because, you know, I paid for him and I know what my problem areas are and I know what I really want to work on but he did not budge. I am really discouraged now. I'm working on my arms and doing cardio but my stomach is still so big like i'm 5 months pregnant.

Is there something in the books that says you can't train your abs first or could this be something he just doesn't want to do with me? Another worker at the gym told me that since i'm paying for this gym membership and this trainer he should work for me and I agree.

Replies

• fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'd like a nicer stomach but I personally feel I have to cut the fat before I can tone it.

I can work on my 'abs' all I want but I won't be able to see them!

It might be he wants to make you stronger and shred some fat. Did you ask him to explain his method?
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, you are paying good money for him to train you and he should at least be giving you jusifiable reasons as to why he won't do what you ask. Although you can't spot reduce so if you're looking for results by working your abs you won't get any until you cut your body fat percentage down enough
  • chickenmcv
    Options
    Until you cut the majority of the fat around your abdominal area, there really isn't any point in doing specific ab training. There are tons of workouts you can do that can develop your abs without you doing any ab-specific workout at all. Things like tricep-pushdowns, squats, dumbbell rows...anything that requires that you brace your body is basically going to engage your abs. Listen to your trainer. Stick with it. He knows what he is talking about and is only trying to help you. I hope this helped!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Until you cut the majority of the fat around your abdominal area, there really isn't any point in doing specific ab training. There are tons of workouts you can do that can develop your abs without you doing any ab-specific workout at all. Things like tricep-pushdowns, squats, dumbbell rows...anything that requires that you brace your body is basically going to engage your abs. Listen to your trainer. Stick with it. He knows what he is talking about and is only trying to help you. I hope this helped!

^^ This.

Here's the thing - you need to do cardio to burn off the fat. Doing arm and leg workouts will give you more immediate, positive results that you can be proud of and will push you to continue your efforts. Doing a bunch of crunches, planks, etc, now, will NOT give you the results you want. You need to burn the fat off, slim down, then work on building up your core. He's trying to put you on a track where you won't feel discouraged at not seeing results and quit.

Listen to him. You're paying him money for a reason. Give it a month. Then ask again.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat, working your abs will just give you stronger ab muscles, but will not reduce the fat above them, so there will not be any viable improvement.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

^^ This.

Here's the thing - you need to do cardio to burn off the fat. Doing arm and leg workouts will give you more immediate, positive results that you can be proud of and will push you to continue your efforts. Doing a bunch of crunches, planks, etc, now, will NOT give you the results you want. You need to burn the fat off, slim down, then work on building up your core. He's trying to put you on a track where you won't feel discouraged at not seeing results and quit.

Listen to him. You're paying him money for a reason. Give it a month. Then ask again.

These people totally nailed your answer.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Its better to cut the fat first, Ive cut mine down to about 13%, been working on the abs for 2 months and I still can't see anything, the fat needs to be down to atleast 10% before you will see any abs coming through so all the cardio will pay off and in no time you will get them abs through
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have a decent trainer there (although I can see the poin that it would be better if she/he explained things). The reason is probably that your pt wants you to work bigger muscle groups than abs and is giving you enough core work as part of the legs workout? Just my hunch.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

^^ This.

All of this...

Fat needs to go first! Otherwise, your ab workouts are useless in respect to visible results.
  • Cueball55
    Cueball55 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Plus, building muscles in general (but especially larger ones like legs and back) will go a long way towards boosting your overall metabolism and fitness.
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say this is very interesting!! My stomach is the place I notice my loss the most. Thanks for the info everyone!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options

^^ This.

These people totally nailed your answer.

Yup. Although, he just should have flat-out explained that to you. If he's not willing to share this sort of basic knowledge, then you may want to find another trainer.
  • SueN113
    Options
    He is right. I trained with my trainer last year for 9 months-no "ab" workouts. I had a tummy tuck 11/29 and my doctor did not have to repair any muscle due to all the work I did in the gym. SO.. yes, everyone here is right... the muscles you use to stabilize your body while doing other lower and upper body exercises as well as cardio are enough while you are still cutting fat.
  • steffiejoe
    steffiejoe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Listen to your trainer. You can not spot reduce. Trust me I use to spend hours on my ab roller thinking I was doing something.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Your body loses fat from head to foot and foot to head. It does not start from the center out...

So burning your arms and legs first is the correct approach. If he did not budge on your request then MONEY WELL SPENT!!!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Yes, while it is true you are paying him, he is doing you a favor, in reality. At some point, if he hasn't aready, he will tell you (hopefully) foods to eat or not to eat to help cut back on fat. Without cutting back on the fat, any ab workouts you do are going to do you no good at all, because you will be creating muscle over fat tissue, therefore never seeing any real results.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I second what everyone else said. Doing ab work will not help you lose belly fat. Your stomach is not going to shrink by focusing on ab work. You need to focus on cardio and building up your large muscle groups. That will burn the fat. Crunches won't.
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why he is flat-out refusing to let you work on your abs, but the old adage about abs being made in the kitchen rather than the gym is very true. If you're trying to flatten your belly, overall cardio work (along with cutting calories) is going to get you there much more effectively than ab work will.

(In fact, at my lowest weight at about this time last year, I was starting to develop a bit of what I would call a "4-pack," and I wasn't doing any ab work whatsoever. Just running, lifting, and cutting calories.)
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can't see why you wouldn't want to have strong core muscles right away. Yes, you may not be able to see them, but they will still be there, helping you prevent injury and avoid back pain. To me, it sounds like your trainer's approach (if it is indeed what the pps explained) is too focused on physical appearance and not on your body's optimal functioning. But I'm no expert . . .
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

^^ This.

All of the above!

I was going to say myself, that you really don't have to work just abs to get a great ab workout.

I haven't isolated abs in at least a month, yet on Tuesday when I did a great workout on squats and deadlifts, I really felt it in my abs the next day. It hurt getting up off the bed / sofa and even hurt a bit when I laughed!
    So with those, you're not only working your core, but you're also getting a great all over body workout, burning calories, and it hits your legs/butt hard too!