Breakfast Versus-- Weigh in!

Options
I'm new at eating right and had my very first bowl of oatmeal today. So with that, I have a question I would like an opinion on...

Which is better Oatmeal with 1/4 cup Granola, made with 1/2 cup 2% milk (320 cal) versus 2 eggs, 3 strips bacon and glass of OJ (330 cal)?

Weight lost so far: 14.4lbs (since Jan 12th)
Goal: More protein, less carbs BUT I am a RN, so I wake up at 0400, eat BF at 0445, and don't get to eat lunch til 1230-1300-ish. I need something sustaining too. No time to munch and I frequently forget a snack in the AM.

Help!
Jen

Replies

• msbrownbeauty87
    msbrownbeauty87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    depending on your body, the oatmeal will hold you over longer, which in your case matters. As well you have to look at carbs and sugar intake.
  • jennifercreighton
    Options
    Right. I dont want to do carbs at all except simple sugars. I cold turkey'd carbs Jan 13th and Dropped 15 lbs last month. I think it works for me but I am trying to try new things. Perhaps I could make it a twice a week thing, rather than a daily endeavor. I just worry that the eggs are killing my cholesterol intake. Hard to find a balance!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Eggs do not have a negative impact on cholesterol.

That said, the better breakfast is the one you prefer. I find protein based meals (bacon and eggs) keep me satisfied longer, but some people prefer high fiber (oatmeal)meals.

Curious about one thing, why would you spend so many calories on OJ? It's so high in sugar, and drinking your calories does nothing for lasting fullness. I do not spend any calories on beverages, unless they contain alcohol :wink:
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm new at eating right and had my very first bowl of oatmeal today. So with that, I have a question I would like an opinion on...

Which is better Oatmeal with 1/4 cup Granola, made with 1/2 cup 2% milk (320 cal) versus 2 eggs, 3 strips bacon and glass of OJ (330 cal)?

Weight lost so far: 14.4lbs (since Jan 12th)
    Goal: More protein, less carbs BUT I am a RN, so I wake up at 0400, eat BF at 0445, and don't get to eat lunch til 1230-1300-ish. I need something sustaining too. No time to munch and I frequently forget a snack in the AM.

Help!
    Jen

Whichever one you can stick with. However, since you stated more protein, I would go with the eggs, bacon, drop the OJ and drink the milk. Lots of good stuff in that.
  • jennifercreighton
    Options
    "Curious about one thing, why would you spend so many calories on OJ? It's so high in sugar, and drinking your calories does nothing for lasting fullness. I do not spend any calories on beverages, unless they contain alcohol."

I drink OJ because I am a nurse (and it may be psychological), but I use it for the immune boost. :) I know, my husband tells me to drink milk instead. He also harps water. :)

I thought eggs do affect cholesterol....
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have scrambled egg and bacon for breakfast every weekday, it keeps me full until lunch, so I don't have to snack on anything in between. I would cut out the OJ, that's a lot of carb calories.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I find that eggs take me through the morning better than oatmeal does. My parents both eat eggs & usually bacon just about every morning for breakfast - have done so for years. They both have excellent cholestoral levels. Some of that may be to genetics (and they are both fairly active for being in their 60's & 70's), but I'm following their examples & eating my eggs just about every day. I throw oatmeal in on the weekends sometimes.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Bacon, Milk. that is LOTS of protein, some carbs, and some fat which is very satiating for me.

actually if I were you I'd eat the eggs and bacon with my coffee, and take my nonfat milk with me (maybe some chocolate in it) and have it right at the begining of my work day, or on the way in to work. That's a nice energy boost + protein RIGHT before you start your shift, then you can be set until lunch hopefully.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "Curious about one thing, why would you spend so many calories on OJ? It's so high in sugar, and drinking your calories does nothing for lasting fullness. I do not spend any calories on beverages, unless they contain alcohol."

I drink OJ because I am a nurse (and it may be psychological), but I use it for the immune boost. :) I know, my husband tells me to drink milk instead. He also harps water. :)

I thought eggs do affect cholesterol....

eggs contain cholesterol, but studies have been done which show that eating them does not increase your blood cholesterol levels. Feel free to eat eggs! I have 2 eggs almost every day, and my cholesterol is perfect :)

Also, the immunity boost that you get from OJ is minimal at best. Adding a multivitamin to your breakfast would do the same thing without calories.

BUT, if you love your OJ, keep it! Just because I prefer not to spend calories on beverages doesn't mean you should feel obligated to do the same. I'm just unwilling to use them up on anything that won't make me feel satisfied, and liquids don't help me feel full.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    It depends on how sugary and processed the granola is. The Glycemic impact in the oatmeal could be pretty high if it's packed with sugar, so that could make you hungry pretty quickly, and send your energy on a rollarcoaster ride. I would always opt for protein over carb-dominance, because I feel fuller for heaps longer on it
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    For me...the egg and bacon would hold longer.. protein keeps you fuller...
  • jennifercreighton
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the weighing in! Everyone made alot of good points. I do believe I will stick to the eggs and bacon. After I had the oatmeal today I felt rundown and sluggish. Carb overload? Hardly had any energy for the treadmill. Perhaps getting rid of the carbs from breads/pastas/etc. really does work better for me.

I also made a deal with my husband to drink milk with breakfast vs. OJ. :smile: He had been a body builder for years and swears that one day I will listen to him.... I just smile and nod.... :wink:

Stay Motivated!!

Jen