HRM for around $40

Options
Hello everyone.

I'm looking at purchasing a Heart Rate Monitor for around $40. I want to make sure that it's something I am going to use and like before going all out and buying a decent one. So, does anyone have suggestions, recommendations, or thoughts?

Thanks!

Replies

• 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Gotmy polar ft4 on amazon for 50. Its the mens version but has a woman option... I was told its just a little blkier than the womans version but it doesnt bother me at all :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started with a lower priced model for the same reason - but they aren't cheap, and I bought a watch-only version on clearance at Target for about $27 last year. I quickly realized it wasn't as accurate as the more expensive chest strap versions are because you have to manually take your heart rate during the workout. It didn't always read right away, forcing a slow down of the workout, you have to take it often to get any sort of accuracy, and of course since it's not reading your heart rate the entire time like a chest strap version does.

So I kept looking around. Search the boards here for HRM and/or heart rate monitor and read the heaps of info posted about different brands, different prices, likes and dislikes. Narrow your search to two or three models, then look them up on Amazon & read the user reviews for each model there (super helpful!). Then go to eBay and look for auctions for brand new items and wait for a good price. I got my New Balance N4 for $26 - less than what I paid for a watch only! :grumble: It works great, and I saved a bunch over the retail price of $70.00.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Good luck. For a good HRM you'll have to spend more than that unless you buy one used. Try Amazon or Craigslist.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The thing with HRMs.. you get what you pay for. I would save up some more money and get a Polar with a chest strap.