The 2 S's - Success and Stuck

Options
There's a world of difference in my life 64 pounds lighter. It's not about "happy", as some very bad things have happened in the last 18 months for me. But it's about being able to manage life without having to mentally always being on the alert for my obesity. If I need to go somewhere now, I don't have to plan for whether a chair will hold me or not.

17 months ago I was out of control. It's been a slow, steady loss. I need to lose about 20 more and I will be right where I want to be. But I have now been stuck for 3 months. The reason this concerns me is that it's deja vu. Years ago I did the exact same thing. Lost, hit this point and stalled. Then, after about 5 years, I gradually started gaining back. I was actually proud that the entire cycle took 12 years as I've known people who had gastric bypass who gained back faster. But it's not lost on me that I am at the EXACT same weight I was at when I stalled the last time. It's like my body just refuses to go below this point. I am now wearing a size 14. My doctor is thrilled. But I'm baffled as to why this happens. In the past 3 months I have:

1) joined weight watchers so I would have "official" structure. I was 100% on plan for 3 weeks and gained 3 pounds. Quit WW. I could tell they were allowing me far too much food but, quite frankly, stayed with it just on the hope it might work as I really liked their frozen meals.

2) So I joined a gym. For the last two months I worked out 3 times a week. On the alternate days I walk 2 miles and that is a challenge as my knees are shot. (The walking is not new, I've been doing that for a year.) This is the most exercise I've gotten in ages. It seems to have made zero difference. No loss and my clothes fit me the same. During this window I was back to calorie counting and was averaging 1400 per day.

3) Tried low carb starting about 3 weeks ago. I was able to get the 3 pounds I gained while doing WW off quickly (week one), but that's it. I am not doing no carb, but low carb. Trying to stay with fish and chicken for protein, green veggies. No fruit at this time. Some things like low carb yogart tossed in to avoid total boredom. I do not count calories at all. There's no question my calorie count goes up when doing low carb. My guess is that I'm probably around 1600 calories per day. I do not gain as long as I am strictly watching the carbs.

I really can't figure this out and I can't think of anything else to try. I really am pretty happy with myself and what's I've done. If I do not gain, I can live with where I am right now and be happy. If I were losing even 2 pounds a month, I would be thrilled. But it really is more of a mystery to me than anything and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Any ideas of what I'm not doing that I should be? Would love to know if anyone has figured this riddle out or has suggestions for what I can try next. Low carb gets old for me fast and I'd say I have about one more week before I need to make a new plan.

Thanks!

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options

[...] I do not count calories at all. There's no question my calorie count goes up when doing low carb. My guess is that I'm probably around 1600 calories per day. I do not gain as long as I am strictly watching the carbs.[...]

[...] I really can't figure this out and I can't think of anything else to try [...]

[...] Any ideas of what I'm not doing that I should be?[...]

Why don't you try faithful logging of your daily intake? Not counting your calories might be leading you to over/underestimate some things, so it definitely would not hurt in order to try to reach goals that are very important to you. It does get easier over time.
    It looks like you have a lot to be proud of for what you've accomplished so far. Thanks for sharing your journey.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest logging all your meals and exercise for a couple weeks minimum, partly to count calories but also partly to have a specific record of what you're eating. That second part will help in talking with both a trainer and nutritionist. Everyone hits plateaus in loosing a lot of weight and you probably have to shake things up to work through it. Your body is simply used to what you've been doing so far. Beyond the nutrition, changing and increasing your overall activity level will help. If your gym has a pool and you're comfortable in the water, swimming laps or water aerobics classes would be a great way to get low impact exercise.

If there is no improvement after a couple weeks after talking to a nutritionist, I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist to make sure your body hormones are within normal ranges.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest logging all your meals and exercise for a couple weeks minimum, partly to count calories but also partly to have a specific record of what you're eating. That second part will help in talking with both a trainer and nutritionist. Everyone hits plateaus in loosing a lot of weight and you probably have to shake things up to work through it. Your body is simply used to what you've been doing so far. Beyond the nutrition, changing and increasing your overall activity level will help. If your gym has a pool and you're comfortable in the water, swimming laps or water aerobics classes would be a great way to get low impact exercise.

If there is no improvement after a couple weeks after talking to a nutritionist, I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist to make sure your body hormones are within normal ranges.

Those are really good points! Logging keeps a record you can show to health providers, and also the fact that thyroid levels or other imbalances might be affecting you.
  • godslilgerl
    godslilgerl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT WHEN U ADDED EXCERCISE YOUR BODY PROBABLY HELD ON TO SOME WATER WEIGHT BECAUSE YOUR MUSCLES NEED THE EXTRA WATER...I ALWAY GAIN WHEN I START WORKING OUT...IT NEVER FAILS BUT I JUST KEEP GOING AND EVENTUALLY IT FALLS OFF. I SAY KEEP WORKING OUT...YOUR BODY WILL FIGURE IT OUT AND LET GO AND WHEN IT DOES YOU'LL PROBABLY LOOSE A GOOD AMOUNT OF WEIGHT THAT WEEK. PLUS A TONED SIZE 14 LOOKS WAY BETTER THAN A FLABBY SIZE 14 =)
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    I hope this is the case. I'm in my 50's so I'm hoping things are just taking a while to make a difference in terms of the exercise.
    The last time I did this I walked 3 miles every day though and it didn't get me anywhere either. My knees are so shot that the gym is a big help there. They have a recumbant bike I can ride that my knees can tolerate and then the rest concentrates on specific muscle groups. I had no idea your back across the shoulders could be sore. One machine works that area and I don't think it's ever been worked in my life.

Just to be clear, except for the last 3 weeks on low carb I weigh/measure/calorie count every bite I eat. Doing that now, but only in terms of carbs. Because I do not have access to a laptop during the day, I just learned it was more complete if I did it in a notebook. Waiting until the end of the day to log meant I might forget sometime. I tend to be a bit OCD in the "all or nothing" sense of things. Right now I'm on "all" and I don't want to lose it.

I knew a notebook was better for me when I found myself having to go to the trash can at work to see if I could jar my memory on what I'd brought in for lunch that day. : ) Welcome to the 50's!!! lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!