Ex diet soda drinkers...

Options
Anybody that used to drink diet soda at the begining of their weight loss journey, and then stopped completely at some point during their journey, did you notice any difference in the amount of weight you would lose at any given time?

I keep hearing all the reasons diet soda is bad, it tricks your body, it make you want to make up those calories in other ways, artificial sweeteners cause cancer....etc.

I'm just wondering, since I still drink my 1-2 cans of diet soda (diet pepsi, diet a&w root beer, diet rite, etc) per day.......and am almost always under my calorie goal, do you think that it would really change my weight loss it I were to cut out those 1-2 cans a day and still keep with my calorie counting...? I can do it......but it's one of my 'addictions' and I've given up so many others, I don't know if I'm ready yet...... I guess I'm looking for somebody to give me the benefits of cutting it out all together.

Sorry for all of the rambling....be glad you aren't standing here in person and me asking you the same thing.....I have a strange way of confusing people with the simplest of questions LOL

Replies

• Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I used to drink 8-10 cans a day. I'm down to 1-2. I didn't notice a lot of change directly from that but I did indirectly. Less soda made me feel mire energetic once past the caffeine withdrawal stage. It also made my stomach feel lighter and boosted my self esteem. Soda, diet or not, has a lot of sodium, which retains water as well. I think, in my opinion only, that if you can give it up, go for it, but don't make yourself miserable if you're already in moderation with it.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    thing to remember not are calories are created equal, so even though you may be under you goal you could be utilizing those calories much more efficiently which will only help your body out more, if you ever decide to quit soda, there are other "sweet" drinks you can have that are much better for you, those 5 cal crystal light sugar free drink packets , scivation Xtend, etc..
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 6 cans a day while trying to lose weight, then gave it up completely about a month ago...though cant say it's contributed to any real weight loss, it has meant that my water brake has increased effortlessly, I am less hungry and now don't even miss it! Generally it gives me a well-being feeling, and more energy...
  • rejs1170
    rejs1170 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think you have nothing to worry about if you are drinking 1-2 cans per day, as long as you are enjoying them, and as long as you are not one of the people who react adversly to the addititives

I have cut out diet soda's at this point, and I think it is helping me reduce the cravings, but I was drinking 8 cans per day, and doing it between meals, and always had a strong urge to eat afterwards (yes I became one of those dreaded people who ate a chocolate bar with a diet soda!).

I am thinking of starting drinking them again, though as a substitute for beer (which is my major source of empty calories) and only with a meal.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No difference for me after many months so I kept drinking.
  • strandedj
    Options
    I ran out of soda yesterday, so I figured I'd try going without my diet soda since it sounds like it wasn't good for me. I always thought that since it was diet it wasn't a big deal. So far so good since I have been starting to drink the "required" 8 waters a day. I am also using the crystal light packets and like them. I am only in my first week here though, so no real advice to give yet! Good luck on your journey!
  • subzerolv
    subzerolv Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I quit diet sodas completely mostly because of the ingredients. Aspartame being the ugliest. All kinds of potential health related issues. There's a reason why it's original form (NutraSweet) was pulled from the market.

I'm also a diabetic, so I have other incentives to cut out the artificial sweeteners as well.
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I switched to caffeine free diet coke/pepsi and limit myself to one a day. I think it helps with cravings...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Anybody that used to drink diet soda at the begining of their weight loss journey, and then stopped completely at some point during their journey, did you notice any difference in the amount of weight you would lose at any given time?

I keep hearing all the reasons diet soda is bad, it tricks your body, it make you want to make up those calories in other ways, artificial sweeteners cause cancer....etc.

I'm just wondering, since I still drink my 1-2 cans of diet soda (diet pepsi, diet a&w root beer, diet rite, etc) per day.......and am almost always under my calorie goal, do you think that it would really change my weight loss it I were to cut out those 1-2 cans a day and still keep with my calorie counting...? I can do it......but it's one of my 'addictions' and I've given up so many others, I don't know if I'm ready yet...... I guess I'm looking for somebody to give me the benefits of cutting it out all together.

Sorry for all of the rambling....be glad you aren't standing here in person and me asking you the same thing.....I have a strange way of confusing people with the simplest of questions LOL

It didn't affect me at all and I missed having it so I drink it again. Your mileage may vary.
  • maidentl
    Options
    Soda, diet or not, has a lot of sodium, which retains water as well.

No, it doesn't. This 20 oz bottle I am drinking has 70 mg.
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I quit because of all of the ingredients- nothing beneficial in them and just not good for you. I drink only water and almond milk. I do not miss it like I thought I would, but I do occasionally want a sip of a regular soda, just to remember I do not really want one!! Caramel Coloring is not that good for you either....
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 6+ Diet Cokes everyday. I never drank ANY water. However, I completely cut out soda and all I drink now is plain water. At first it tasted really bad to me, but now I don't like or crave soda at all. (I don't like tea, milk, coffee, etc. so I just drink water) It has been beneficial to me because drinking the Diet Coke made me crave more sugary things and I already have a horrible sweet tooth as it is, so it has helped with those cravings as well as me having more energy.
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I usually have a glass a day of diet rootbeer or sprite zero. Other than that I drink water. No change, but it helps with "sweet tooth" craving.
  • kiki41
    Options

if you throw back several a day and pair it with a salty meal, it adds up. Sodium also exacerbates thirst
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Eighty-two Coke Zero soaked pounds lost so far. :bigsmile: I have no intention of becoming an ex-diet soda drinker.

If there are no calories, it cannot make you gain weight. This is a fact.
  • kiki41
    Options
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

if you throw back several a day and pair it with a salty meal, it adds up. Sodium also exacerbates thirst

Yes, the salty meal would be the culprit though.

Math, FTW.
    70/2500=0.028=2.8% Getting less than 3% of your daily sodium intake from a soda does NOT qualify soda to be labeled as "high sodium"
  • maidentl
    Options

Not to be rude, but what's your point? I don't throw back several a day and the salty meal would still be salty regardless of the small amount of sodium in the soda I drank with it.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I quit diet sodas completely mostly because of the ingredients. Aspartame being the ugliest. All kinds of potential health related issues. There's a reason why it's original form (NutraSweet) was pulled from the market.

Agreed. After reviewing the available scientific literature, I have stopped giving aspartame by the truckload to my pet rat.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    Options

Agreed. After reviewing the available scientific literature, I have stopped giving aspartame by the truckload to my pet rat.

I have also cut back from consuming more than my body weight in aspartame every day.