Would you have said something?

Options
I'll start by saying, I chose to mind my own business and keep my mouth shut.....

Today in spin class there was a lady next to much wear a HRM. I wear a Polar FT4 --- and I'm not sure what her's was, but I could tell it wasn't a Polar. This lady was probably a bit taller than I (I'm 5'2") and was probably double my weight (I'm 142). She was pretty new to the class but was hanging in there very well! She was keeping up with the hills and jumps. Her face was red and she was sweating and out of breath - it certainly seemed she was pushing herself hard.

However, her HRM didn't seem to be raising much at all. She had the thing set to where it beeped all the time so it was constantly a distraction - which is why I glanced at it occasionally. At some of our max climbs, she barely got into the 130s. At those points, I was in the low 180s. I just got the feeling that her HRM wasn't reading accurately. And, if she's counting calories and her HRM isn't doing it's job, she's at a disadvantage.

Like I said, I ultimately decided to mind my own business --- but I really wanted to ask her about her HRM and try to get into a conversation with her about it ---- hopefully to maybe try to tell her that it seemed really low.

What would you have done in my position?

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I would've done the same as you did, left it alone. Unsolicited advice is rarely taken in the spirit it is intended, and the great disparity in your physical conditions makes it even more likely she could feel offended/embarassed/unhappy.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't have said anything if it was the first time she was there. But if she becomes a regular and you become chatty one day, I would mention it then.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    I would have said something, politely, about the beeping. Otherwise, no.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Agree with both above. If she continues to come to class you could always start the conversation by asking what kind she had, comparing them, etc.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Not knowing her I would have been dying to say something but probably wouldn't have either. I feel sad she's working SO HARD and obviously burning alot more than her HRM is recording. I wonder if her beeps were for a low battery? If you continue to see her and happen to get the golden opportunity to bring it up in conversation maybe you can in the future.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There is a possibility she was on some sort of meds that regulate heart rate. When I was originally diagnosed with my thyroid disease, the docs put me on a beta blocker to regulate my heart rate. At that time, cardio exercise was very difficult for me.

You never know...
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would have left it alone too. Hopefully one day she can figure the dang thing out! It took me awhile to get mine exactly right.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think you'd be doing her a favor to mention it to her. She may be getting discouraged by the low # of calories burned per her HRM (I know I am by mine) and you may actually keep her on track by letting her know that she's probably burning more than she thinks. I would love such advice from someone.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have said anything....because just a few short weeks ago, I was the heavy lady in spin class for the first time! You wouldn't want to run her off on her first visit.
    I would agree with what another poster said: if she attends a few more classes, maybe strike up a conversation about it. Or tell the instructor about the situation and have him/her discuss it. Maybe if it comes from the instructor, it will be taken better.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    The beeping was so annoying!!!! I think it was associated with her heartrate because it would speed up and slow down.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Could you actually see the number? Maybe it was beeping because she was over. I don't think I would have said anything, but they sure is annoying.
  • Pdschurig
    Pdschurig Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Some people are on medications (specifically beta blockers) which by nature keep the heart rate low. I was on these for several years to help treat frequent migraines. While on this medications even with my most rigiours step class, my heart rate would not budge past 110 and I was 210#s and 37. Now that I am off the meds my heart rate climbs and falls normally.
  • swilk627
    Options
    Could you actually see the number? Maybe it was beeping because she was over. I don't think I would have said anything, but they sure is annoying.

Yup, I could see the number ---- She seemed to be in the 110s most of the class with an occasional jump to the low 130s.

I'm still pretty new to spin myself - I'm only about 4 weeks in --- so I still consider myself a newbie!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I don't think I would have mentioned the fact it seemed to be not reading accurately or the consistent beeping, but I might have, out of sheer curiousity, gone to her after class and asked her about it (what was it, what did it do, how did it work, what she was using it for) just for friendly conversation, then maybe make a comment about my own ("oh hey I have something similar! Would you like to see? I really like it", etc) and keep it really at that. Being a complete stranger I don't think it's necessary to get in her business about its function or anything else, but a casual passing might give her thought about another she could try if she doesn't see results with her current one down the road.
  • swilk627
    Options
    There is a possibility she was on some sort of meds that regulate heart rate. When I was originally diagnosed with my thyroid disease, the docs put me on a beta blocker to regulate my heart rate. At that time, cardio exercise was very difficult for me.

You never know...

That crossed my mind and was one of the reasons I ended up not saying anything.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also twice your weight, I think mentioning that you actually noticed her low HR would be a little embarrassing.
    Like all of the others have said, if you get a chance at another class, just casually ask her about it and discuss it too. You may just be able to mentor this woman. It's hard enough to get up the courage to attend a spin class. If she gets offended right off the bat, she might not come back.
    Just my 2 cents.:wink:
  • AlaskanPhoenix
    Options
    I think I might have said something. I'm new to using an HRM, I just got one for Christmas. I used it at a Zumba class for the first time this last week and I was in the 190s for most of it! I imagine a spinning class would be even more intense than that. My "sly" way of starting the conversation would probably have been to ask how she liked the brand, etc, and gone from there. Also, I am envious of your Polar FT4! Mine is a lighter pink, and I still love it, but man do I LOVE the color on that one.
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would've done the same as you did, left it alone. Unsolicited advice is rarely taken in the spirit it is intended, and the great disparity in your physical conditions makes it even more likely she could feel offended/embarassed/unhappy.

Very well said, agreed on all accounts.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have said anything either for the reasons mentioned above but maybe have the instructor privately mention to her to turn the beep off if she comes again? My husband takes heart med's and in lucky if his heart rate gets to the 130's whereas I'm like you cranking away in the 160's during spin (I'm older than you are-if I get to 180 I'm probably about to die!).
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    please mention it...my HRM totally sabotaged all my efforts. I thought i was doing awesome, here my HRM was seriously off, and I had to start over in my weight loss. I agree though, wait until she goes to class a couple of times...be sincere, and just say "look, I know it's none of my business, but I don't think your HRM is working properly"