Weigh-loss, Diet or entire lifestyle change which are you do

Options

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change. I know that I have a medical disorder now and if I don't take control and do what I need to do to keep my weight under control it will kill me. I have been almost 400 lbs before and even on an 800 calorie a day inpatient diet I gained weight, back then surgery was my only option. I lost it all got down to 118 (which by the way is WAY to small for 5'9" large frame me) but then it started coming right back on. It was only after my diagnosis that we knew what was really causing my gain and it took me a while to accept it since so many people (like the ones here) says it's all about calories in and calories burned, well that may work for the other 99% of the population but not for me. This HAS to be a LIFESTYLE change.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've made lifestyle changes. I do want to lose weight but this is more about getting healthy than being a specific weight or size. I eat as much organic food as possible and make as much food from scratch as I can. Naturally, there are times when I don't feel like cooking or when I really want to go to a restaurant. I do still indulge in sweets once in a while, but it's far less frequently than I used to. I've also stopped drinking sodas and completely avoid high fructose corn syrup in addition to other changes.
  • SongbirdLandy
    SongbirdLandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Is this weight loss you are seeking, is it a diet or whole new lifestyle change? If so, what's the difference to you and why do you think so (if you say lifestyle change or diet)?

Definitely a lifestyle change. To me, a diet was a certain type of meal or food you had to eat everyday, it gets boring. Counting calories is a lifestyle change because you can almost eat whatever you want with proper portion control.
    If you say lifestyle change, what are you doing differently--that distinguishes this weigh loss effort from a diet?

I don't feel a disconnect with other people around me. I'm eating what they're eating just not at the rate that got me there before. On a diet, you look of it as a chore and it is mentally tough because there are so many rules. As for what I'm doing different or how I feel compared to a predetermined diet; I'm sticking to it, losing, and am happy about the entire process.
    Lastly, what is a lifestyle change to you--what's your definition of a lifestyle change and why or why isn't it important to you on your weight loss mission?

A lifestyle change is just the right mindset I believe. It's a commitment to the entire process; eating healthier, exercising, and just really giving a crap about your health. It's important because it's the right process, to get the results (weight loss), you need the right process.

THIS!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mine journey started out as a series of quick fixes: cutting out some foods (sugar, alcohol, wheat), running to burn extra calories extra quickly. In the last 7 months, it's turned into a lifestyle change. I do eat sweets but I don't binge, and since cutting alcohol I'm pretty limited to 2 or 3 drinks even when I'm "partying." I'm allergic to wheat but I still have a biscuit or cake every now and then and just tough out the consequences.

The big realization for me was regarding my birthday lunch this past weekend, immediately after running a half marathon. 6 months ago, I would have said "IT'S MY BIRTHDAY AND I JUST RAN 13.1 MILES IMMA EAT WHATEVER I WANT!!" I realized last week that I don't really want to binge eat or drink any more. I ended up giving someone half my biscuit, eating 1/3 of my food, and limiting myself to 3 cocktails.

Limiting my intake, and even running the half marathon, isn't for the sake of weight loss any more, it's just who I am now, and dammit I like it!!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Is this weight loss you are seeking, is it a diet or whole new lifestyle change? If so, what's the difference to you and why do you think so (if you say lifestyle change or diet)?

If you say lifestyle change, what are you doing differently--that distinguishes this weigh loss effort from a diet?

Lastly, what is a lifestyle change to you--what's your definition of a lifestyle change and why or why isn't it important to you on your weight loss mission?

Thanks so much in advance for your reply. I think our answers will really inspire someone or at least give us something to "chew on" pun intended:happy:

Primarily weight-loss, rather than a whole new way of living (at this point at least). I've always eaten "healthy" food, but over the past few years I've been eating a bit too much of it and the weight has slowly crept on, and I want it OFF! I'm loving MFP because it makes me keep a close eye on how much I'm eating - I'm not so tempted to reach for second helpings when I know I have to record it and it's going to put me in the red! It also reminds me to exercise, which I can be a bit lazy about normally.

I'm not considering it a "diet" though, because I associate that word with unhealthy, restrictive, horrible eating plans involving cabbage soup/grapefruits/whatever. Been there, done that, doesn't work for me AT ALL!
  • sparkly96
    sparkly96 Posts: 120
    Options
    After successfully losing weight and putting it back on I now need to look at it as a lifestyle change instead of just weight loss.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine definitely started off as a need/desire to lose weight, but yesterday I had a personal NSV that made me know for sure that what I've managed to acheive is a life-style change with the added benefit of losing weight & getting healthier...

I've been down with the flu for the past week and had not worked out since last Monday. I felt fat, gross and lazy all week, though I was in no shape to work-out while running a 102 fever & sweating away in my bed. Needless to say, I was super jazzed to finally get back to it yesterday. That in & of itself is a small victory since daily work-outs were not even a part of my life 3 short months ago. The bigger victory came after the work-out, though, when I realized how GREAT it felt to complete that work-out, to know that I had done it, pushed myself beyond what I'd thought myself capable of so soon and not given in to any excuses of 'maybe I'm not ready yet, maybe my body needs more time, etc etc etc'...it was a natural high akin to great sex!!! It felt so fabulous to know that I have now conditioned my body to not only expect and respond to regular work-outs, but to WANT them. :happy:
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change: means you change your life for the better so that you can live out your days being fit and healthy and strong

Diet (in the common sense of the word): a temporary unsustainable way of eating that fat, unfit, unhealthy people do periodically throughout their lives. See also, "cleanse", "detox".

So true!

Lifestyle change for sure. I think I drive people around me nuts because of it.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change, meaning I plan to do this for the rest of my life and keep it off.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change, so when I get to my gw I wont go back to this miserable stage in life.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Mine journey is weight loss but through a lifestyle change. I have learned from the past that diets are just a huge waist of time. I want to live longer and be around to see my great grandkids! I want to be with my family as long as possible and enjoy life instead of being restriced by this weight!
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is my target, or has been up until now. It's not a diet, because I don't plan on ever gaining the weight back. (A "diet" means that I'd go back to eating exactly how I was previously once reaching my desired weight... that isn't an option because I'd just gain all the weight back again.) At some point I was planning on switching more to a lifestyle change -- eating more healthily, exercising etc. I haven't done that yet... I've made small changes here and there, and kept the changes up for months now, but I don't think they're enough yet to justify calling it lifestyle change.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    at first - diet. weight loss. have to fit into a wedding dress by summer 2012.

now - lifestyle change, completely. i learned very quickly if i stop "dieting" i'm just going to fall back into my old bad habits and gain the weight right back. so i decided to stop dieting. instead, i live a healthy lifestyle. i exercise, eat healthy foods, but also enjoy the bad foods - in moderation. life is too short not to enjoy the cake (in my opinion). do i need to have a slice of cake everyday or a HUGE slice of cake? no. but a piece of cake once in a while? at a party? for a holiday? sure, why not? if it fits into my day, then I can be all over it.
    so now its not JUST about the wedding dress. it's about ALL clothes, bikinis, being comfortable in my own skin, and hearing "your cholesterol is normal" and "you are healthy" when I go to the doctor and hearing one of my friends ask me for food and exercise advice.

this whole counting cals thing works for me. i get it, it gets me. even maintaining i think it is helpful. i do not EVER plan on slipping back in my old ways. i am too happy right now to ever want to be in that dark place again.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine is definately a life style. Before I used to think I was eating healthy but now I'm watching and counting just about everything. I know I'm much healthier now and actually weight loss was pretty easy doing it this way. There are days when I go over but mostly just stick to the allowed calories and it works. I have rid my closets of everything to big for me as I don't want to ever go back to fitting into them.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    changing my lifestyle. Eating healthier & more exercise. Strength training is a completely foreign concept to me but I'm getting into it.
    I realized after a few weeks here that tho I don't like 'working out' I DO like exercise - bicycling, swimming - stuff like that.
    For me- I guess I kind of lost myself in my last (bad) marriage and pretty much adopted my ex's unhealthy lifestyle/menu.
    So while I'm getting back to healthy habits I know, I'm learning all kinds of new things here.
    why? I'm getting older and I want to be the healthiest senior I can be for a better quality of life in my 'golden years'. My friend's mother-in-law lived to be over 80 but her last 10-15 years she was pretty much blind (from diabetes) and confined to the house due to multiple medical condtions & overweight. Pretty much a slow death. *shudder*
    God willing, I don't want that to happen to me
    I want to LIVE TILL I DIE
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Definitely a lifestyle change. It's about balance and control. This site definitely is essential in keeping me on track though. Love being able to track my macros and calories.

I enjoy eating healthy and making my own healthy choices, but I don't deny myself the occasional splurge, verses being on a diet of denial with the more than occasional binge.

Funny this post just came up right now. I had just asked a coworker to pick up some dark chocolate for me while she was out running errands (I'm having a sweet tooth moment). She said, "but that's not on your diet." I laughed and said, "I'm not on a diet, it's a lifestyle change.. I'll work it off with my trainer tonight.. GET THE CHOCOLATE!" :)
  • OnceAndFutureAthlete
    OnceAndFutureAthlete Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    At first I just wanted to get rid of this weight, but after two months and reaping all the many benefits (more energy, losing weight, less digestive problems, less stress, less headaches-literally), it is something that feels so good that it will be easy to do the rest of my life.

^^^this.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle for sure. I have changed everything I eat and drink, well...with the exceptioon of Vodka and Absinthe.
    I drink 8-15 glasses of water a day and haven't had beef or real junk in months. Not missing it much either.

I told my daughter that I was extremely proud to have made this change and still be able to make incredibly awesome tasty but healthy meals.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mine is very definetly a lifestyle change.
    to me a diet is a temporary calorie lowering to lose weight, then when you get to your goal and 'come off' the diet, you put it all back on plus more.
    Ive done that repeatedly for the last 15 years, this time I want to be healthy, fit and maintain my loss long term so its all about going for healthier choices, everything in moderation and working out rather than resorting to stupidly low 'diet' calories.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Thanks so much in advance for your reply. I think our answers will really inspire someone or at least give us something to "chew on" pun intended:happy:

It is a lifestyle change. By that I mean I am making changes I can live with for the rest of my life. To me a diet is nothing but changing your eating habits for a period of time. I need to change my eating habits for life so I can't say I will not eat chocolate chip cookies anymore. Well I could, but it would be a lie. The key is moderation. Where as in the past I would have eaten the entire plate of cookies, I can now eat a serving which is usually 2. I have also added an exercise plan. While most of my friends and coworkers think I am a little insane ( I workout everyday M-F at 5am), this has worked for me. I can make a million excuses after work not to go to the gym, but at 4:30 am when the alarm goes off the only one is I don't want to get up and that just doesn't cut it. This lifestyle change definitely involves weight loss. That is definitely my end goal. However, I know it is going to be a journey, a long one. I have started looking at my weight as points in time and comparing to where I am now. For example, I haven't weighed 204 pounds since before my daughter was born, 17 years ago!!! With that in mind, I know I did not put this weight on over night and therefore it won't come off overnight. I have about 60 more pounds to my goal weight. I have many scoffers who say I won't make it (including my doctor, he would be happy with me at 180). To them I say - Watch me! I like a challenge!! When I get to the goal weight, I want the weight to stay off and the only way to do that is to make lifestyle changes. Diets don't work unless you eat that way all of the time. Oh, and I have no intention of ever giving up my workouts. After loathing them for many months, I actually like them now. It is my me time!