FT4 HRM giving me too many calories???

Options
Hey everyone, I need some help!

I just bought the Polar FT4 heartrate monitor after mulling it over for weeks. I walked on the treadmill at around 3.0 MPH at the highest and could've gone more but it kept saying I was going out of my zone. It got to the point where I kept reducing the pace andI was still out of my zone. I felt fine. After 25 minutes it said i burned 252 calories, MFP says 113 and the treadmill (which has a VERY basic counter) says 127.

What am I doing wrong? I can't imagine my HR was that high and I burned that much.

Replies

• navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    A HRM is the most accurate reading youll get! My says im out of zone too alot but i just make sure im not over my max HR which is 192. if your out of zone it just means your burning more calories!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yeah i wouldnt worry about being out of our zone unless you really feel uncomfortable, dizzy, nauseous etc. i frequently get that message as well bt I think it's because I havent updated my fitness goals on the monitor yet.

When I first got it I set it at weight loss, and for my monitor that seems to want to keep me in zone 1 and zone 2.

as far as the calories burned go, I would go by the HRM. when I record it in MFP, I dont make any adjustments if HRM shows as being over (I guess because I like good surprised on weigh in day :smokin: ) but if MFP gives me much higher calories burned than my HRM, I'll adjust the time in order to keep it somewhat equal.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I turned the sound off. I don't need to know when I'm not at 150, and I'm pretty sure I would be on the floor if I got up to the 190s.

No worries :flowerforyou: Listen to your body and you'llbe good.
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No one thinks that the calories part is weird? I mean, its WAY off. I feel like I wouldn't be so fat if I was really burning that much.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The average burn is usually around 100 cals per 10 minutes. So the calorie burn seems right to me.
  • EuroReady
    Options
    But why would it be so high over Mfp calculations when most people find their calories are so much lower than Mfp once they get a monitor?
  • miss_sarcastic
    Options
    But why would it be so high over Mfp calculations when most people find their calories are so much lower than Mfp once they get a monitor?

Well, if by 'highest' you mean the incline...MFP doesn't account for incline. Higher incline = more calories.

Addendum: I realized you probably meant you didn't go over 3mph, so disregard this, ha ha.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    MFP is a generalized site. I have the same monitor and for Tae Bo - the monitor and MFP are pretty close, but when I'm walking the monitor is much higher. The difference in fat burn is actually very small, so don't worry about unless you get dizzy or faint.

Just like losing weight, we're all different in some way.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    the bigger you are the more cals you burn working out, thats why bigger people lose faster. Dont worry about it
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    because everyone is different :)
    for some things, mfp is higher than my hrm. for some things its lower, and for some its right on.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with my special pedometer that is supposed to tell you how many calories you burn. MFP says for my 15 minute walk in the morning 42 calories, but when I do it with my pedometer it says 71. Because MFP is built for a lot of different people and my pedometer has just myself programmed in it.
  • EuroReady
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. Now i feel a bit better eating some of those calories back!