Eating and Depression

Options
I have been depressed for a very long time and everytime a bad depression hits me, I turn to food for comfort. I started therapy for it, and although it has improved some, I still feel the need to eat something. And of course, I crave bad foods, not good for me foods. I learned in therapy that everytime I was sad as a child and a teenager, because my parents were not there to comfort me, I used food as my source.
So, with that being said, does anyone have any advice/ideas on what I can do or what I can replace eating with? And I know a lot of you are going to say exercise, but there are times during the day when I can NOT exercise, so I need other ideas as well. Thank you everyone!

Replies

• firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Chew gums!
  • RoosterNZ
    RoosterNZ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I understand depression, I have suffered with it as well in my past so I wont judge it I know how very frustrating it can be, now I don't know if you do any writing, but I used to write how I was feeling during the day and rate my days from 1 - 10 1(bad) 10(Awesome) I used to be mostly about 2 or 3. Anyway I suggest write your feelings out and also write the positive things you have done throughout the day ( exercise or not) and give yourself credit in these places because YOU do earn them! Like buy yourself a new magazine or book.. and read that book. I hope this helps.. Hang in there!!
  • happiimilk
    happiimilk Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Actually, just came to post a topic about this very subject. I've never been diagnosed with depression, but I am aware of wild mood swings, anxieties that are unfounded and sometimes the feeling of impending doom/helplessness. To solve it, all I want to do is eat, or shirk my duties to myself and work out.

It's really difficult to get out of that mind set, let alone propel yourself forward in something that requires a lot of self-praise and up n up.

I just wanted to share that I could relate I guess. :\ I dont think I really had a point other than, to see what others suggest to help.