Eggs

Options
Hi everyone! I know that eggs are a really good idea for breakfast, but I have never really had them and I have this adversity towards eating them. In my mind, I think they are gross. I recently tried a piece of spinach fritatta and I wasn't that impressed.

But, I really want to start incorporating them into my diet. Has anyone been in this position? Can anyone recommend a way to acclimate myself to eating them?

I'd appreciate any advice! I usually have a breakfast sandwich in the morning with ham and cheese, but the sodium is a KILLER.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone wants to friend me, feel free!

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you really don't like something I just wouldn't eat it!

I eat deviled eggs, or put them on a sandwich. Otherwise i hate them
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Make your own breakfast sandwich at home with low sodium ham, and english muffin, low fat cheese. Then add an egg scrambled in a greased dish microwaved for 50 seconds. So delicious. Or make a ham and poached egg grilled cheese sandwich, double delish!

6143704.png
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love egg salad with light miracle whip and dill pickles, and I throw a little horseradish in it to give it some "oomph!" Put it on bread, toast, or just eat it plain.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    If you really don't like something I just wouldn't eat it!

This. There are other alternatives if you don't like eggs.

If you're looking for more protein just have some chicken or other meat product for breakfast. If you're worried about sodium just stay away from deli meats and make your own meat so you can control how much sodium is in it.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I make my breakfast sandwich homemade in about 5 minutes. Grab a microwave safe bowl or mug, spray with pam, crack the egg into it and add salt and pepper. Microwave for about a minute (cover with paper towel). Meanwhile, toast a Thomas' Light English Muffin. If you want canadian bacon or sausage, you can microwave that too. I usually spread the muffin with a triangle of laughing cow french onion or garlic soft cheese (35 calories).
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I really hate the taste of scrambled eggs at home, but when I go to buffets, I love their eggs. I think they make them with powdered egg or liquid egg (ie: eggbeaters). I've found that they taste less 'eggy' and more fluffy.

It's worth a shot. you coulld use your own mold and pour some liquid egg in it and use that to make your breakfast sandwich in the morning. :)

Hope this helps!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, perhaps? The sodium count goes down a TON when you just eat the whites. But, if you don't like them... then why force yourself? You can find the nutrients elsewhere.
  • mamalade1
    Options
    I realize that in these food poisoning conscious times, this may not fly, but my mom used to make us "orange juliuses" at home. They had a banana, orange juice & a raw egg all zipped up in a blender. They were quite tasty. We did,however, have our own chickens, so the eggs were super fresh. Still, if Hollandaise & homemade mayo is OK, I don't see how these could hurt you.

I really like scrambled eggs with avocado and olives. A bit of cheese sometimes as well. And whatever veg I have on hand. Mmmm.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. If you don't really like them there are other sources of protein that are good in the morning. Yogurt and fat free cottage cheese with fruit are great too.

I LOVE eggs! My favorite breakfast is an egg fried over medium (runny yolk, but hard white) on top of a piece of whole wheat toast. I cut up the egg so all they yolk soaks into the bread! Yummm. I found a great nonstick pan for cooking my eggs. I don't need any oil or spray to fry my eggs. Just crack them in the pan and cook. No sticking at all. This is my go to hot breakfast because it's quick and easy.

scrambled is great too. Try it with anything mixed in. I love them with some green chiles and a little jack cheese. Then top with salsa. Put this in a tortilla for a great lo cal breakfast burrito.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about boiled eggs? They are easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, and easy to take with you.

I agree that you don't have to eat them if you don't like them, but they can taste really different depending on how you prepare them. I would experiment a little and see if you like them a different way. Scrambled, fried, boiled, deviled, omelets... lots of possibilities really!
  • Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on why you don't like them. Is it the texture, the taste, the look, etc. When you figure that out, mix things up a bit. For example if you don't like the texture of scrambled eggs, try poaching or frying them. If you don't like the taste, add salsa, veggies, low-fat cheese or cream cheese. Also try spices and herbs that you like with them. If it is the look, try egg beaters or powdered eggs. Do what Julia Roberts did in the move "Runaway Bride" and buy a carton and experiment until you figure out what works and what doesn't for you. You may even just like the whites scrambled or fried.

Good luck!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When I get a craving for a breakfast sandwich I use an Arnold's Multigrain Sandwich thin (only 100 calories) one panfried egg, a slice of Sargento reduced fat swiss cheese (60 calories) and some turkey bacon or low fat low sodium deli ham
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I know that eggs are a really good idea for breakfast, but I have never really had them and I have this adversity towards eating them. In my mind, I think they are gross. I recently tried a piece of spinach fritatta and I wasn't that impressed.

But, I really want to start incorporating them into my diet. Has anyone been in this position? Can anyone recommend a way to acclimate myself to eating them?

I'd appreciate any advice! I usually have a breakfast sandwich in the morning with ham and cheese, but the sodium is a KILLER.

Thanks!

P.S. If anyone wants to friend me, feel free!

Is it only when they are in they "egg shape" that you don't like them? What about if they are in an omelette form or scrambled egg. You could even hard-boil them and mash them up and put them in a sandwich, they may not be as bad then.
  • Psufilmgirl
    Psufilmgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely have a consistency issue-it's why I'm afraid to eat cottage cheese. I guess maybe I can try scrambling them and using salsa? I do like salsa!

I think I just need to get low sodium deli stuff. I usually shop at TJ's for almost everything, but they don't have an actual deli, so there aren't as many options.

Keep the suggestions coming! When I try something, I will let you know!

I also just hate that when I'm out to breakfast I'm stuck with mostly carb options. It's really annoying. Especially when everyone around me likes eggs! Peer Pressure! haha
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love salsa scrambled eggs! Give it a try if you want, but I wouldn't force myself after a few tries if I still dont' like something. I'm that way with lamb. Tried it at least 3 times and just can't do it so I stay away from it.
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have recently starting scrambling mine with a tsp of pesto (I buy it premade, buitoni, at the grocery store), it makes it way tastier in my opinion! :-)
  • kmfl1
    kmfl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    We hard boil them a dozen at a time and I make a sandwich with a bagel, cheese and veggie bacon that I eat on my way to work. I also eat them for a quick protein snack! You may find them slimy fried, but hard boiled eggs are rather enjoyable. Boil just a couple and try 'em on a lark.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    There's no rule saying you have to order breakfast. Ask if you can order off the lunch or dinner menu instead.
  • hdg1822
    hdg1822 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love boiled eggs. They are easier for some people to eat since they don't have to deal with the "liquid" consistency of the egg. Boiled eggs can be added to a lot of food to help you get used to eggs...such a tuna or chicken salad to go on crackers or sandwiches they are also good in salads.
    I also like scrambled eggs in a sandwich with some bacon. I mix the eggs with some milk in a glass and then pour it in the pain and just flip it once so that it stays in the sandwich. Hope that helps.
  • questhaven
    questhaven Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey! In the mornings I use 3/4 a cup of Egg Beaters and once cooked I add Jalapeno salsa, a little sharp cheddar cheese, and some diced tomato- it's pretty yummy! :)