Straight calorie deficit - Is that all?

Options
Let's start with a couple of points to avoid them in your replies:

1) I know eating "clean" leads to other benefits besides weight loss (feeling good, etc)
2) I understand about a balanced diet and that it is obviously better

I am trying to lose weight and I'm mainly focusing on my calories. I am recording what I eat, and although I'm trying to eat BETTER, I'm not eating great. I don't do salads for lunch or oatmeal for breakfast. But I'm cutting down my portions sometimes, and more often than not I'm just making sure I go to the gym every day.

I wanted to ask all of you (since you're all doing the same thing, or have done the same thing), the following question:

As long as you maintain a properly-calculated calorie deficit (meaning not eating ONLY 1000 calories a day, etc) each day, is it possible to keep losing weight?

Could I get myself down to 200 lbs, eat not-awesome, but keep working out almost daily and maintain my weight (if I get there)?

Replies

• wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    if what your asking is can you eat anything you want as long as its in your daily range, the answer is yes!:smile:
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit is 90% of the battle.

Keeping your protein high will help you retain more muscle mass as you lose. It also useful to have a strategy in your back pocket for avoiding/getting over plateaus.

I don't know what you weigh now, but getting to 200 lbs shouldn't be that difficult. To maintain, use the tools you learned to get there, don't go back to doing whatever you were doing that got you fat.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    For Straight weight loss you could eat your calorie deficit with pizza and ice cream and lose weight.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit is 90% of the battle.

Keeping your protein high will help you retain more muscle mass as you lose. It also useful to have a strategy in your back pocket for avoiding/getting over plateaus.

I don't know what you weigh now, but getting to 200 lbs shouldn't be that difficult. To maintain, use the tools you learned to get there, don't go back to doing whatever you were doing that got you fat.

Yes! Hitting macros is important for body comp, but not so much the food choices.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yes it was said:
    calories deficit and macros.
  • morez610
    morez610 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Simple Answer is YES, as long as you stay below your daily caloric limit, you will lose weight. You'll get a lot of complex answers about high protein, high fat, high carbs, etc. - but to sum it all up...having a 200 to 300 daily deficit will lead to weight loss.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    As long as you maintain a properly-calculated calorie deficit (meaning not eating ONLY 1000 calories a day, etc) each day, is it possible to keep losing weight?

Yes. BUT You will sometimes have to re-evaluate it to KEEP it properly calculated.

Like the others have said, it's also important to get the right balance of macro nutrients as well. Hit the weights along with it and you'll be golden.
  • soriadarkstar
    Options
    A professor recently did a study called "the twinkie diet"-- Google it if you're interested. Basically he ate nothing but snack cakes, but ate them at a calorie deficit. He lost over 20 pounds and his cholesterol and other numbers all improved.

So yes, maintaining a calorie deficit is the most important aspect, regardless of how those calories arrive.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes. BUT You will sometimes have to re-evaluate it to KEEP it properly calculated.

^^^maintenance is a moving target
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    yes, I have a bowl of ice cream before bed every night I have calories left.
  • SuzyQq02
    SuzyQq02 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes and no, at least for me.

I've always been able to lose weight, but have always had trouble maintaining, mainly because I didn't spend the time losing learning anything about how to eat. I ate a lot of frozen meals and prepacked stuff (100 cal packs), so everything was preportioned for me and I didn't have to figure it out on my own.

It's also about satiety for me. I can eat certain things that fit within my calories, but I know they won't make me feel full and I'll want to eat again sooner. Making smart choices for me in the first place helps keep me in check.

I still eat things I enjoy that aren't clean or even good for me (my diary includes jelly beans and tortilla chips!), but I watch my portions and fill the rest of my cals with stuff that's going to keep me on track.
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    to loosely quote Jillian Michaels Calories are calories you could eat 5000 calories of tomatoes and 5000 calories of chocolate, the result would still be the same amount of weight gain youd just feel healthier eating the tomatoes.
    I think if you can concentrate on your calorie control and getting those numbers right, then keep making healthier gradual changes to your diet it will all fall into place. and soon you may be working out so much you wont want to put rubbish into your body
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

And I have a bowl of chocolates I eat from :]
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Cals in vs. Cals out however not all calories are created equal and how and when the body will ultilize them
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are strictly going for weight loss.

Check out the documentary "Fat Head".
  • celtsguy81
    celtsguy81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I think thisis awesome. Everyone's answer is really helpful. Thanks. I understand the concept of macros.. I think that may be stage two for me. Right now I'm up at 270. Never been below 235 in my adult life. Hoping to get to 200. I "lift" twice a week, and I play basketball, take a brisk walk, or do elliptical on the other days. I know I'll want to put "good" calories into my body to keep my energy right.

Knowing that someone who is in shape can eat a bowl of ice cream if they still have "budget" for it makes me feel better. I think I'll eventually get sick of doing cardio every day and I'll hopefully have a really good idea of what I can eat to keep me under my budget without the need for exercise that day.

Thanks everyone!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yep, I don't have the most healthy diet and I'm still losing weight. I'm eating a lot healthier than I used to though. I've found a lot of the time I go for healthier things because they usually have less calories per amount of food so it's a sort of unconscious by product. I want to eat more so I pick lower calorie foods.... sometimes. Sometimes I blow half my daily amount on chocolate but hey, I'm human :happy:
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes. It's a straight calorie deficit. I tend to stay on-track a whole lot better, and don't have as many cravings (which lead to eventual binge sessions) if I eat healthy foods, though.