Going over calories--

Options
Hi, everyone! I have my limits set to lose 2 pounds a week, which gives me 1200 calories per day. Today (well technically yesterday since it's barely past 12), I went over my calories by around 500 (about 1700 total). The thing is, is that the last 800 calories or so were all healthy things, such as 100% fruit juice, berries, strawberries, salad, avocado, fruit crisps, etc. I know it's all healthy, but I did go over my limit. Could this be bad? I mean, it's all healthy, yeah, but is it too much, even know it's all fresh and good for my body?

Replies

• Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's fine to go over it every once in a while. You're not expected to be perfect. Don't worry. ;) Your body will recover. I go over a lot! Lol
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Instead of losing 2 lbs a week you will probably lose only 1 lb a week if you do it consistently. That's all, no biggie, just a slower loss.
    Have a look what your cal allowance is for a 1 lb loss, prob about 1600, 1700 or so anyway.
    The other things is to look at the weekly average, it makes more sense that way. If you average the 1200 NET a week then you should still lose your 2 lbs.

Don't panic, it all comes out in the wash. :)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks guys :) That helps!
  • twiztedgrl69
    twiztedgrl69 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Instead of losing 2 lbs a week you will probably lose only 1 lb a week if you do it consistently. That's all, no biggie, just a slower loss.
    Have a look what your cal allowance is for a 1 lb loss, prob about 1600, 1700 or so anyway.
    The other things is to look at the weekly average, it makes more sense that way. If you average the 1200 NET a week then you should still lose your 2 lbs.

Don't panic, it all comes out in the wash. :)

I agree...look at maybe lower your goal loss...I have mine set at .5/week b/c I kept going over at 1 lb and I've been losing a lot better
  • stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I throw in a "spike" day every couple of weeks where I eat about 2500 cals a day and it hasn't hindered my weight loss at all, and i have heard it helps prevent your body from going into starvation mode if there are days through out your week that you consume considerably under 1200 cals. I am no doctor or nutritionist, and you will find that on here alot of people do different things and have different opinions on "what the right thing to do" is and "what is damaging" good luck on your journey
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I have my limits set to lose 2 pounds a week, which gives me 1200 calories per day. Today (well technically yesterday since it's barely past 12), I went over my calories by around 500 (about 1700 total). The thing is, is that the last 800 calories or so were all healthy things, such as 100% fruit juice, berries, strawberries, salad, avocado, fruit crisps, etc. I know it's all healthy, but I did go over my limit. Could this be bad? I mean, it's all healthy, yeah, but is it too much, even know it's all fresh and good for my body?

No?
    Don't forget the target you have set up is not your MAINTENANCE (eg. the number of calories your body actually burns in a typical day). 1700 would be less than your maintenance, so not only is it not bad to eat 1700 calories, you will also even lose weight.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, my two cents you are not eating enough :ohwell:
    (You can't simply deduce you want to lose two lbs/ week so you eat 1200 calories, doesn't work that way :tongue:
    Take my sheet, would you please fill it for me ?
    http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls