Zoloft

Options
So anyone else having trouble losing weight on Zoloft?

I've been working my *kitten* off and numbers wise I should be dropping, instead I'm gaining. And I know what I'm doing and have already lost 75 lbs.. I'm NOT cheating...

The only 2 things I have changed I gave up caffeine and I'm on Zoloft.. I recently gave up the caffeine, and I've been on Zoloft for 8 months now. And the best I can get down is 5lbs then back on.. SO FRUSTRATED!!!! *sigh*

Replies

• Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to go off of Zoloft? Like ask your doctor for an alternative perhaps?
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I take Zoloft, absolutely no trouble here. Maybe you are not eating enough calories?
  • tammyh22
    tammyh22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Although not on Zoloft, your answer is "Yes", any anti-depressant keeps weight on. Something that may help: ask your doctor if you can try lowering your dose just a little and get a healthy balance of: maintaining a weight you are comfortable with as well as taking the lowest amount of medication you can without compromising your emotional well being. This may take some time to get the balance just right, but there is a happy medium.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Please don't compromise your mental well being for a little bit of weight, I know people who have been suffering from depression for years and also take zoloft. If the medication is working for you don't change that, what I would suggest that perhaps you keep in mind that muscle weighs more that fat, if you are feeling a change in your clothes then you are making progress. Please remember that it is also important to look after your mental well being because if you don't feel good mentally the you can not look after yourself and anyone else physically.
  • taraahansen
    Options
    I'm on it and don't have any issues with losing weight. I do want to mention that Zoloft may actually slow down the thyroid though so you may want to get a thyroid test done. Good luck!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I took zoloft for years, and was able to lose weight while taking it. Though my current doctor switched me to pristiq, and the weight has been a lot easier to take off. However, I still have to be meticulous about what I eat and I cannot eat back all my exercise calories. I can only have some.
    I assume you are using Zoloft for either depression or social anxiety. These disorders go hand in hand, I suffer both personally. It made me feel human again. It made it easier to follow a weight loss program, but harder to lose the weight. But it is not impossible! Just be meticulous about it all. Log every drop you drink, every crumb you eat. And exercise. It helps the depression too.
    Feel free to friend me. I have been fighting many years with my weight and my depression and anxiety. Maybe I can help you in some way.
  • KariePerez
    Options
    Does Zoloft Cause Weight Gain?
    Weight gain is a possible side effect of Zoloft® (sertraline hydrochloride), although it is not very common. Based on clinical studies, weight gain occurs in around 1 percent of people who take Zoloft (although the exact percentage was not reported in these studies). Given this small percentage, for individual situations it is difficult to say whether weight gain is actually caused by the medicine itself, another medical condition, a change in eating habits and/or physical activity, a combination of these factors, or something else.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Best thing I ever did was get off the meds.

Once I finally got a grip that it wasn't me: it was my POS husband, I was able to get off the meds and get a divorce and get a life. Lovin' life now- 149 pounds lighter and no meds..... and no POS husband.

New husband. New outlook on life.

Good luck!!
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Actually no, I had the complete opposite affect. When I was on Zoloft I lost a lot more weight then I ever have. Im not sure if it was the Zoloft but I wasn't doing anything different but losing quickly.. That was about ten years ago... Good luck. Maybe you can ask your doc about Wellbutrin... That has been known to have weight loss as a side effect.... :) you need it any way right? Might as well take something that helps with weight loss lol
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,for the input

My problem is I don't have insurance and living in lovely america, I have VERY limited options.. almost none. And since I don't get insurance as a temp worker.. I'm kinda screwed... I lost my insurance when I lost my last job.

SO :-/ what I want to do is see a therapist and see what they say. But I can't as I don't have insurance, and they are expensive.. *sigh* ..

All I know is my emotions are screwed, I'm not losing and I'm being perfect with the diet and SHOULD be losing!
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    Despite what their website says, in practice, I have found that my patients on Zoloft report more weight gain and more difficulty losing weight. Have you tried any other SSRIs?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I didn't have trouble with it. Trouble was getting OFF it. Ugh.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can see what you eat.
    Tell us about your actual weight, height and physical activity.
    We may be able to give you some suggestions if you give us some numbers.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I suffered from anxiety attacks and was put on Celexa. I lost weight. I believe it was because I was more at ease and not eating out of desperation. One thing I do know, the Celexa worked wonders for me. No side effects and no anxiety/self consciousness after just one week! I discontinued taking it when my insurance ran out about 2 years after injuring my back and losing my job after 9/11. Fortunately, I haven't had any anxiety issues since.

Good luck!

PS Have you gone to your state's DSHS (or equivalent, I'm in WA)? If you have no income you may qualify for their benefits... free doctor visits and meds. Even if you have a limited income, you may qualify for some medical benefits, especially medications if you have been diagnosed and need treatment you can't afford.
  • kldevore
    Options
    I would look into any behavioral healthcare community agencies. A lot of the time if you live in the county they have a sliding fee scale that adjusts to income level. It also never hurts to talk to your Dr. about your options.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    Options
    I suffered from anxiety attacks and was put on Celexa. I lost weight. I believe it was because I was more at ease and not eating out of desperation. One thing I do know, the Celexa worked wonders for me. No side effects and no anxiety/self consciousness after just one week! I discontinued taking it when my insurance ran out about 2 years after injuring my back and losing my job after 9/11. Fortunately, I haven't had any anxiety issues since.

Good luck!

PS Have you gone to your state's DSHS (or equivalent, I'm in WA)? If you have no income you may qualify for their benefits... free doctor visits and meds. Even if you have a limited income, you may qualify for some medical benefits, especially medications if you have been diagnosed and need treatment you can't afford.

NOPE! Been there Single white girl no kids get NOTHING!!

Celexa had worse side effects.
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    Options
    I would look into any behavioral healthcare community agencies. A lot of the time if you live in the county they have a sliding fee scale that adjusts to income level. It also never hurts to talk to your Dr. about your options.

I either make to much money, or they don't care.. Every 'low-income' place I have ever been to treats me like a 2nd class person. And so that makes me feel worse, so won't do that again.
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My generic costs like 40 bucks a month or something. Do you take the generic? Sertraline? how many mg do you take if you do not mind my asking
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Perhaps one of the older meds would work for you? They tend to be a LOT less expensive. The old tricyclics or prozac generic. I started taking a low dose tricyclic at night for tension headaches and it helped with the depression too. Perhaps this could be an option for you?

*Edit - I'm not sure if the super-expensive Pristiq even does me any good, as my symptoms were not fully controlled until adding the tricyclic, neurotryptiline.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    No. I take 150mg of zoloft and 300mg of wellbutrin XL, which is a lot compared to most people and I am losing very well with a sensible diet, lifting heavy 3 times a week and 1/2 hr of cardio 3 times a week. I was a chronic overeater due to my depression, but I've gotten that under control and use exercise instead of eating as a coping mechanism.

Please don't ever stop an antidepressant without consulting a doc first. Antidepressants need to be weaned slowly. Also, it takes 4-6 weeks to feel different on these meds, and only if its the correct med and dosage for you. If you are truly depressed and require these meds, stopping them will sabotage you by putting you back into a depression, resulting in taking up old bad habits or a lack of energy.