Gym or Home?

Options
How many of you on here who have lost a great amount of weight? Are you going to the gym or doing all this at your home. Just curious and wondering what kind of results I can get to see if it makes a difference. I'd rather spend my money on better food then a gym membership since I am on a budget.

Replies

• JamirahM
    Options
    I agree with you totally! I'm interested to see what others say...
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    70-90% of your weight loss is in the kitchen. The gym vs home debate if your personal preference.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Never set foot in a gym.
  • angelswank
    angelswank Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've lost 113 lbs and all of it at home, I can't afford a gym membership
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I am on a cheapie family plan thing @ the YMCA. I pay 30$ a month. Has all the basics, machines, weights. Plus has a 2 big pools, basketball, tennis, raquetball courts, bunch of classes like Yoga, Zumba which I do every week, boot camp, spin class, etc. etc. and a indoor track. I've never worked out at home. I'm either at the YMCA or just outside.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I started out at home, but moved to gym membership when my fitness level outgrew my pool.( I swim 2k a day) And now I've discovered all sorts of other exercise I love doing, and would never have known about if i did'nt go to gym. Like pump class, weights etc. I think you have to go with what works for you. and as for weightloss, as @Dexy said, that happens in the kitchen..:bigsmile:
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Always been a home trainer. My home gym consists of adjustable dumbbells, assorted weight bands, a pull up bar and a few other basics for weight training.

I search the web for workout routines, and I switch them up, so I don't get board.

Cardio is all running in place, jumping jacks, jump squats, etc. I do own a decent HRM to track myself.

I like it better because I can workout more at my leisure and I own my workout equipment, witch means I'll own it as long as I want it.

I keep adding what i need and want as I can afford it.
  • mjc65
    mjc65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't like gyms, places to go where you can get judged and pay for the privilege. Never worked out in one and never will (slightly militant on this point :) ).

Sure there are some very good ones out there and maybe just the gyms I have thought about signing up for in the past, but I am much more motivated working on my own program of exercises. Although it's been a New Year thing, I have not dropped too many days whereas I know if I had had a gym membership, I would now be paying, but not going.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I finally had to sign up for a gym membership because the demands at home were too frequent to let me work out at home & complete all the exercises I need to do. It's easier for me to get away, get the work out done & then get home to my family. But no, I don't believe you need a gym membership to lose weight. Everyone has their reasons of why they prefer one over the other I suppose.
  • janeinspain
    janeinspain Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I cannot get myself to really work-out at home, I don't stick to it. For me, definitely gym - as long as I got there, I will not waste time and get to work. Plus, there are a lot of options available from cardio to strength training, from machines to weights and all sorts of classes. If you have a nice gym available close to home, that's definitely the way to go!
  • LeeMStephens
    Options
    Most of weight issues come from eating more than your body needs. Period. No matter where you work out, if you eat too much of the wrong things, you're going to gain weight. Period. if your on a budget, put your money into good food and borrow work out DVDs from the library, ask a friend to stop by (my wife used me, she's my best friend), and go to it! My wife has made great strides using this method. She really knows how to get it done from the "been there done that perspective!' If you want to talk to her, let me know and I'll tell her.
  • nurseloopy
    Options
    I am a home person. I love gym classes but don't like having to wait all day to go to a 6pm class. I use DVDs, run and cycle outside and it's perfect as I decide my own schedule. :happy:
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Ok, so i'm only at 14lbs, not a whole lot I suppose, but when I belonged to a gym I only went a few times a week at most.. Since my membership expired I've become so much better working out regularly. I've really come to enjoy running outside
    Really though, it's a personal preference.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    you can get the same results at home as you can get in a gym with little to no equipment... its just whether you have the motivation and determination to do it... choosing which one comes down to personal preference. I do everything at home and love it.
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Ive only lost a stone, but Ive never even been inside a gym! I honestly think I would find it really daunting! I work out at home a lot, zumba 2 on the wii, tae bo, I have a weights bench and dumbells and a rowing machine, also I try to walk (fast!) as often as possible. I couldnt afford to pay for the gym either, as you said, I would rather have good food, and as dexy said, most of your weight loss will be down to what you are eating :)
  • rayleansout
    Options
    I have a complete gym in my home and usually workout there twice a week, I am more motivated when I go the the gym however, I think you can feed off the energy of the place, thats why its important when you pick a gym you pick one where people work hard, not where people are on the stairmaster reading the paper
  • sjackson7707
    sjackson7707 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I workout at home to the Turbo Jam DVD collection :)

13371629.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rlodin
    rlodin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    for me - needs to be gym, or at least away from home. I think it is just a matter of personal preference. My advice would probably be try some stuff at home, or walking/running in the park etc. and if it doesn't work, then look around for a cheap gym membership.

I don't know what it is, the convinience, the atmosphere, the fact that I feel I need to make the most of my money, but after I joined a gym I became a lot more active and spent a lot more time excersising. Of course food type and portion control is maybe around 60% of the deal, but I think being fit is extremely important as well.

Other stuff that keeps me motivated is joining up with friends to excersise, doing sports, etc. Always making sure there is a good supply of upbeat music to excersise to etc.

Good luck! Once your body gets used to frequent excersise you will crave it and you'll love it!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    A bit of both for me. But, then, I actually enjoy the gym, and see it as a little luxury rather than a chore :)x
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I started with the gym now that I've become bored I am turning to home workouts