Running, what's next?

Options
I completed C25K on 1/9/12. Since graduation I have been running 30 minutes, 3 times a week. On the alternate days I walk. So, M,W,F I run for 30 and walk for 30, T,T,S,S, I walk for 60. I still find the running quite a challenge. Someone told me that the running would be easier if I did it every day. Really? I wasn't doing that for fear of injury. So, I could try to increase my time on the days that I run, or, run more times per week. Which is likely to be better, both in terms of fitness/weight loss and preventing injury? Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• erincolley
    Options
    The more you switch up your workouts the more effective they are! It will shock your muscles and you will be less likely to hit a plateau. Try adding a couple days of weight training into your weekly workouts! This will help prevent injury while running and help to burn calories all day long.
  • 99cherrypie99
    99cherrypie99 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's much better to run longer then more days. When I first started running last May it killed me. The best advice I ever got was SLOW DOWN. And when you think you're going so slow you're not moving, SLOW DOWN MORE. This advice enabled me to run longer. In turn it made me faster. Last Sunday I ran 8 miles for the first time in 86 minutes.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    In my opinion it's much better to run longer then more days. When I first started running last May it killed me. The best advice I ever got was SLOW DOWN. And when you think you're going so slow you're not moving, SLOW DOWN MORE. This advice enabled me to run longer. In turn it made me faster. Last Sunday I ran 8 miles for the first time in 86 minutes.

This. If you don't push yourself to run farther, shorter distances/times are not going to get easier. Add time or mileage to your already established run days SLOWLY, which will increase your endurance, thus making it "easier" to run shorter distances.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I completed C25K on 1/9/12. Since graduation I have been running 30 minutes, 3 times a week. On the alternate days I walk. So, M,W,F I run for 30 and walk for 30, T,T,S,S, I walk for 60. I still find the running quite a challenge. Someone told me that the running would be easier if I did it every day. Really? I wasn't doing that for fear of injury. So, I could try to increase my time on the days that I run, or, run more times per week. Which is likely to be better, both in terms of fitness/weight loss and preventing injury? Thanks for any feedback.

I am a firm believe in that if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

You are doing very well at the moment training in your own way, in fact, you still find the running part a challenge, therefore it is not, at the moment, too easy for you.

In my opinion, continue training in the way you already have been, you are doing fine as it is. You can switch up later on when the running becomes easier, in fact, you will need to do that then anyway in order to maintain your fitness levels.

Running will not be easier if you do it everyday, in fact, your legs will eventually get very tired, whereas at the moment I suspect they feel just fine?

Continue as you are, you seem to know exactly what you are doing and what you need :flowerforyou:
  • jhungate
    jhungate Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I started with that program and now run 6 days a week and average around 40 miles per week. I wanted to increase the distance I could run, improve my times and increase overall milage.

My base run (standard distance) is now 4.25 miles. I do shorter spped workouts and longer for endurance.

I suggest you increase your distance a little (maybe to three and a half miles versus the 3.1 per run) and add a day. Small effort and increasing your milage by almost 50%, at three days a week you are currently running 9.3 miles a week, this will increase your milage to 14 miles a week..
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks, sounds like all the advise is similar.