MFP Acronyms!!

Options
kit8kat
kit8kat Posts: 48 Member
I want to start a thread for anyone to give us the meaning behind a lot of the acronyms that are posted on the message board.

I'm hoping this will help loads of people (including me) who post replies asking 'what does MFP mean or NSV or LCD?'

I'll start.....

MFP - My Fitness Pal

LCD - Low Calorie Diet

Not sure NSV means but I'm hoping that someone will enlighten me :bigsmile:

Replies

• Danpellizzari
    Options
    Non scale victory

I just learned this myself!
  • kit8kat
    Options
    Non scale victory

I just learned this myself!

Brilliant! Thank you

Hmmmm can you have a 'non scale victory', and, if so, how does that work?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nsv
    Non Scale Victory

a dieting and weight loss term for noticing your weight loss success off the scale.

A NSV is getting rid of clothes because they are too big.

Shopping in the "regular" stores is a nsv.
  • kit8kat
    Options
    Ahhhh I understand. Thank you for clearing that up. I'm not down with the lingo yet :-)
  • kit8kat
    Options
    Ok....

What does OP stand for and HCG?
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    Ok....

OP = Original poster
    HCG = a complicated sounding hormone which is in pregnant lady pee (and I'm not joking)
  • treetop57
    Options
    OP = Original Poster (the person who started the discussion topic).

KitKat8 is OP for this topic!
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    whats the HCG diet?
  • treetop57
    Options
    Human chorionic gonadotropin or human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) is a glycoprotein hormone produced during pregnancy that is made by the developing embryo after conception and later by the syncytiotrophoblast (part of the placenta).[1][2] Some cancerous tumors produce this hormone; therefore, elevated levels measured when the patient is not pregnant can lead to a cancer diagnosis. However, it is not known whether this production is a contributing cause or an effect of tumorigenesis. The pituitary analog of hCG, known as luteinizing hormone (LH), is produced in the pituitary gland of males and females of all ages.[1][3] As of December 6, 2011 (2011 -12-06)[update], the FDA has prohibited the sale of "homeopathic" and OTC hCG diet products and declared them fraudulent and illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

BTW . . . OTC is "over the counter."

And BTW is "by the way"!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    What does PR mean? It was used in a running related thread
  • dizzydi1968
    Options
    whats the HCG diet?

just my opinion but extreme quack diet!!

You take drops or have injections which contain HCG hormone (present in pregnant womens urine) its supposed to make your body use fat as fuel. You also have to stick to 500 calories per day so IF it does work (and I'm not convinced) then its probably due to the extremely low calorie count.
  • treetop57
    Options
    PR = Personal Record
  • treetop57
    Options
    FDA Consumer Update on HCG diet products: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm
    HCG is a hormone that is produced by the human placenta during pregnancy.

Products that claim to contain HCG are typically marketed in connection with a very low calorie diet, usually one that limits calories to 500 per day. Many of these popular HCG products claim to “reset your metabolism,” change “abnormal eating patterns,” and shave 20-30 pounds in 30-40 days.

“These products are marketed with incredible claims and people think that if they're losing weight, HCG must be working,” says Elizabeth Miller, acting director of FDA’s Division of Non-Prescription Drugs and Health Fraud. “But the data simply does not support this; any loss is from severe calorie restriction. Not from the HCG.”

HCG is approved by FDA as a prescription drug for the treatment of female infertility, and other medical conditions. It is not approved for weight loss. In fact, the prescription drug label notes there “is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or ‘normal’ distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.”

HCG is not approved for OTC sale for any purpose.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    OAN- On Another Note....just picked that up from a pal..SMH
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Options
    OP On point
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about posting a similar topic - I had to Google A LOT just to communicate on here!!

Another one
    TOM - time of month

or
    NROL4W - New Rules of Lifting for Women

I know I've learned a few others but nothing springs to mind at the moment . . .
  • shiningpotential
    Options
    Bump
  • MikeCrazy
    MikeCrazy Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Ok....

OP = Original poster
    HCG = a complicated sounding hormone which is in pregnant lady pee (and I'm not joking)

Also, it's found in men's pee when they have prostate cancer.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Bump

What does that stand for? :laugh:
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    OH or SO - other half, or significant other.