women trying to lean out with strength...how much cardio?

Options

Replies

• super_star_27
    super_star_27 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i do mainly cardio; running, jogging, dancing but i'm trying to incorperate more strength into my workouts... maybe conditioning such as burpees, push ups, crunches and planks?
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

10-15 mins lifting is a waste of time.
    Not really. If you're new to lifting it's quite enough. I limit my lifting due to hypermobility, I have to be so careful with my ligaments and tendons. You shouldn't pass generic judgements like that.

You're right, I'm sorry! Somebody I know shouldn't post on the boards when she's hungry for dinner. :embarassed:

I have a friend at the gym who does practically no weight on the same 3 machines (reverse flyes, oblique rotation, and preacher curls). She doesn't break a sweat and you can see her throwing it around, so it's not heavy for her. She does this for 10 mins, then comes to my spinning class. I think this is what I visualized. I don't give her a hard time for it, but I do admit to an inward eyeroll.

Thanks for taking me down a notch!
  • wiepster
    Options
    Lift 3 times a week, try to use the basic compound schedule, like a Rippetoe schedule or Madcow, see http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw52.htm , follow the advise given there, this schedule will make you stronger and leaner. Perform in the best form you can, then start adding weights to build strenght, this will avoid injuries.

Only light cardio on the days you lift, as a warming up. Also do not do cardio too long,burning over 300 cal, this will make you lose muscle instead of fat. Split the cardio up, if needed or wanted to twice a day to make sure to stay under burning 300 cal.

Divide your nutrition to 40 % Protein and Carbs, 20% Fat., this will make you more toned and burn quicker. This is the only way for me to lose weight, too much carbs will hold the weight, even though I keep the calorie count low.

Studies show that weightlifting is very good for the body, especially for older women, to avoid osteoporosis and keep a good posture. Dr Oz has written an article in one of the latest Oprah Magazines regarding the benefits of weightlifting for woman.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me to limit the amount of cardio i'm doing right now, not worry about the scale, and concentrate on getting stronger. I have training sessions, lifting heavy, 8 hours a week. One hour on top of that for bodyweight exercises, and i do about 4-6 hours of cardio weekly.

Monitoring my body composition with quarterly DEXA scans, i've gained 8 pounds of lean mass, and lost 21 pounds overall in the last 9 months.
  • MrsFelton2010
    MrsFelton2010 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    love this, im really trying to get into weights while losing pounds. ive lost some pounds but have about 100lbs total more to lose. So I ask you ladies who are lifting is it a good idea for me with so much weight left to lose? I eat 1350 on rest days and on workout days I try to eat about 1500_1700. I know I probably should eat more but when I first started losing I was eating 1200 on rest days and maybe 300-500 additional exercise calories. I am going to check out New Rules book.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Eva_H
    Eva_H Posts: 15
    Options
    Interesting topic, I just started lifting. Bump!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    love this, im really trying to get into weights while losing pounds. ive lost some pounds but have about 100lbs total more to lose. So I ask you ladies who are lifting is it a good idea for me with so much weight left to lose? I eat 1350 on rest days and on workout days I try to eat about 1500_1700. I know I probably should eat more but when I first started losing I was eating 1200 on rest days and maybe 300-500 additional exercise calories. I am going to check out New Rules book.
    I don't think it would hurt, but until you lose more of the weight on top of the muscle, you probably won't really notice them. Maybe have more cardio days with 2 or so strength days in there.

Thank you for all the awesome replies!
  • cadency
    Options
    So most of the studies I have read say that if you have a lot of fat to lose, you do predominantly cardio and you can continue with weight lifting in a high intensity interval pattern. So short rests in between reps to continue with the cardio burn. This helps you lose fat more quickly; then it is better to tone with the heavy lifting more and shorten the periods of cardio.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of time wasted on mediocre exercises like "cutting" with high reps and "ab circuits".

unless you want to spend hours in the gym each week, keep it simple and keep it heavy. this builds muscle. IMHO there is no such thing as toning. You are tearing and building muscle or you are doing cardio (high reps). Building muscle = tone.

bodybuilders might need to work on specific body parts for competitions, for the rest of us, complex multi-muscle exercises are all really all that is needed.

On abs - real lifting will build your core naturally, the majors, deads, squats and pullups do this for you - no need to waste time doing 30 mins of crunches.

This is what I understand to be accurate as far as strength goes, and what I'm basing my strength program on (I chose Starting Strength after looking at NROL4W and Strong Lifts first).

As for cardio, I pretty much do it only if I want to. And that's probably an average of 1 or 2 days per week for 30 - 45 minutes.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Both equally!
    Need cardio to burn fat. Need strength to build muscle :)
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    When we're talking about lifting, how much are we talking (kg)?

I know it's different for everyone, but I have absolutely NO idea what a 'good' weight would be. What does everyone else lift, and how often?
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Here's my plan, I'm on new rules of lifting too:

day 1: workout A weights
    day 2: 25 mins HIIT on the bike (10km)
    day 3: workout B weights
    off
    day 5: workout A weights
    day 6: 25 mins HIIT on the bike (10km)
    off.

aiming for 120g protein a day. See my diary for weight details!
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Both equally!
    Need cardio to burn fat. Need strength to build muscle :)

Cardio is for conditioning. Cardio is NOT needed to burn fat. A calorie deficit alone is what burns fat. Cardio can aid in burning fat but it's not an efficient or smart way to do so.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    When we're talking about lifting, how much are we talking (kg)?

I know it's different for everyone, but I have absolutely NO idea what a 'good' weight would be. What does everyone else lift, and how often?

You can start with what is heavy for you at 1-8 reps. And incrementally increase from that.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Cardio has a slight advantage burning a bit more calories during an actual workout session...

That being said, lifting weights gives your metabolism a spike for about an hour after a workout. During this time your body is trying hard to help your muscles recover. This means that on average you'll fry an additional 25 percent of the calories you just scorched during your strength session.

For me....strength building wins, but just like your diet your workouts need to have a good balance.
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Cardio has a slight advantage burning a bit more calories during an actual workout session...

True. However strength training is for gaining strength. Cardio conditions the body. I personally don't do either for the calorie burn. Eating optimally (at a deficit, maintenance or surplus) is all that's necessary to take care of the body fat issue.

Use them for what they actually do.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I do both equally. 3-4 days a week I do 30 minutes of cardio, monitoring my heart rate to stay at least 75% of max, then alternate legs/upper body using a combination of the machines and free weights. Every week I try to add a little more weight. I do core exercises every day I'm at the gym. Friday nights I take advantage of the boot camp offered by my gym, which is circuit training, and frankly kicks my butt.

Lean muscle burns more calories even at rest. Cardio conditions the body - and makes the heart muscle stronger.

Since I'm looking to lose weight, and be more healthy, I stick to 1500 calories a day. I've decreased my carbs from the MFP recommended to 130grams a day - all whole grains. I eat more protein to recover the muscles. I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. I don't eat my calories back.

I've lost 13lbs. since I started, and I'm down a dress size. I'm losing about 1.5 lbs a week - (I've got 40lbs to go to get back the majority of my pre-3 kids in 5 years body).

Women are afraid to weight train because they don't want to get "bulky",. which is a complete myth. We don't bulk up like men do unless we are actively trying to.
  • Thanks for the replies!

If anyone out there does more strength than cardio and wants to share their schedule, I would really appreciate it. :smile:

I do more heavy lifting than cardio at the moment (hate the stationary cardio machines - I like my cardio outside when its warmer!).

Monday- Legs
    Tuesday- Upper
    Wednesday- REST
    Thursday- 45 min swim or 30 min run
    Friday- 20 min run + core
    Saturday- Spin Class or 30 min run
    Sunday- REST
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    i do lifting 3 days a week, and zumba 2 days a week. I also throw in about 20 minutes of cardio after I lift.

Hey that's my schedule! :)

I also add in a 30-45 minutewalk during lunch but at a leisurely pace.