hiring a personal trainer?? ADVICE PLEASE!

Options
Sooooooo, I am well into the cardio swing of things and swim some serious laps about 3 times a week. I am doing good with food choices and have dropped about 10 lbs so far. I have never lifted weights, nor have I ever had the desire to lift weights, but I am coming to understand that without strength training in the mix, I may never achieve and maintain my goals, as I need the muscle to burn fat long term. And I would not mind having some muscle definition when I get my weight down more.

I belong to a LA Fitness and this is mainly because they have a 25 meter pool where I can swim. Never touched the other machines, and I am a bit leary because I have always had problems with one of my legs being slightly shorter than the other due to a tumor during childhood. On the way out of the pool today, I got to thinking and them ask them about thier personal trainers and specifically whether any of them had any expereince with individuals who have issues similar to mine needing specific training to ensure that no damage is done to the back give any impact on my legs can cause differential pressure.

So, one lady there has has a lot of experience with this and used to be an OT, so she has done some rehab therapy with clients. I liked her and set up a "free session" to start it out, which is this Friday. However, then I had to talk to the "main boss" and he really poured on the pressure, tryng to get me to sign up for 6 months, then 12 months. Did not like him and did not like his approach. He kept telling the lady in mid conversation that he really needed to talk to her afterwards, and he said this several times? So I have no idea what it was he needed to talk to her about, but it was obvious it was about me....I am quite curious, and it made me uncomfortable.

I had to get really assertive with them to tell me the fee structure. Found out that there is a $125 registration fee just to start up (and this is above and beyond the membership fee I paid, and the monthy fee). If you sign up for 3 months it is 60 bucks a session for only a half an hour, if you sign up for 6 months it is $50 a session, and $40 if you sign up for a year. You have to do it at least once a week and they automatically deduct it from your credit card regardless.

I liked the lady a lot, but I feel this is a rip off! And her boss was a terd! Let me know your thoughts about hiring personal trainers please? Should I just try and figure out it on my own? Or is it worth it to hire a personal trainer? I even thought about looking up ones on the internet and seeing if someone would come to my house, but I don't know if this is more expensive or even worth it to bother. I would really like some guidance from those who have hired one or those who have done a lot of strength training without one.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :-)

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I think hiring a trainer is a great tool, but there is no way I'd hire a trainer at the gym you described. I buy a package of sessions. I have no "registration fee." I schedule the sessions at my convenience, when I want them - which for me is once every other week or so. The fees were disclosed up front, no hard sell, etc.

You might want to look into a trainer who come to your home or one at a private gym - the prices might be pretty comparable and you can work around your needs, schedule, and budget.
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    anybody know what cost range to expect?
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I belong to a local (i.e., non-chain) gym. I just started with a personal trainer about 3 weeks ago. My gym has several options but the easiest is to simply pay them by the half-hour, which is $25, or $45 for an hour. I love my gym for many reasons, but one of them is definitely because there was ZERO pressure to sign up with a trainer. I actually had to approach them abou it.

ETA: I live in the Greater Cincinnati area for reference. Not sure if prices would vary by part of the country, but I would expect they might.
  • gonzang
    gonzang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I felt no pressure to hire my trainer. In fact, I have gotten such good results and have liked him so much that I stayed with him even after he left my gym and opened his own training studio. I pay $30 a session, which is quite good for this area (Seattle) from what I've heard.

Totally worth the money, I think. Good luck!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty bad situation. $60 for a 1/2 hour session is outrageous. There is no way on earth any LA Fitness facility can attract trainers of high enough quality to justify that price. Unfortunately that is becoming more and more the "norm" in commercial clubs these days. The chains compete on price, so there is not as much profit--once they get you in the door, they feel compelled to squeeze you.

I would just go ahead and try out the machines on your own. They are usually pretty user friendly. I think most LA Fitness gyms have Life Fitness equipment and I think it is pretty intuitive.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Find a private trainer
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I agree with Asdak, if you're only going to use machines, you really don't need a trainer. If you're working your legs avoid the curls type machines (they're not great at the best of times, but horrid for dodgy legs!).

If you're thinking about free weights, get a good book which will outline an appropriate programme for you, take it slowly and carefully, pay attention to the way your body feels - particularly where you know there's vulnerability.

I understand that the weight room can feel intimidating, and I used to be scared of going in there. But honestly, it's fine.

I certainly wouldn't pay the kind of money you're describing for a hard sell, unprofessional approach like that.

Having said all that, If you want a personal trainer (I do think this would be sensible given your history) then I'd just keep looking.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say YES hire a trainer, I really think weights are important and without learning proper form you could end up getting hurt. I pay $40 for an hour session with unlimited emails on any questions I ever have for her. No registration fee, no pressure to buy a package or anything like that.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Dont use the personal trainer if the personal trainer is "skinny fat"!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    on the base where i live you can get a trainer for 10$ a session, but the last time i had a trainer(not on base, at a national chain gym that shall remain nameless..) he came with my gym membership, and is the reason i will never again get one.....omfg he was SUCH a dooch, he actualy grabed me and picked me up to empress some, for lack of a better phrase "bimbos" at the gym, and spent the entire time telling me what a "fat @$$" i was and how he was so awsome because he was a ref' for a local high school basketball team. ....
    my advice meet the person before you agree to ANYTHING evan if its only an hour it could be one of the worst in your life..
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Personally I think personal trainers are worth the investment, if you can find the right one... From what I've heard LA Fitness does not even have their PT's go through a certification program.. they just go through a training program at LA fitness and thats it.. so I think about your decision carefully and ask what kind of certification that she has.

To give you an idea on cost though, I buy my training sessions in packages of 20. It's 1000 dollars total, and I put roughly 300 down and then pay the rest in payments spread out over 4-5 months. That amount of money allows me to see my trainer once a week for 3 weeks out of the month for an hour each time. I don't even think my gym does half an hour slots.. and if they did it would not be 60 dollars.
  • cadams1696
    cadams1696 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My son is a trainer and I recommend that you try to find a work around. Do your weight training in your own home if you can with a trainer. Many trainers have their own equipment. It may not be fancy but will achieve the same results. Some people have gyms available in there housing developments which allow private trainers.

FYI - The trainer has to give up up to 60% of what they charge back to the gym, which does not leave much for them. Most are not paid any wages from the gym. If you do it from home, you can eliminate the middle man and the trainer can usually give you a good deal. it is a win-win. Also, beware if you buy training well in advance and the gym goes under - Like many have. You will lose your $$. The trainer does not have it; the gym does. My son saw this happen with a gym he worked for. He was not paid either becuase he did not get paid until he did the training. Some gyms let the trainer pay them so if the gym takes a dive the trainer can still train you at home or make some other arrangement with your new gym to train you. Check Better Business and talk to the trainers on the side to find out if the business is bouncing checks to them or slow to pay them,if so, RUN!

Hope this helps