How am I going to eat all my calories?!

Options
So let me start by saying I am definitely not starving myself or making myself sick. I have just eaten very healthy.

Both my breakfast and lunch are under 400 calories a piece. Egg Beaters-1 slice of ham-1 pinch of mozz cheese, and tomato for breakfast with an 8oz serving of Diet Cran-grape. Lunch was a salad with 1/4 cheese-2tsp of dressing-cherry tomatos and a pouch of tuna. I have 1700 calories left to eat for the day!!! WTF?? I can't eat that much and dinner is going to be homemade chili--bison-reduced sodium tomato soup-chili powder and 1 can bush's baking beans, but that's for the entire family receipe. If I eat 1/2 a bowl I'm doing good.

I'm afraid of sending my body into starvation mode, but thanks to Spin this morning and a 30 minute run I have planned for later (I'm training for my 1st 5k next month) I just might do that. OH and to top it all off I had to pick up a part time job where I am constantly at a 2.5 pace. So on the days that I work both jobs I'm burning a TON of calories and I don't eat anywhere NEAR all that....

Any suggestions? :grumble:

Replies

• llmgold11
    llmgold11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So let me start by saying I am definitely not starving myself or making myself sick. I have just eaten very healthy.

Both my breakfast and lunch are under 400 calories a piece. Egg Beaters-1 slice of ham-1 pinch of mozz cheese, and tomato for breakfast with an 8oz serving of Diet Cran-grape. Lunch was a salad with 1/4 cheese-2tsp of dressing-cherry tomatos and a pouch of tuna. I have 1700 calories left to eat for the day!!! WTF?? I can't eat that much and dinner is going to be homemade chili--bison-reduced sodium tomato soup-chili powder and 1 can bush's baking beans, but that's for the entire family receipe. If I eat 1/2 a bowl I'm doing good.

I'm afraid of sending my body into starvation mode, but thanks to Spin this morning and a 30 minute run I have planned for later (I'm training for my 1st 5k next month) I just might do that. OH and to top it all off I had to pick up a part time job where I am constantly at a 2.5 pace. So on the days that I work both jobs I'm burning a TON of calories and I don't eat anywhere NEAR all that....

• Roxy34
    Roxy34 Posts: 146
    Options
    First of all......LUCKY!! LOL! I can't seem to stay UNDER mine. Eeeek! Are you opposed to eating foods that are HIGHER in calories? Maybe pick up an extra snack or two into your day?
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    throw in some snacks during the day, higher calorie ones, like almonds, peanut butter, etc. It helps with calories without adding too much volume.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    So do less exercise. :smile:

Sometimes it's really as simple as that. Don't go to Spin anymore, or don't go on the run.

Also, there's nothing wrong with eating higher calorie and nutrient rich foods like peanut butter or steak.
  • angyltears
    Options
    What about adding some almonds or other nuts (if you're not allergic)? I keep a little baggy with me for energy after work outs and to munch on when I want something crunchy. Maybe adding little healthy snacks through the day might help.
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You could try drinking more calories with milk, juice (V8 fusion is pretty good) and other healthier (non-soda and super sugary junk) drinks.

Sorry, I thought really hard and that's all I could come up with. :tongue:

But I have noticed when I go way under my calories one or two days in a row because I'm just not hungry I end up over eating a few days later. I guess it builds? So I wouldn't worry too much about one or two days of under eating if you make up for it a little later.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I seldom eat my exercize calories. But I do make sure to consume at least 1200 of my required 1320. And most of the time, my breakfast comes in at 325 to 350 calories.
    One good snack for getting in calories but still being good to your heart is nuts. I keep almonds, walnuts or pistacios around - it helps.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Do you eat fruit? You could incorporate that into your day. Plus you could add yogurt to that. Those will help add a few extra calories and give you nutrients as well.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, yum! Its good for you and has 200 calories per serving. Bananas are another good one.

Personally if I have that many extra calories I don't worry about it. Your body starts to adjust to reduced calorie intake over a prolonged period of time. If its one day it shouldn't matter much, if at all. If you're full, stop eating. If you're doing that much exercise you may want to increase your calorie intake though, for future reference.
  • llmgold11
    Options
    Quit Spin?!?!?! :laugh: Who would suggest such a thing? I'm joking.

I'm finding that adding snacks between meals is causing me to have issues swallowing later in the day. Then I end up skipping dinner. I'm not over eating at lunch or breakfast so it's not like I'm stuffing myself full to get to the next meal.

I just don't know. Gr.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Well, you're not going to send yourself into starvation mode in a single day. But, if this is typical for you, why don't you try upping your calories throughout the day? Like using real eggs instead of egg beaters, and drinking 100% juice with breakfast. Toss some kidney beans into that salad. Eat a couple of snacks, I like to have a banana and some yogurt or a vitamuffin about an hour before I run, it really helps power you through. It's still all good for you food, just more of it.

I find that if I plan my workouts the day before, I can also have a better idea of what I should eat through the day, so I don't have to pack in a ton of calories at dinner.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Ohwow I feel you on this one I am on a 1400 calorie diet, and sometimes I be under , Im not starving myself either, but lately Ill grab a small bag of bake potato chips, eat some fruit or drink water. I do not wnat my body to go into starvation mobe because if it od wateva you eat your body will store it as fat and thats a no no

181273.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I know what you mean. I had the same problem. When I added strength training to my work out, I found I was much hungrier. If you're not already working with weights, maybe try that? Good luck!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options

I'm finding that adding snacks between meals is causing me to have issues swallowing later in the day. Then I end up skipping dinner. I'm not over eating at lunch or breakfast so it's not like I'm stuffing myself full to get to the next meal.

I just don't know. Gr.

What do you mean it causes problems with swallowing? Like, is your throat tight, or is the food getting stuck part way down?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yeah if you have troubles eating enough, you should be using real foods instead of reduced calorie stuff. real cran grape instead of diet. real eggs instead of fake. cook em in butter. peanut butter, nuts, avocadoes.

I'm saying this from a genuine place, not in a critical way- if you cannot eat very much, how did you get to be overweight?
    there is a balance to be achieved between eating unhealthy foods and eating far too little.

if you eat too little, your metabolism will suppress your weight loss. you'll still lose, but the minute more calories become available, your body will do all it can to re-stock the storage compartments.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Send them to me...I'm sure I won't have any trouble figuring out what to do with them!

Sorry, I know that wasn't helpful....but I'm hungry!!! :noway: :grumble: :angry:
  • llmgold11
    Options

I just don't know. Gr.

What do you mean it causes problems with swallowing? Like, is your throat tight, or is the food getting stuck part way down?

Like I'm full and that's it. That's enough. No more. I'm not overly stressed out--Spin and running takes that away. The doctor said I don't have anything wrong with my stomach and my stress tests have come back fine. I just don't get it.
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you find that not eating your exercise calories works? I've just heard so many things about "eat all of your exercise calories"??
  • valw97
    valw97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you find that not eating your exercise calories works? I've just heard so many things about "eat all of your exercise calories"??
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I suggest really looking int what starvation mode is..it does NOT set in that easily....play with the excess calories a bit dont force the food if you are really not hungry your menu seams high in sodium that may be the reason you cant get in much food.