first 10K race Sunday week - any tips?

Options
***Hi, I posted this first on a specific running forum and got no response so I am trying on a more general forum. Don't worry, I won't be posting on every MFP forum, just wanted to try asking one more time! Many thanks.***

Hi there, I'm running my first 10K race on Sunday week. I've run the course route before and it is a nice gently undulating run.
As it's my first time out, do any of you more experienced runners have any tips for me? I have upped my long run by degrees to 9 miles. I did a 10K round my local village which has bigger hills and did it a fairly respectable 56.36 minutes. Any advice on runs for the final week, when to ease off, anything that's helped you? Ideally I would like to beat 55 minutes on the day.
Many thanks all!
Flabulous4

Replies

• Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not an experienced runner by any means (have done 1 10k with probably the worst preparation in the world).
    BUT you will run faster on race day than you usually do so your target looks pretty achievable.
    I'd definitely go easy on the running in the few days leading up to the 10K, but listen to your body
  • swtgrl42
    swtgrl42 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    take it easy the week before
    don't do anything different on race day than you have done in training
    don't go out too fast
    have fun

you will do awesome, good luck!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I like to have some seedless grapes in my pocket during races. I get parched when I run, but I don't want to deal with carrying a water bottle, plus it's a lot easier to pop a grape in your mouth than take a sip from a bottle. I'll either spill it up my nose and down my neck, or bang my teeth on it if it's a sippy cup type of bottle.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like to have some seedless grapes in my pocket during races. I get parched when I run, but I don't want to deal with carrying a water bottle, plus it's a lot easier to pop a grape in your mouth than take a sip from a bottle. I'll either spill it up my nose and down my neck, or bang my teeth on it if it's a sippy cup type of bottle.

Great idea!!!!

I'm getting ready to do my 1st 10k in April and I wanted to wish you goo luck! I agree with what the previous posters have said...you've got it, just do what you've been doing in training!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Don't. Change. A. Thing.

Keep to what worked for you during your training. No new clothes. No new food. No new nothing.

Oh, yeah ... take water from the youngest volunteer out there. Water just tastes better when handed to you by a 4 or 5 year old.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    drink lots of water the days before the race
    don't run after weds/Thurs latest
    be careful how much caffeine you have on the morning of the race
    HAVE FUN! enjoy it, it's not a competition, take it all in and really experience it

and definitely agree to not change things like clothes shoes food - just do the same as you normally do.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    don't do anything new race day. Only wear clothing and eat foods that you have trained with. Get plenty of sleep, eat well the night before, but again nothing new or heavy. But most of all have fun, you trained for the race to enjoy it.
  • cjkdlk64
    Options
    WOW impressive.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My first one is a month away, so no advice, but very good luck!

I've been following the Hal Higdon 10k, and he suggests running shorter distances (2 or 3 miles) in the last week before, with rest days the two days before the race.

Best of luck. I bet you'll be brilliant!
  • beverlywu
    beverlywu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're decently prepared - you'll be fine.

Stick to the pace you've prepared for yourself, even if everybody else takes off super quickly at the start. You'll be passing a bunch of out of breath walkers around the 2k mark :). If you're feeling good at the 8K mark, challenge yourself to step it up a notch, and up it again at 9 km. Don't be afraid to sprint once you see the finish line! I think you can definitely hit your 55 minute goal.

Take it easy (light exercise only, if any) and eat well a couple days before the race - mini taper - you want your muscles to be well nourished and rested.

Good luck :)
  • smzamors
    Options
    How exciting to run a 10k! It will be hard but really fun, and I guarantee you will be very proud of your accomplishment when you cross that finish line!

While it's late for a Sunday race, for future races, I'd like to suggest a great website to learn about running training programs: halhigdon.com. These free training programs are considered the gold standard for runners (or in my case, s-l-o-w runners). From the Home page, go to the Training tab at the top > pick your race distance > 10k > pick your training level (novice). It will give you some good information, and at the bottom of the page is a (free) training program that will get you to race day in good shape without killing yourself.

I've used his training programs for several races, including the Chicago Marathon. I loved the simplicty of just following the amount of running he says to do each day. I didn't have to think about it or calculate anything. Make sure to rest on your off days so you don't burn yourself out.

Have an awesome time--and who knows? Perhaps a great running future is in store for you. All the best!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, feeling more confident now thanks to your advice! I'll let you know how it goes :wink: