Excercise on a budget

Options
Okay, my main excercises are walking, and this Tae Bo video (Which doesn't really do much for me because I have NO balance). I don't have a treadmill or any other type of excercise equipment, nor does my house have stairs. There are a lot of days where I can't get out to walk because of rain, or Tornado Watches, stuff like that. So when that kind of thing occurs, what do you find yourselves doing. If like me, you don't have the money to go out and invest in excercise equipment. ALSO, I have no pool, no YMCA, no parks, no schools with tracks, or even blocks with sidewalks around me. Closest is a 30 minute drive. I live out in the country. So if anyone has any similar surroundings, or even if ya don't, what can I do aside from cleaning to burn those calories? Thanks in advance!

ALC

178464.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter

Replies

• Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Okay, my main excercises are walking, and this Tae Bo video (Which doesn't really do much for me because I have NO balance). I don't have a treadmill or any other type of excercise equipment, nor does my house have stairs. There are a lot of days where I can't get out to walk because of rain, or Tornado Watches, stuff like that. So when that kind of thing occurs, what do you find yourselves doing. If like me, you don't have the money to go out and invest in excercise equipment. ALSO, I have no pool, no YMCA, no parks, no schools with tracks, or even blocks with sidewalks around me. Closest is a 30 minute drive. I live out in the country. So if anyone has any similar surroundings, or even if ya don't, what can I do aside from cleaning to burn those calories? Thanks in advance!

ALC

178464.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You live in the country? Walk/run along the road. So long as it isn't a highway you shouldn't have much issue.

When you can't do that, buy an aerobics dvd or two.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    walk..increase pace and time
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Do you have cable? FITTV has all sorts of free exercise shows that are tailored for the home exerciser. Also, I have ON Demand Exercise (also included free in my basic cable package) You can find anything from yoga, pilates, weights, aerobics, etc! Lots of options!
    I also agree with the previos post, get outside whenever you can. Walk or run, whichever you prefer!
    Good luck!!!
    Becky
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I live in a very safe rural area, so I run on the road.

You could also do things at home....squats, lunges, pushups, planks, TONS of ab work, dips, calf raisers, different jumps/plyo stuff.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    You can use your own body for weights. Do squats, lunges, push-ups, sit-ups. They will burn calories and muscle tone.

Also doing things like using a yoga ball as a chair helps work on core body while you sit. Jog in place while you are watching tv.

My boss said he lost weight by doing sit-ups and push-up intermitantly between TV commercials.

Hope this helps.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    running is FREE! get out there and get moving. if you are under a tornado watch, stay in, but if the weather is not threatening your life, then get outside and get moving.

do you have a dog? my dog is the best motivator ever. She loves to run with me, and so if she sees me put on my running shoes, she is ready to GO!
  • Jenners
    Jenners Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If you're going the DVD route, I would definitely invest in Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. It's pretty intense and I've been seeing some good results with it. If you want something longer than 30 minutes, supplement it with Bellydance with Jillina: Shape Up n' Hip Out. It's a fun contrast and seems to work your mid section pretty well.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    A jumprope is a pretty cheap investment.
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    DANCE!!!!:happy: Turn on your favorite music and get jiggy with it!! You may feel a little silly but it can be fun. I find differant songs that I like and create a different dance to each of them. I do it with my 5 yr old and she loves it. Add different moves like lunges, jumping jax and hold some cans to get the extra ufff. Its free and fun and your in you home and no one is watching (unless you have pets)!!!:wink:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Well I am not sure I have any advice, but I just sadly cancelled my gym membership b/c we found out Monday that my hubby is losing his job in a few months. I loved my gym but that 41.00 is better spent somewhere else later down the road. I plan on being outside walking or riding my bike as much as the weather permits and doing some basic strength training with dumbbells at home.
  • beachlvr
    beachlvr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Dancing, also I bought a Hula Hoop ($8) and I "hula" in front of the TV. It 's fun and really works your core! :flowerforyou:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Most libraries have exercise DVD's, so if you have access to one, you might see what they have.