Tanning bed at the gym-

Options
Does it seem odd to anyone else that there are tanning beds at gyms? My gym is a big pusher of their tanning beds/services. They must make money at it as they are constantly pushing.

It seems to me that a place that is so into healthy lifestyles/ fitness, healthy eating, etc would not include something that has proven so dangerous.

Any thoughts on that?
Just curious.

I think they are sending mixed messages. Its okay to be unheatlhy as long as it makes you look good?

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Does it seem odd to anyone else that there are tanning beds at gyms? My gym is a big pusher of their tanning beds/services. They must make money at it as they are constantly pushing.

It seems to me that a place that is so into healthy lifestyles/ fitness, healthy eating, etc would not include something that has proven so dangerous.

Any thoughts on that?
    Just curious.

I think they are sending mixed messages. Its okay to be unheatlhy as long as it makes you look good?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    LOL

I used to call them cancer boxes when I worked at the gym last year. I asked exactly the same thing. Why do I want to spend hours every week to get healthy and then jump into a box of concentrated sunlight to fry my skin off and get cancer before I'm 30?
  • twink3110
    Options
    My husband and I like to visit Florida in the fall and all you need to do is see the sun worshipper running around there that are around my age,(53), to see that in the long run those things not only give you skin cancer but age you horribly!! I guess its like most businesses, if it makes money they go for it.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    there is one at the gym i go to also.. i use spray tanning instead no harm to my skin:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    There was a gym where I lived who had one too. They did it because of the bodybuilders. They made the big bucks. After a while, the bodybuilders realized it was cheaper to paint on the tan.